My wipers only work at one speed but the switch has 2 positions not including the off. There is a red/green wire to the top pin position (on switch) a brown/green wire to bottom pin and a black in the centre. The wiper motor is square shaped not cylindrical. I assumed that in one position the red/green is connected to earth and in the other its the brown /green connected to earth however only one position works.

In my enthusiasm I thought maybe its the switch and opened it up...... out popped a spring a a black plastic tube . Which way to they go back in spring in external switch first or plastic tube ?? Any other thoughts appreciated (me and electrics are not compatible)..

My wipers only work at one speed but the switch has 2 positions not including the off. There is a red/green wire to the top pin position (on switch) a brown/green wire to bottom pin and a black in the centre. The wiper motor is square shaped not cylindrical. I assumed that in one position the red/green is connected to earth and in the other its the brown /green connected to earth however only one position works.

In my enthusiasm I thought maybe its the switch and opened it up...... out popped a spring a a black plastic tube . Which way to they go back in spring in external switch first or plastic tube ?? Any other thoughts appreciated (me and electrics are not compatible)..

Hi Robin,

I haver just sorted my two speed wipers in my six. I imagine the switch is the same, on mine four wires are attached. The motor is a cylinder. Cant comment on a five motor though. Have alook at the photos in the thread below, i put the spring back into the rocker switch, and then the plastic tube over, the apush back in.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=17749

hope this is some help

Guy

Hi Robin,

I can help with the wiring.The wiring I have diagram for a TR 250 shows :

For the motor-Green wire from fuse,Black to earth.

For the switch-To motor Brown/Light Green =Fast,Red/Light Green=Slow

-To earth =Black(shown as centre connections in the diagram)

I've never looked at a TR250 switch closely.I hope your switch is similiar to the one that Guy has shown how to put back together.

Note that the diagram I have shows both the motor and switches earthed.Personally,whenever I have a fault with a piece of 12V Lucas gear that's earthed, I clean and check the earths first.The equipment can look fine but still not work because of a bad earth. If this fails I then I try to check the operation by some non intrusive way such as a multimeter or a test light. For me pulling purpose built electrical components apart is a last resort.A lot of these components were not meant to be disassembled when originally made and damage during disassembly can lead to scrapping the component.In some cases the scrapped component cannot be replaced much effort is subsequently required to fit alternatives- I mean things like filing holes out,modifying wiring looms etc.

Regards,

Hi Robin

[url="http://www.terryhunt.co.uk

worth checking

Regards

Neil

Edited by ntc

Mike

Please read a recent entry under the TR5 thread re wiper motors. The way you have described the wiring is not strictly correct. When the green/red wire is connected to earth at the switch gives the fast speed , the slow speed in the motor is realised by earthing BOTH the green/red AND the green/brown. These are shunt would motors for the slow spped and will not run with the green/ brown wire earthed in isolation, you will simply fry the shunt winding (its only 10 to 15 turns of mag wire) and thats why lots of these motors dont work on slow. Also these motors are NOT the round bodied 3 brush design as used in TR6's.

It might appear that the two wires are earthed independantly but if you look in the switch one position earths one terminal the other earths both.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks Ian.I was working off a TR250 wiring diagram I had in a sheaf of TR6 wiring diagrams.It shows the switch and motor as a block with three separate connections.As the TerryHunt article says, this is obviously misleading when trying to interpolate the diagram to what is happening inside the switch.

Lots of other good reading in the article that is applicable to TR6's.

Regards,

Mike

Please read a recent entry under the TR5 thread re wiper motors. The way you have described the wiring is not strictly correct. When the green/red wire is connected to earth at the switch gives the fast speed , the slow speed in the motor is realised by earthing BOTH the green/red AND the green/brown. These are shunt would motors for the slow spped and will not run with the green/ brown wire earthed in isolation, you will simply fry the shunt winding (its only 10 to 15 turns of mag wire) and thats why lots of these motors dont work on slow. Also these motors are NOT the round bodied 3 brush design as used in TR6's.

It might appear that the two wires are earthed independantly but if you look in the switch one position earths one terminal the other earths both.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Yes Ian is correct there, for info the 'shunt winding' is actually a length of resistance wire for the slow function, with cotton insulation (at least it was on mine) and if rotted, can be replaced with a 10 Ohm Wirewound resistor inside....there is just enough space. The more readily available (later) wiper switches without the required earthing contact can also be made to work as two speed with a bit of jiggery pokery and a relay and diode.

john