fan belt replacement tr6

just when i thought i finally came to something easy, i was wrong. i haven't cut the belt thats coming off,i tried to remove it as one piece. keep as a spare. heres the problem; the engine pulley and the frame cross member are very close and will not allow passage of the belt , no matter which way i turn it.the space between the engine pulley and the steering rack is the same distance. not enough room to snake the belt by. once again i need advice.how do i get this damn belt on without taking my car apart? how can something that should be easy,be so difficult ? i know the answer. it's a tr6!!!! thanks in advance for any advice.

just when i thought i finally came to something easy, i was wrong. i haven't cut the belt thats coming off,i tried to remove it as one piece. keep as a spare. heres the problem; the engine pulley and the frame cross member are very close and will not allow passage of the belt , no matter which way i turn it.the space between the engine pulley and the steering rack is the same distance. not enough room to snake the belt by. once again i need advice.how do i get this damn belt on without taking my car apart? how can something that should be easy,be so difficult ? i know the answer. it's a tr6!!!! thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark,

Just done mine recently

Have a look at this post 4

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....c=17322&hl=

Cheers

Guy

Mark

I am going to have a quick look at mine when i get home.

I remember when i bought my car i changed my fan belt as a precaution. It took literally 2 minutes. I don't remember having a problem.

It sound to me as though something in your car is out of position to the original spec.

John

Hello Mark H.

I experienced this after rebuilding the 6. The basic problem is that your engine is too far forward, luckily I needed to do an engine rebuild, which of course was engine out & I was very careful how I put the engine back, the requirement to fit a fan belt is probably little more than 1/4". In the short term, your best solution is probably to take out the cross member, fit the fan belt & re-fit.

Dave Worne

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

Thanks for bringing this up. I believe in carrying a spare fan belt on long runs -but I have always assumed that it would be an easy matter to fit it- as per the simple instructions in the Brown Book and common automotive practice.My last belt was fitted as part of the extra jobs I had done while the engine/gearbox was out for a clutch replacement..

Tonight I tried levering my engine back as recommended.The engine mounts are pretty inflexible and while I could probably fit a belt in the garage with a metre long jemmy bar I wouldn't like to do it at the side of the road with say a tire lever.

I also looked up the belt replacement instructions in Haynes, they go so far as suggesting a second spare belt also be fitted in place behind the cross bar when a belt is replaced and then tied out of the way so it may be easily slipped on should the first belt break.

I am very thankful that modern belts are very reliable bits of gear.

Does anyone believe carrying a spare belt unfitted is warranted except maybe to give to a garage to fit on a run?

Mark,

Thanks for bringing this up. I believe in carrying a spare fan belt on long runs -but I have always assumed that it would be an easy matter to fit it- as per the simple instructions in the Brown Book and common automotive practice.My last belt was fitted as part of the extra jobs I had done while the engine/gearbox was out for a clutch replacement..

Tonight I tried levering my engine back as recommended.The engine mounts are pretty inflexible and while I could probably fit a belt in the garage with a metre long jemmy bar I wouldn't like to do it at the side of the road with say a tire lever.

I also looked up the belt replacement instructions in Haynes, they go so far as suggesting a second spare belt also be fitted in place behind the cross bar when a belt is replaced and then tied out of the way so it may be easily slipped on should the first belt break.

I am very thankful that modern belts are very reliable bits of gear.

Does anyone believe carrying a spare belt unfitted is warranted except maybe to give to a garage to fit on a run?

Mike, when I installed my engine/tranny combo I made an effort to push it as far back as I could before tightening the front and rear mounts. While I expect the mounts will sag over time, as of now, a year later, I can still get the fan belt off if I choose to. I am not using the standard belt but a modern "toblerone" belt which is not quite as deep and when turned on its side further aids in slipping past the crossbar.

I do carry a spare in case I or one of our club members needs it on a trip. I just assume on the day we will figure something out.

Stan

Thanks Stan.I'll look for an alternative, thinner belt.Your right, if you have a spare belt it makes it much easier to get something done on the day. At the very worst it means removing and replacing the six bolts on the cross brace.

Regards,

Mike