Steering Wheel

Hi

Ive just bought an original steering wheel for my TR4A -well it looks original!! (16" dia)

Has anyone ever renovated an old steering wheel.

Would welcome members advice/experiences of how they tackled it - I know there are steering wheel renovating packs available but not sure how succesful they are.

Thanks

Dave

Hi

Ive just bought an original steering wheel for my TR4A -well it looks original!! (16" dia)

Has anyone ever renovated an old steering wheel.

Would welcome members advice/experiences of how they tackled it - I know there are steering wheel renovating packs available but not sure how succesful they are.

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

Try: http://www.steeringwheelrestoration.co.uk/

Richard: They claim to be able to manufacture NEW Bluemel wheels. Have you or anyone you know used this firm. The sources for REPRO Bluemel wheels seem to have dried up. I had a wheel on order for my 3A at the Roadster Factory. After several months on back order, I got an email from them stating that they were no longer available.

Dave,

I hope you did not pay too much for the wheel and it is not distorted as it is an expensive exercise to get a wheel re-furbished.

Try contacting the following, I have seen some of the work they turn out at shows and it all looks good, but not cheap.............!!!!!

Wheelrights

The Warehouse

Baxtergate (off Lords Street)

Morecambe

Lancashire

LA4 5HX

Tel 01524 423453

Regards, Richard ;)

Richard: They claim to be able to manufacture NEW Bluemel wheels. Have you or anyone you know used this firm. The sources for REPRO Bluemel wheels seem to have dried up. I had a wheel on order for my 3A at the Roadster Factory. After several months on back order, I got an email from them stating that they were no longer available.

Frank,

No, I haven't used this firm. My '66 TR4A has an original wood steering wheel purchased new with the car at the TR dealership in San Francisco (it was a dealer installed option) and therefore I do not have an original bakelite wheel. Good luck with the restoration - I think restoring it would be better than a reproduction.

Richard

I had mine rebuilt by Steering Wheel Bob in the US. As good as new if not better, but very very expensive - much more than his initial estimate, but only after he had received the wheel :angry: .

I have done a few steering wheels and after buying a very expensive kit from Eastwood to refinish them I gave up with it and use ordinary body filler for any cracks and then prime and paint with ordinary cellulose black. My 4a wheel has lasted for 15 years done like that and still looks as good as new.

Stuart

I have done a few steering wheels and after buying a very expensive kit from Eastwood to refinish them I gave up with it and use ordinary body filler for any cracks and then prime and paint with ordinary cellulose black. My 4a wheel has lasted for 15 years done like that and still looks as good as new.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the reply. I don't suppose you can recall what primer you used can you and the name of the cellulose?

Many Thanks

Dave.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the reply. I don't suppose you can recall what primer you used can you and the name of the cellulose?

Many Thanks

Dave.

Dave it would have been Ault & Wiborg Cellulose primer and Lechler cellulose at that time although I dont think the Lechler is available now, any good quality cellulose will do the trick.

Stuart.