Fitting Carbs, Inlet and Exhaust Manifolds from a TR4A to a 3A problems incurred

I HAVE BOUGHT A TR4A MANIFOLD WITH CARBS, ALSO AN EXHAUST MANIFOLD. THE DOWNPIPE SECTION FROM THE EXISTING MANIFOLD IS STEEL AND THE TWO BACK BOXES ARE STAINLESS.

THE 4A EXHAUST MANIFOLD HAS TWO PIPES. IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE STAINLESS STEEL DOWNPIPES WITH TWO INTO ONE TO FIT THE EXISTING SILENCERS WITH NOT TOO MUCH AGGRO. ALSO WHERE DO YOU PUT THE HEATER CONNECTION FROM THE BULKHEAD. I WAS THINKING OF FITTING A REVINGTON HEATER LATER, COULD THE INLET BE PUT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BULKHEAD WITH THE OTHER INLET PIPE. THE CHOKE CABLE LOOKS A BIT LONG, WOULD THIS HAVE TO BE RE-ROUTED? ALSO THE AUTOMATIC ADVANCE AND RETARD PIPE IS SHORTER? THIS IS NO PROBLEM AS THE ADVANCE HAS NEVER WORKED ON THE DISTRIBUTOR AND NEEDS SORTING. THE CAR HAS BEEN REGULARLY SERVICED BY A SO CALLED EXPERT FOR FORTUNES, WHAT A LOT OF BODGERS ABOUT! ! !

Good luck with this but it looks like an awful lot of work and aggravation. I have enough trouble trying to stop the regular exhaust from hitting the chassis and the floor. The carbs may be better but the exhaust is work intensive.

Roy ?

Welcome to the forum

I would check the inlet manifold will fit your head if you do not have the high port head on your car then it will not fit. I believe there is also a problem fitting the air cleaners in a 3A as there is not enough room without making modifications to the inner wing, the only option being short ram tubes. For the exhaust Moss used to sell a couple of adapter pieces TT5019 and TT5027 to fit it to the existing exhaust. I cant help with the Choke or heater issues

Cheers

Alan

Leaving aside the myriad practical issues, I don't understand why anyone would want to do this. There are better and easier ways to upgrade the inlet and exhaust systems on a TR3A and it doesn't cost a great deal. I think this would be an exercise in masochism, but I admire the spirit of ingenuity (albeit, IMO, misguided).

Roy

Leaving aside the twin exhaust issue - although I agree with the other members views i.e. why?

I have fitted SU HS6s, inlet and exhaust manifolds from a 4A and used K&N cones filters without any trouble or clearance wing issues (see photo below which also shows the route for the choke cable and heater hose) and I will be shortly (probably) be fitting a s/s exhaust extractor manifold. I will connect this to my standard s/s exhaust but I have removed the rear box.

With these simple mods and currently without the s/s exhaust extractor manifold fitted my car goes like stink and sounds pretty good, particularly the induction from the K&Ns - ain't that right Stuart and Baldrick? B)

If you PM me with your email address I will email you some more photos.

Copy%20of%201958%20Triumph%20TR3A%20engine.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
Roy

Leaving aside the twin exhaust issue - although I agree with the other members views i.e. why?

I have fitted SU HS6s, inlet and exhaust manifolds from a 4A and used K&N cones filters without any trouble or clearance wing issues (see photo below which also shows the route for the choke cable and heater hose) and I will be shortly (probably) be fitting a s/s exhaust extractor manifold. I will connect this to my standard s/s exhaust but I have removed the rear box.

With these simple mods and currently without the s/s exhaust extractor manifold fitted my car goes like stink and sounds pretty good, particularly the induction from the K&Ns - ain't that right Stuart and Baldrick? B)

Cheers

Andrew

Sorry Andrew couldnt hear it over the roar of twin 40s on open velocity stacks ;):lol::lol::lol:

Stuart

You might find difficulty with the exhaust pipes fouling the chassis first where they turn horizontal then where they pass through the cruciform. When the Derrington extractor manifold on my daughter's TR2 finally got too many pin holes I went to Torque Techiques in Wilton just outside Salisbury and they made up an excellent bespoke extractor manifold and fitted it for less than you would expect. And it doesn't foul the chassis anywhere. If you fit something of your own you need to check that the flanges that fit onto the head are all the same thickness otherwise you'll be bodging things. Good luck JJC

• 10 years later...
On 4/11/2009 at 11:02 AM, Andrew Smith said:

Roy

Cheers

Andrew

Saw the TR3A photos! Fabulous. Also really like the 4A exhaust manifold solution for better breathing on a sidescreen car, coupled with the banana inlet manifold. Must be quieter than a 4-2-1 branch manifold but still better than stock sidescreen cast iron item?

8 hours ago, David Brancaleone said:

Saw the TR3A photos! Fabulous. Also really like the 4A exhaust manifold solution for better breathing on a sidescreen car, coupled with the banana inlet manifold. Must be quieter than a 4-2-1 branch manifold but still better than stock sidescreen cast iron item?

David - if you fancy having the same for yourself, I have both these items available for sale - the SU carbs are in Classifieds and the exhaust manifold in the Forum for sale section.

PM me if in interested

Cheers  Rich

I have a similar inlet set up to Andrew, although it is not as shiny.  I have a 4a inlet manifold with HS6 carbs and a pair of chrome pancake air filters from a company called ANG.  There are no inner wing problems and the set  up seems to work well.

My exhaust manifold came from Phoenix with a standard 24" rear box and I fabricated the 2" diameter pipework myself from a collection of bits I picked up at the International many years ago.  I welded 3mm packers onto the clamping plate of the exhaust manifold to bring it up to the same thickness as the inlet manifold so that the clamps would get a good grip on it.

Rgds Ian

8 hours ago, rcreweread said:

David - if you fancy having the same for yourself, I have both these items available for sale - the SU carbs are in Classifieds and the exhaust manifold in the Forum for sale section.

PM me if in interested

Cheers  Rich

Rich, excuse my abysmal ignorance, I don't know how to PM you. Where is the appropriate "button"? THe answer is yes to the 4A manifold, but for practicalities show me where to go to do the PM, thanks.

David

to pm anyone. 
tap on their name

then tap on the envelope 

this then open a message service that is just like email. A private messaging service

D5303271-493C-4A93-8008-966F5FDC349F.png

DBB917C0-F248-4D78-8327-FAFF8754CB1B.png

D0803F9C-3AA0-4C0E-A053-3920EEAB80C5.png

Edited by Hamish

David - have sent you a PM ( personal message ) - go the top right hand of your screen when you are in a forum page and you will see an envelope icon - this is your personal mailbox , and there should be a little red tag by it signifying you have a new unread message - click on the envelope and all will be revealed

Cheers Rich