Clutch master cylinder

Hi guys,

Need to replace my clutch master cylinder as it is leaking badly and its getting progressively worse. Is it a relatively straightforward job? I'm guessing remove, replace, bleed. Is this right?

Thanks

Hi,

My cylinder is old Girling 3/4 inch.As part of a campaign to get the clutch system up to scratch I removed mine,stripped it and checked that the bores weren't pitted then put in a reconditioning kit.There were no dramas other than getting the valve bits on the stem on the end of the piston in the right order.I believe these master cylinders were made with two bore sizes so you should check this before purchasing parts.

Regards,

Hi guys,

Need to replace my clutch master cylinder as it is leaking badly and its getting progressively worse. Is it a relatively straightforward job? I'm guessing remove, replace, bleed. Is this right?

Thanks

Hi EliTR6

Don't forget to bleed the slave cylinder as well!!!

(Not that the Master Cyl can be bled satisfactorily on its own!)

Rgds

Edited by ianhoward

Straight forward job ,if you have a steel pipe from the master cyl to the flexy pipe on the slave be very carefull they fracture easily when trying to undo may be wise to replace at same time. the bends are simple with copper replacement.

Alan

Hi Eli,

I did a clutch master cylinder seal change at CLM08. The only problems we had were that all his union nuts were rounded off and bleeding it can be problematic as the cylinder wants to react against fluid in the system and if the pipes are empty no reaction. To overcome make sure that their is fluid in all the pipes before starting the bleeding.

Best of luck

Roger

Nice one guys, thanks

TR Shop has a great offer on tight now

Will give it a go shortly. Other than the leak, car is running great at the mo. It's been to France and back 2 weekends in a row and I've ragged the **** out of it on the motorway and it still behaved.

The 0.7" cylinder gives much less pedal travel, ie better.

I believe it helps with bleeding if you undo the slave cylinder and rotate it until the bleed nipple is on top, then when you've finished rotate it back to the proper position.

Ivor