I came across this a couple of years ago. It seems like a great idea, lots of challenges in the work. No good if your a purist though.

http://mikek.9online.fr/rebuild.htm

Your comments please?

Chalky :unsure:

Edited by chalky
I came across this a couple of years ago. It seems like a great idea, lots of challenges in the work. No good if your a purist though.

http://mikek.9online.fr/rebuild.htm

Your comments please?

Chalky :unsure:

I've seen it on a TR3 race car and of course it can be advantageous, i.e. when replacing the

radiator in a hurry, but I don't think it's a good idea : a TR3 body isn't very stable already : the shaking of this flipping front is annoying on a road car, and, perhaps you won't believe it, it has adverse affects on the handling of a race car, especially when turning in. A wacky car body has about the same effects on the handling as high narrow tyres (to a lesser degree, I admit, but the effect is really there and it does matter)

My 1958 TR3A is like it was originally but I restored it using all stainless nuts and bolts. Last week I removed the front bumper, grille, wires, crank support and the valance in 1 hour and 20 minutes. I wouldn't spend the two years it would take to build such a flip fromt just to save an hour once every 5 years.

My 1958 TR3A is like it was originally but I restored it using all stainless nuts and bolts. Last week I removed the front bumper, grille, wires, crank support and the valance in 1 hour and 20 minutes. I wouldn't spend the two years it would take to build such a flip fromt just to save an hour once every 5 years.

I agree, that's what's called 'planning ahead'! Investing in good quality s/steel bolds and fasteners is a lot easier than planning a total front end transformation. Okay, I think it's a nice gimmick and I can see the 'pros', but there are some 'cons' too: there's a lot of tension on the hinges. I owned a Spitfire during 10 years and the flip front caused severe cracks in the paint due to the stress implied every time you open and close the bonnet (And I'm sure there's no Spitfire around without the cracks in the bonnet tips!). Basically, opening a Spitfire bonnet is a two men job. And be advised: a Spitfire bonnet isn't as heavy as a forward tilting TR front end!

Menno