Sensible upgrades for 1966 TR4A

Hello,

I have owned a TR4A for 10 years now. During this period it has been completely apart. I have restored the chassis, rebuilt the engine and kept in good working order. However, I would like to make it a little bit more modern during the next 10 years. What improvements or upgrades would you recommend? The car is totally original now. My goal is to turn it into a reliable, well performing sports car (by today's standards that is).

Kind regards,

Kristof.

Hi Kristof,

whatever you do or suggest you will get conflicting answers so have a look at what can be done and do what you think is best.

Alternator, modern fuse box, improve rear suspension, modify the steering shaft splined clamps etc

Roger

Hi Kristof,

whatever you do or suggest you will get conflicting answers so have a look at what can be done and do what you think is best.

Alternator, modern fuse box, improve rear suspension, modify the steering shaft splined clamps etc

Roger

I guess that would be a really sensible upgrade, I never seemed to get it exactly right! What option do you suggest? I have no experience with aftermarket suppliers (except for Rimmerbros and Moss).

My goal is to turn it into a reliable, well performing sports car (by today's standards that is).

:blink:

Now that's a tall order - today's sports cars are a world apart from anything but the most exotic classics...unless well modified ;)

If modern performance is what you want, it can be done - for a price. To get an idea, talk to Darryl at Racetorations, or better yet go for a drive in one of their modified TRs. But be warned: you may never be able to settle for less! :P

Now that's a tall order - today's sports cars are a world apart from anything but the most exotic classics...unless well modified ;)

When comparing old versus new sports cars, I would compare a TR4 with an MX-5 and a Lamborghini Miura with a Ferrari Enzo. Does that put things in perspective? I just want my car to get along a little bit better in modern traffic ;)

Hi Kristof,

you've added 'driving in traffic'

electric fan to replace the mechanical one.

'ForLife' coolant to help keep the temp down.

Make sure all the controls within reach whilst driving work properly.

If you have a radio make sure you can get good reception (good aerial),

Standard cam.

Carbs and linkage working well.

'Spin on' oil filter.

No fluffy dice :lol::lol:

Roger

One of the frustrations of older vehicles, like the TR4A, is having a dip/main beam switch that is foot operated. I have designed a mod that replaces the dip switch with a relay and uses the flash on the lighting stalk to activate it. This is delayed so that the flasher still works as expected, but switches to main beam when held for more than 0.8 seconds. It switches back to dipped beam when pulled for less than 0.8 seconds. It eliminates those "Oh sh*t... Where's the dip switch" moments.

If this is of interest send me a PM.

I am in the process of refurbishing my TR4A and have made quite a few mods. Too many to list here, but in addition to the dip switch elimination these include, an immobiliser, electric locks, electric windows and so on.

TT

When comparing old versus new sports cars, I would compare a TR4 with an MX-5 and a Lamborghini Miura with a Ferrari Enzo. Does that put things in perspective? I just want my car to get along a little bit better in modern traffic ;)
Brake servo? Roll cage?

I guess the brake servo would be a really nice update! Would it be possible to fit a Triumph part, or would it be best to buy a brand new item from an aftermarket supplier?

Kristof.

Can't advise from experience, hope others can.

I see aftermarket ones in the Moss catlledog and have made a note to consider one if I ever get the 4A together again. My memory of the pedal pressure makes me think I should have one, especially when I consider how old I will be by the time I finish the restoration.

Hi Kristof,

I had the same conundrum for my 4A, which is a daily drive come rain or shine. I went for:

Narrow fan belt conversion and alternator.

Kenlow

123 Ignition (brilliant)

Golf mk2 headlights (I think they are anyway!)

Konis to front and rebuilt rear

Rear fog light (essential for me, but few seem to fit them)

I fitted a phoenix exhaust, only because the existing sounded pretty punny and new carbs (SUs). Left everything else standard for reliability. It's not particularly quick but starts first time and has only had two small electrics problems in the last 10,000 miles.

Good Luck

David.

Edited by David B

Hello David,

I had already been looking into the 123 Ignition conversion, but it seems as if there is no kit available for the TR4. Can you give a little bit more information on your ignition?

Thanks for all the thoughts! There are quite a few that seem very useful ;)

Kristof.

Hello,

I have owned a TR4A for 10 years now. During this period it has been completely apart. I have restored the chassis, rebuilt the engine and kept in good working order. However, I would like to make it a little bit more modern during the next 10 years. What improvements or upgrades would you recommend? The car is totally original now. My goal is to turn it into a reliable, well performing sports car (by today's standards that is).

Kind regards,

Kristof.

Hi, my original post in this thread http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....opinions+sought ,may give you some ideas. I would certainly start with rear damper conversion and better driveshafts then maybe electronic ignition. That has its own debates re reliability but in 30k miles in two different classics I have never had a problem with either Pirhana or Pertronix systems.

After that, just drive it like you stole it. Most drivers of moderns aren't expecting that...

Andy

Edited by 67_gt6
Hi, my original post in this thread http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....opinions+sought ,may give you some ideas. I would certainly start with rear damper conversion and better driveshafts then maybe electronic ignition. That has its own debates re reliability but in 30k miles in two different classics I have never had a problem with either Pirhana or Pertronix systems.

After that, just drive it like you stole it. Most drivers of moderns aren't expecting that...

Andy

I think Andy has an interesting arguement about ignition reliability. Although I've never had a Pertronix problem, with over 150k miles combined in several VW and Porsche applications, they are another potential place to fail. Currently I use a cheap aftermarket US made CDI system reccomended to me about 12-13 years ago in all my points triggered vehicles. Gives a nice hotter spark, better fuel mileage, and if I need to revert it to the standard ignition, would take me about 10 minutes. Points will last forever (nearly) just as a trigger, only bearing block wear as an issue. Could use pretty much any aftermarket CDI or other (Crane, Mallory, MSD) that can still be points triggered without the failure point (pun intended) of the optical or Hall sensor. But like I said, never had one fail so just probably depends on personal taste. For my 4A I've actually bought a NOS vintage Judson "See-Dee" ignition the one without the coil, just a transistor trigger, cause it looks so darn period cool. I figure on using it to trigger a Lucas sport coil. Haven't installed it yet, and am a bit queasy about a new 40 year old bit, but figure once again, can always revert it to points in about 10 minutes if it should fail. No older than the rest of the car anyway.

YMMV

John

Hi Kristof.

I fitted one of the aftermarket servos to my 4A about 6 years ago and wondered why I had not done so sooner. Fitting is straight forward and for the vacuum take off I used the hole in the inlet manifold where the recirculating breather valve normally plumbs in, as I threw that away long ago and vent the rocker cover via a piece of 1/2ins rubber hose over the top of the carbs and then down to just below the chassis rail.

Re electronic ignition, if you acquire a spare distributor top plate you can carry that in the boot all set up with points and a condenser ready to bolt back on if the Magnetronic or whaterver you choose happens to fail. Mine is 8 years old and still going strong.

Best Regards Chris

Hi,

Today I have bought my first upgrade. It's the 123 Ignition distributor and a Bosch coil. I will get high quality ignition leads as well. I would like to know how difficult it is to install it myself :mellow:

When I get everything up and running I will post my experiences and comments. If anyone has some advice on installation, thoughts are very welcome ;)

Kristof.