Free play on Diff drive flanges

Hi fella's,

I mentioned this in someone else's thread but I'm still unsure as to how much is permissible.

The drive flange can be rotated (left and right) by about 3mm, no drive shafts connected. Considering that the Diff was recently overhauled, I think this is a lot of play. Someone mentioned 'Spider gears'. Can anyone offer some more info as I don't want to put this on the car and have clonking.

Cheers

Tony

Hi fella's,

I mentioned this in someone else's thread but I'm still unsure as to how much is permissible.

The drive flange can be rotated (left and right) by about 3mm, no drive shafts connected. Considering that the Diff was recently overhauled, I think this is a lot of play. Someone mentioned 'Spider gears'. Can anyone offer some more info as I don't want to put this on the car and have clonking.

Cheers

Tony

Tony, that doesnt sound like a lot to me even for a rebuilt diff. This is 1930's technology after all and there is a certain amount of lash required in the crownwheel and pinion design. Maybe the guy that rebuilt it would be a could place to start especially if he does a lot of these.

Stan

Tony,

The final test after diff assembly is to check the backlash on the crown wheel, it should be 4 to 6 thou.I'd ask whoever overhauled the unit to confirm that this was done.If it wasn't done I'd get it checked before putting the unit in the car.

Regards,

Thanks for the replies guy's, I have the opportunity of purchasing a 3.7 Diff fairly cheaply which has also been overhauled. I'll compare them with each other and the worst case scenario is, I have a spare diff.

Cheers

Tony

:blink: With all the upgrades you've done I'm surprised you haven't gone for a Z lsd with Goodparts kit? :unsure:

Ivor

Richard sells a kit to allow you to use a Nissan rear end.

http://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=16

That's the one. Over here in the UK, Zs are being broken in significant numbers as their overcomplicated electronickery makes them uneconomic to maintain. But oddly enough an item one hardly ever sees on Fleabay is the diff. I asked a breaker why this is so, the response was to the effect that they are so bomb-proof no one ever needs a replacement.

I got my Z diff (still in my brother's garage) by emailing all those breaking Zs until I found one willing to heave the diff out and sell it to me. I paid about £100. For a bombproof lsd :blink:

Ivor

Thanks for the replies guy's, I have the opportunity of purchasing a 3.7 Diff fairly cheaply which has also been overhauled. I'll compare them with each other and the worst case scenario is, I have a spare diff.

Cheers

Tony

Tony

Pilkie will buy it for his second coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in his spare TR6.