Off to buy some parts

A bit of an unusual post here. I have just had a week trip to California confirmed (leaving tomorrow!) and as such want to take the opportunity to buy some parts from Moss as the prices of parts here in Oz is outrageous (ie AUD$135 for a water valve vs AUD$45 from Moss).

I have a 1972 CP that is is good condition all around, but would appreciate any advice on what common consumables people would recommend to have in a box in he garage.

One thing that springs to mind are thrust washers - any other ideas?

I thing that I know needs a bit of work is the suspension. I am interested in upgrading my sway bar links . Any comments on these? Here is my current sway bar...

Similarly, any comments on the prothane polyurethane bushings? and polyurethane suspension bushings?

And what about the steering rack upgrade? Is it worth it?

Finally I have had no time to investigate lately, but I am having trouble getting into 2nd gear on downshift (even heel and toeing) and suspect the synchro might be playing up. Any suggestions as what parts might be required to fix this?

I can always sell them if I don't need them back home!

Thanks in advance

Stallie

Edited by stallie

Stallie ,I travel a bit but I've never been tempted to buy parts while I'm in the US or UK just because I'm there.For me buying parts is a fairly considered decision.I often buy Moss and Rimmer's parts off the Healy Factory and Pickard's in Melbourne because I can discuss the the range of parts available with them before purchase.As you point out the mark ups are outrageous - but it's better than ending up with a shed full of parts that don't fit.If you want to buy cheaply ,sight unseen why not buy direct from Moss,Rimmer Bros.etc.There is only 10% GST on parts imported direct over the supplier's invoiced price.I also suspect you will find it very hard to sell surplus TR6 parts in Australia -look at the bloke trying to sell tail lights on ebay tonight-he's been at it for quite a while.

Second gear is a real weak spot with TR6 gearboxes.I wouldn't rush to buy TR6 gearbox parts they differ greatly between gearboxes that are supposed to be interchangeable.Are you even certain you have a TR6 gearbox?A lot in Oz have been changed to later,stronger Triumph gearboxes from other models.

That said,have a good trip.

Regards.

Whilst you are at Moss in Galeta have a look in the garage the other side of the main highway to their turning as he has some "Interesting " cars there.

Stuart.

Stallie,

trfella's experience with the polybush's on a recent thread is typical of mine with my TR6.With these older cars you really don't know for certain what part you need until you physically inspect the old part.People like us have been messing about with these cars for 40 years.I am very reluctant to buy parts "on spec".

Regards,

Good move Stallie.With regard to your gearbox,make sure you are not using a hypoid gear oil in it.Hypoid gears slide along the teeth in operation and require a lot of friction modifiers.These modifiers also stop the synchro rings from working properly.I had a clutch replaced years ago while I was away and when I picked the car up the gearbox operation was terrible-which I put down to the new clutch and my failing memory of how bad the gearbox must have been.I suspect that during the replacement the gearbox oil was drained and replaced with modern GL5 oil.I replaced the gearbox/OD oil with Penrite 75W/90 multi grade GL4 gear oil and the change in synchro operation was nothing short of a miracle.

Have a good trip.

Regards,

Just a friendly bit of advice, I would be very careful which suppliers sychro rings I used. I had to do mine twice, and I knew about the problem beforehand. It is a lot of work to do this job twice. Now, I know who has NOS, however, they would be expensive if they would even sell them. Most likely I would pay the NOS price.