Changing seats.......

According to the many members who have fitted them, MX5 seats are a great upgrade for TR4 and later cars, but has anyone managed to fit these seats into a TR3a with any degree of success?

I have just bought a pair of nice MK1 seats with detachable headrests in an attempt to change them for the standard seats in my 3A, and I'm hoping someone may have the necessary experience and can point me in the right direction before I start......? My cursory measurements say its tight at the best of times, but can it be done?

Kind Regards

Ian

Ian

I'm afraid I don't know whether they would fit or not, but (if you don't mind me saying) would they actually look right in a sidescreen car?

With the cutaway doors, it might appear as though you are sitting on the car, rather than in it.

I know it's ultimately down to personal taste ;)

Regards

Peter

I tend to agree with Peter as far as aesthetics are concerned, although they would probably not look too out of place with a hard-top fitted.

Standard seats are perfectly comfortable when reupholstered. However, I understand the desire for head restraint, so if MX5 seats are the preference, I suspect they would need to be bolted directly to the floor as was the case when I fitted Corbeau GT4 bucket seats to my previous TR3A. There was no point using runners as they only fitted in one position.

It's a pity the removable head restraints common in the '60s and '70s are no longer available, although Pilkie managed to find some for his TR6 (but not quite the design I am thinking of).

Ian,

The seats in my TR3 are Corbeau Classic seats supplied by Revington TR. As you know, they fit!

I would suggest that if you visit the website Andrew has added to his post and look at the Corbeau seat size section, you will find something about sizes.

Comparing the narrow Corbeau Classic seat size to the size of the MX5 seat will be helpful to you. The actual shape of the outside of the seat back may still be a problem so take careful measurements.

My Corbeau seats are hard up against the door trim when the doors are closed.

As has already been suggested, you will need to mount the seat as low as possible and the difficulty may be in sourcing a set of appropriate runners unless TR3 runners can be made to work. The various conversion brackets will put the seats too high up in the car.

As you know, I wouldn't want to have standard TR3 seats in my car. Others are often much more comfortable.

My TR4 rally car will have a pair of Ridgard Rally Seats fitted. These are very very comfortable but not cheap.

David

Edited by david ferry

Thanks everyone, your assistance is much appreciated.

David, thanks, I did find your seats pretty comfortable whilst I was a passenger, not sure if my 30" inside leg and 5ft 9" frame would reach the pedals from the drivers seat whilst at the same time enable me a comfortable arm distance to the gear lever and steering wheel, hence my prefered option for a recliner, more options/variations, and detachable headrests would be a bonus. (I am fitting seat belts similar to yours, they are great.)

The standard seats I have are way too firm, I still seem to sit too high (I did have the springs reduced in height by wiring them together, but all this did was make them even more firm!), and have a fixed back, so its a compromise between legs and arm positioning to operate everything comfortably.

In Roger Williams book he suggests ditching the spring bases and going for new foams, might be worth a go - maybe I should have read it before buying the MX5 seats!

Thanks again everyone

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Only joined the Forum today as I was told of the discussion on MX5 seats.

It is my car photographed in Roger Williams book and I put them in when building the car in 2000.

They are a very snug fit and to provide some adjustment I used the MX5 runners and also cut away the carpet on the side of the transmission tunnel beside the seats. This way adjustment of the back of the seat is possible. I also fitted seat belts. They are very comfortable especially for tall drivers, but I would agree they do not add to the appearance of the car and would not be for purists or originality owners.

I used Corbeau high back seats when I was stage rallying a previous 3A (which I destroyed!) which also were a tight fit , but then Corbeau did not have a low back seat. I have lost touch with this detail as I live in France now but still have to get any spares I need from the UK.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi, Only joined the Forum today as I was told of the discussion on MX5 seats.

It is my car photographed in Roger Williams book and I put them in when building the car in 2000.

They are a very snug fit and to provide some adjustment I used the MX5 runners and also cut away the carpet on the side of the transmission tunnel beside the seats. This way adjustment of the back of the seat is possible. I also fitted seat belts. They are very comfortable especially for tall drivers, but I would agree they do not add to the appearance of the car and would not be for purists or originality owners.

I used Corbeau high back seats when I was stage rallying a previous 3A (which I destroyed!) which also were a tight fit , but then Corbeau did not have a low back seat. I have lost touch with this detail as I live in France now but still have to get any spares I need from the UK.

10/5/09

Trevor

I read R W's book with your red TR3a Miata (MX5) seats and would like to hear from you for a bit more detail on this install. I have a pair or early Miata seats and have had covers made to match the interior of my TR2 (red int). Any hints and trouble areas woluld be most helpful!

Kind Regards, Dan Cronin

adcronin@ameritech.net

Farmington Hills, MI 28336 USA

According to the many members who have fitted them, MX5 seats are a great upgrade for TR4 and later cars, but has anyone managed to fit these seats into a TR3a with any degree of success?

I have just bought a pair of nice MK1 seats with detachable headrests in an attempt to change them for the standard seats in my 3A, and I'm hoping someone may have the necessary experience and can point me in the right direction before I start......? My cursory measurements say its tight at the best of times, but can it be done?

Kind Regards

Ian

Hello Ian. This link will bring you to a friends, Bob Danielson, web site and an article explaining how he refurbished a set of Miata seats and installed them in his TR6. Granted this is not about a TR3A but it may be helpful to you and others.

Miata seats in TR6

Hello Ian. This link will bring you to a friends, Bob Danielson, web site and an article explaining how he refurbished a set of Miata seats and installed them in his TR6. Granted this is not about a TR3A but it may be helpful to you and others.

Miata seats in TR6

What an excellent site. Nice that someone would take so much trouble to document things. Reminds me a little of Nelson Riedel.

One-piece MX5 seats.... hmmm. I can see the aesthetic acceptability in the US, compared to the US-spec TR6 high backs, but in the UK, hmmm. And doubly so in a sidescreen.

Here's a shot of an MX5 in my 6, before I recovered them. Comfortable, but visually I regret them as they do rather dominate the car.

Ivor

Oldnnew-1.jpg

Littlenlarge.jpg

Bothseats.jpg

Hi

I had Corbeau seats in my TR4A and recently changed them to MX5 seats.

The attached (I hope!) photos should give some indication of the differences.

The MX5 seat is about an inch or so higher but can recline so is much more comfortable. I am 5' 10" and can still see out of the windscreen.

The Corbeau seats have runners and head rests, grey with royal blue piping.

I have them for sale if anyone wants them

John

post-3984-1255031679_thumb.jpg

post-3984-1255031835_thumb.jpg

post-3984-1255032241_thumb.jpg

post-3984-1255031679_thumb.jpg

post-3984-1255031835_thumb.jpg

post-3984-1255032241_thumb.jpg

Kind Regards

Ian

Frankly I just don't see the reasoning!

Modern seats look totally out of place and I always find the standard seats very comfortable indeed.

Just completed 6 days fairly heavy driving in my TR3A down to Angouleme and back and both myself and my co-driver had no problems at all. In fact he is a TR6 owner and was impressed at how comfortable he was. His wife was a bit shocked that we didn't have any seat belts tho! I think she was quite surprised to see him come back in one piece.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ian

I hope this is not too late but I have fitted the same MX5seats in my post 60000 TR3a I totally took off the seat belt fitments took a big hammer to the prop shaft tunnel and removed the under felt in that area. On the outside I left the pvc covering but removed the hard backing I have the back adjuster on the outside. Removed the MX5 runners flattened them re welded the one you have to cut. Brazed 4 long bolts to go through the floor, with out the carpet offered it up back on the seat and drilled the four holes only the rear outside one needs careful positioning as it goes through the chassis out rigger. Cut the bolts to right length, When fitted in my car although fully back I had to adjust the peddles to suit (rods in the engine compartment) I also bent the hand brake leaver (using heat) so it is now much closer to the tunnel although I still fowl the dip switch with my left leg. On the looks front they do look different but they hold me much better when cornering have variable back adjustment and as I have a Breeze buster screen behind them when the hood is down they the head rests are not so noticeable. They fold forward and the head rests come out so they go under the tonneaux As for originality I still have the original seats but as I am waiting to have new knee joints next year I am not really in a position to judge.

Harry

Edited by Harry nut and bolt

Thanks Harry

In the end I had new seat bases made by TR Bitz, as suggested in Roger williams book ( I spoke to John Sykes and he has done many of these for exactly the same problems I was having). The new bases are not as deep, meaning there is more back support as the seat back comes a little higher, the bases are concave instead of convex so you sit in them and not on them, and the new foams are much more compliant than the rock hard springs. Whilst it may not be the ultimate solution, there is no metal bashing/alterations, and they look the same as the originals, and they solved my "comfort" problem.........

The MX5 seats were sold very quickly via the forum.

I now have a pair of "as new" spring seat bases, with foam, for sale if anyone wishes to buy them, no covers as they were fitted to my new bases.

Kind Regards

Ian

Kind Regards

Ian

Hello Ian, another nice thing about the Miata seats, the center section is not directly attached to the sides, so that you can insert one of the inflatable lumbar supports in each seat. The bulb goes down the outboard side of the seat, completely out of sight. I must admit, I tend NOT to use the support except on very long trips when I am getting sleepy. Then I inflate it up just to keep me uncomfortable. I never quite understood posture, when you sit up properly, it HURTS, but when you sit like a sack of potatoes, it feels GOOD.

Good luck with the seats,

George

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I took a photo of a tr3 smallmouth which had mx5 seats fitted, if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the interior without the owner in it, but it shows a bit of the looks at the back of the car.

I haven't had any problems with the original seats fitted in my tr2, so i'll stick to original

Cheers,

Edwin

Edited by EdwinTiben

Hi,

I took a photo of a tr3 smallmouth which had mx5 seats fitted, if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the interior without the owner in it, but it shows a bit of the looks at the back of the car.

I haven't had any problems with the original seats fitted in my tr2, so i'll stick to original

Cheers,

Edwin

Just on the subject of seats, though not MX5 specifically. Has anyone considered the seats from a K11 Series Nissan Micra? Much more common over there then over here, but I've found my Micra's seats to be very comfortable (for me) and as the Micra is itself not a wide car then perhaps Micra seats could fit a TR quite well.

Mychael

Edited by Mychael

Hi Mychael,

over here the Nissan Micra is the ultimate geriatric mobile - much loved by those who should have given up driving years ago, but who insist on clogging up the roads at speeds suited to a Moggie Minor. Taken over from the Allegro and the Maestro . . . .

The idea of putting a Micra seat into a TR is so far beyond the pale it's inconceivable ! :lol:

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Mychael,

over here the Nissan Micra is the ultimate geriatric mobile - much loved by those who should have given up driving years ago, but who insist on clogging up the roads at speeds suited to a Moggie Minor. Taken over from the Allegro and the Maestro . . . .

The idea of putting a Micra seat into a TR is so far beyond the pale it's inconceivable ! :lol:

Cheers,

Alec

Hmm, I'd best keep quiet then about my previous Morry ownership over the years.. lol. actually one of my Micras, I own two (no sniggering now), is a rapid little beast as it's Turbo charged. Even my Semi stock one (we only had the 1.3litre version here) is pleasantly 'nippy' and can comfortably cruise at 120k (about 70 mph) and return 45mpg.

Mychael

Anyone else received an email from Moss announcing they are now supplying Morris Minor parts?

Thin end of the wedge? TR owners migrating in their dotage?

Actually, I've nothing against MMs and once considered buying a modified one - they can be very fast, especially with a B-series engine, and made to handle surprisingly well.

Edited by BrianC

Anyone else received an email from Moss announcing they are now supplying Morris Minor parts?

Thin end of the wedge? TR owners migrating in their dotage?

Actually, I've nothing against MMs and once considered buying a modified one - they can be very fast, especially with a B-series engine, and made to handle surprisingly well.

In our Morris Minor club, I had the only side valve Morry with extractors and Twin SU's. Raised the top speed from around 56mph. to 63mph lol.

Mike