Front Hubs

Hi everyone;

I've just stripped and cleaned the front hubs in preparation for new bearings and discs.

The Bentley book (and others) talks about "partially filling" the hub with grease on re-assembly but I don't seem to be able to find a specific amount recommended anywhere. Now the void between the bearings is, I estimate, quite large even allowing for the stub axle and will consume a considerable quantity.

Too much grease may not be quite as bad as too little but I'd be grateful for your interpretation of "partial".

As always, my thanks in advance for any guidance.

Rog

Hi everyone;

I've just stripped and cleaned the front hubs in preparation for new bearings and discs.

The Bentley book (and others) talks about "partially filling" the hub with grease on re-assembly but I don't seem to be able to find a specific amount recommended anywhere. Now the void between the bearings is, I estimate, quite large even allowing for the stub axle and will consume a considerable quantity.

Too much grease may not be quite as bad as too little but I'd be grateful for your interpretation of "partial".

As always, my thanks in advance for any guidance.

Rog

Hi Rog, I asked this question recently and got a broad range of answers from none (waste of time, none of it will get into the bearings) to 1/4 full. In the end I used a bearing packer to fill the bearings, put a good sized dollop into the hub and half filled the cap. I figure any excess will find its way out and I'm monitoring things to see how it goes.

Stan

Hi Rog, I asked this question recently and got a broad range of answers from none (waste of time, none of it will get into the bearings) to 1/4 full. In the end I used a bearing packer to fill the bearings, put a good sized dollop into the hub and half filled the cap. I figure any excess will find its way out and I'm monitoring things to see how it goes.

Stan

Well I'll be dolloped! :lol:

Thanks Stan

Well I'll be dolloped! :lol:

Thanks Stan

One other data point. When I pulled my front hubs off this winter the old grease in the hubs was as hard as a rock so I really dont think it was doing much good. I forget what the maintenance window is for these hubs but I'll be a lot more diligent in future when it comes to checking bearing end float and re-packing the bearings.

Stan

Does anyone use anything other than LM, lithium grease, perhaps a synthetic type?

Rod

My bearings came as a kit complete with grease (LM) and the answer to the question "How much grease"? seems to be 40 grms (at least that was what was printed on the pack).

Thanks to Stan and also Richard for his post last September regarding bearing adjustment. Test drive later today - whoopee.

Rog ;)

For the last 30 years I've used Castrol HTB.Its not soap based (it's bentone clay base -whatever that is) and rated to 200 degrees C.Temperature resistance has always been important to me with disc brakes.

As you chaps probably aware-you cannot mix greases with different bases.I normally thoroughly clean the hubs and bearings,visually check the bearings and race surfaces for the minutest sign of cracking or scoring,then reassemble with working the grease through the bearings and adding enough extra grease to make sure the bearings run in grease but there is enough volume left to let the grease expand without being forced from the hub.In my experience when the hub is pulled down the next tme the excess grease appears to generally be where it was originally placed.So the excess really contributes nothing but peace of mind.

Regards,

Guy,

Which one?

They have a number of different greases.

AMS Oil is the manufacturer.

Here's a link to their website synthetic grease section.

David

Hi David,

Will have to search the garage to find it, you know i have just cleaned it up so may take a while. :unsure:

Cheers

Guy

I have on file from Castrol technical, not so many years ago, a suggestion for the use of APXT for wheelbearings - whereas for UJs and CVs their LMM was the preference.

My understanding at the time was that the use of molybdenum disulphide greases in at least some types of wheelbearing applications could lead to a degree of skidding and consequent uneven wear.

Cheers,

Alec