what do i do with my diff

hi i have a small amount of play on my diff when i ease up and then speed up you can here the play being taken up . have change all the uj s so its not them . do i leave it be or go for rebuild or exchange one any advice welcome .I live in kent can anyone tell me of a good diff rebuilder around here thanks rod

hi i have a small amount of play on my diff when i ease up and then speed up you can here the play being taken up . have change all the uj s so its not them . do i leave it be or go for rebuild or exchange one any advice welcome .I live in kent can anyone tell me of a good diff rebuilder around here thanks rod

Hiya Rodkaz, exactly how much play do you have?. If I look at my drive shafts going into the Diff and rotate them left and right, I have about 2 to 3 mm of play. Is yours the same?. I have been told that would be ok but the Diff has been rebuilt and I'm still not certain. Advice anyone?.

Tony

I had so much play in my diff, it clunked when I shifted gears, this was after new bearings and ring and pinion. The play was due to worn spider gears. I changed the shims under the spider gears to thicker ones, this took care of the clunk and play. A lot of people overlook the wear in the spider gears when they overhaul a diff. . Hope this helps.

Play can also occur in the drive shaft splines & packing with thick grease can help here. If it is the diff unit, the play is only slight & it isn’t making any undue noises (apart from a slight clonk) you may do just as well to live with it for a while unless it really bothers you.

As for reconditioning the diff itself; it’s not rocket science but whoever does it should know how to set it up properly & the spider gears are often overlooked as TR6 Poor states; on balance, probably best to go for a recon unit from one of the recognised suppliers.

hi as a fellow Kent lad i can perhaps help as i have 2 pet diff/gearbox wizards and also a spare diff that could be fitted as a final decider ,i trust that you ment the propshaft ujs as well?as has been said there are so many moving parts around the diff that can cause a clunk whilst not the diff itself, the worst of these that i have found twice was a lose wirewheel adaptor.im in the sevenoaks area

What's this with Kent and diff rebuilds? I live in Kent too, and am currently rebuilding my diff. My planet and sunwheels are totally shot. I have managed to get a pair of new planet wheels but nobody has any sunwheels. Before I resort to taking pot luck and buying a second-hand diff in the hope that the sunwheels are OK, does anybody have a spare pair that they want to sell? Does anyone know who might still stock them. I have tried all the big names.

The new planet wheels are the early type with no groove on the teeth. They look like they can be used with both the early and late type of sunwheel. Can anyone confirm this? I'm after part nos. 113187 or 153384

Here's hoping...

Chris