Fan Belt & Rear Suspension Spring (HELP !!!!!!!!).

Hi Guy's,

Words of Wisdom needed.

I noticed today that I have a split in my fan belt, so I loosened off the Dynamo, removed the belt from the pulleys but could not pull the belt over the fan blades because it would not go between the fan hub extension & the steering rack. Have I missed something or just plain stupid.

After giving up on the above I decided to replace the rear suspension springs as the back end looked as if it was sagging. With the old RED spring removed it measured about an inch sorter than the replacement spring. With no load the old springs measured about 11.5 inch & the new about 10.5inch. I would assume that if I fit the new springs the back end will be lower ?????????, which defeats the object of the exercise.

You help in both matters will be greatly appreciated.

The Saint

Greetings Saintly person,

logic would suggest that the newer springs will make the body sit lower. However it depends on the spring rate. Do you know the rate of the old and new springs. There are a number of lengths and spring rates available.

Fit the new ones and see what happens.

According to the Moss catalogue 345Lbs/in are what you need - the originals were 280Lb/in.

Interestingly Moss only quote fitted heights which are far less than your free heights.

Roger

Greeting Saintly person again,

I forgot about the fan belt. unlike the TR6 the 4/4A should come off without too much fighting. Have you tried lifting the engine(jack under sump) Think about a thin belt convertion for the future.

Roger

the Saint? taht takes me back a bit.

re the fan belt, slacken off engine mounting nut on one side until its nearly removed, say a quarter turn left then a block of wood and a trolley jack under the sump gives you enough clearance. narro w belt is eventually the way to go, but when I had a thick belt used to have a spare - cable tied to the crossmember so fitting by the roadside aleviated all the above.

If you do this wrap the spare in clingfilm of tinfoil or something simlilar, to preserve it.

john.