body tub inner sill clearance problem

Just got my body tub back from the welder where an extensive amount of work was done on my miserable tub. New inner and outer sills, new floors, and a multitude of repairs to the bulkheads. The doors and wings were temporarily installed so all the body lines would line up properly. Now, the problem: the brackets that are welded to the inner sills come up as much as 1 inch below the holes in the floor that the mounting bolts pass through. I don't remember any spacers when I removed the tub years ago. The floors have to mount to the top of the inner sill (correct?) so why should this be off as much as it it? I will have to remove the four brackets on the inner sills and re-weld them as much as 1 inch higher. Is there something I am missing here?

One inch is a little bit too much, 1 cm is roughly what yoiu should have as there is a square spacer made of lining initially (now made of rubber). one remark : buy the mounting tub pack (all spacers and nuts and bolts); it's worth it

Rgds

G.G www.trmentvotre.com

Just got my body tub back from the welder where an extensive amount of work was done on my miserable tub. New inner and outer sills, new floors, and a multitude of repairs to the bulkheads. The doors and wings were temporarily installed so all the body lines would line up properly. Now, the problem: the brackets that are welded to the inner sills come up as much as 1 inch below the holes in the floor that the mounting bolts pass through. I don't remember any spacers when I removed the tub years ago. The floors have to mount to the top of the inner sill (correct?) so why should this be off as much as it it? I will have to remove the four brackets on the inner sills and re-weld them as much as 1 inch higher. Is there something I am missing here?

One inch is a little bit too much, 1 cm is roughly what yoiu should have as there is a square spacer made of lining initially (now made of rubber). one remark : buy the mounting tub pack (all spacers and nuts and bolts); it's worth it

Rgds

G.G www.trmentvotre.com\

I appreciate your response but I must say most people do not understand the problem I have. I have the body mounting kit. The kit is used to take up the 1 cm you describe between the pads welded to the outriggers on the frame and the brackets welded to the inner sills. In other words, the body tub to the frame. My problem is too much space from the brackets on the sills to the floors. I'll try to post some pictures

post-3921-1237137730_thumb.jpg

post-3921-1237137768_thumb.jpg

post-3921-1237137730_thumb.jpg

post-3921-1237137768_thumb.jpg

There are black textured fabric/rubber pads about 1/4" thick by 4 inches square with four holes which fit there. I had about two for each location. I used new ones during the restoration. Only two of the four holes are used.

When I restored my 1958 TR3A from 1987 to 1990, I bought new inner and outer sills, new floor pans, etc. I did the MIG welding myself. I remember that I had to grind through the welds for all four of those supports to remove them. Two on one side were about 1/2" too low and the two on the other side were about 1/4" the other way. They were correctly positioned in the longitudinal direction but not in the vertical direction.

I would not know why someone would have welded them 1" too low. You could remove them and re-weld them or you could use about 6 or 8 of the black rubber spacer pads to "fix" the problem.

There are black textured fabric/rubber pads about 1/4" thick by 4 inches square with four holes which fit there. I had about two for each location. I used new ones during the restoration. Only two of the four holes are used.

When I restored my 1958 TR3A from 1987 to 1990, I bought new inner and outer sills, new floor pans, etc. I did the MIG welding myself. I remember that I had to grind through the welds for all four of those supports to remove them. Two on one side were about 1/2" too low and the two on the other side were about 1/4" the other way. They were correctly positioned in the longitudinal direction but not in the vertical direction.

I would not know why someone would have welded them 1" too low. You could remove them and re-weld them or you could use about 6 or 8 of the black rubber spacer pads to "fix" the problem.

That's pretty much what I wanted to hear! So I'm not crazy after all. Whoever welded these incorrectly must have worked for Triumph way back when.

No, the brackets will have to be moved up 5/16" . Use a Dremel tool with their reinforced cutting wheel to remove the welds and slide the bracket up so that it is 1/4" to 5/16" from the ledge of the inner sill. (That is where my original inner sill brackets were positioned.) Then weld them in place. Really not much of a bother at all, although a little easier with the sills off the car.

I did point this fault out on here some time ago. All the repro inner sills that I have fitted have had to have the brackets removed and re aligned to touch the floor pan. Painfully obvious when you have an original to compare with. Serious pain to have to adjust when already fitted to the car. A good datum point for the body shims is to use one rubber shim top and bottom of one steel shim on each mount and then work up or down as necessary.

Stuart

I'd be tempted to take the wimp's way out and use extra packing to make up the difference.

The only problem there is the rubber packers will squash down as you tighten the mounting bolts and it will pull the floor panel down . Makes it difficult to get the level of the shell right.

Stuart

The only problem there is the rubber packers will squash down as you tighten the

mounting bolts and it will pull the floor panel down .

Makes it difficult to get the level of the shell right.

Stuart

Just what I was about to say.

If you do go down the extra packings route, don't fill ALL the gap with rubber packings,

have a set of plates made up, thinkness to allow for 3-4 rubber packings as well.

AlanR

Hi bnw,

I know exactly what you mean, I have replaced both floors on my tub but not the inner sills.

On the RHS the new floor fitted in and sits just above the inner sill brackets whilst the top is flush with the inner sill.

On the LHS despite trying to line everything up to match, the RHS the inner sill brackets are sitting about 1/2 inch below the floor.

I deliberated over cutting off the brackets and re-welding them and discarded that idea - instead I will make up some appropriate thickness shims when I put the body back onto the chassis and pull everything down square. I will use it as a means to adjust the floor flat because I put a bit too much heat into it when I welded it into place and have dished it slightly.

The other thing I will do is make sure that there is plenty of grease on the shims so that they slip in easily and provide some corrosion protection because it was clear that there had been corrosion in between the floor (or what remained of it) and the inner sill bracket - almost certainly as a result of rain getting into the car and sitting in a puddle in the nice little 'well' that surrounds each of the fixing bolts.

Rgds Ian

Have you tried the tub on the chassis yet? If the sill brackets are too low then you will have an enormous gap at the front sloping mountings in the engine bay also the same big gap at the rear mountings so the brackets will have to be moved ,putting packings between bracket and floor is not an option.

Have you tried the tub on the chassis yet? If the sill brackets are too low then you will have an enormous gap at the front sloping mountings in the engine bay also the same big gap at the rear mountings so the brackets will have to be moved ,putting packings between bracket and floor is not an option.

Hi Norman,

I haven't removed or replaced the inner sills and the new floors were welded in with the tub still bolted to the chassis so I am pretty confident that when it goes back on it will sit in the same place. The tub brackets should be in exactly the same place in relation to the chassis.

I am fairly sure that it is an accumulation of inaccuracies with the LHS floor pressing that are causing the problem. One way or another it will fit!

Rgds Ian