Switch retaining Nuts

Chaps,

The switch plate houses the Light switch, ignition, wipers, washers & choke. All these switches are held in place by a chrome finishing nut that has 6 small recesses in it. Is there a tool to remove & refit these finishing nuts or do you just tap them round using a screw driver?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Chaps,

The switch plate houses the Light switch, ignition, wipers, washers & choke. All these switches are held in place by a chrome finishing nut that has 6 small recesses in it. Is there a tool to remove & refit these finishing nuts or do you just tap them round using a screw driver?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Try a pair of thin-nosed pliers with tape wrapped round the tips to avoid any damage. That should do it.

Cheers

Richard

I recall one in the latest Frost catalogue. Not cheap though.

Ivor

I don't think that tool will fit your switch. I used pliers with rag round them to hold the ring and then twisted the switch box from behind. These are NLA new, you have to replace them with the sort of ring that those tools will, in fact, fit, so take care with them!

Rod

Here it is, although I guess it would be easy enough to make one out of a scrap of copper tube.

Thankyou.

Oh, it is cheap.... but doesn't look like it fits the 6-recess nuts.

OK for the TR6 I guess (I hope as I just ordered one. Can't have too many tools, just wish I had somewhere to put them all :blink: ).

Ivor

Try mooching around the Jag stalls at an autojumble, classic Jags use the same switch bezels and I picked up a suitable bezel spanner not so long ago.

I bought the proper tool from johnscudashop on ebay for $14.95, and I recommend it highly. You can remove and replace the six slot Lucas bezels without damaging them, and tighten them properly so that they don't rattle. I'd add the link if I knew how, but it's on ebay right now.

I bought the proper tool from johnscudashop on ebay for $14.95, and I recommend it highly. You can remove and replace the six slot Lucas bezels without damaging them, and tighten them properly so that they don't rattle. I'd add the link if I knew how, but it's on ebay right now.

Try this one Smokey.

Switch tool

He has switch tools for just about anything you care to mention.

Stuart.

Thanks, Stuart, that's the one I have. Works well. For the bezels with two slots on the side, for instance around the ignition and turn signal indicators, I made a tool out of stainless steel sheet - basically a wide screwdriver with a slot in the middle to clear the switch or bulb holder. (I can post a picture if there's interest.) I did this after scratching a new paint job on my white dash by using a regular screwdriver and some effort. The screwdriver slipped, and that's when I made a tool for doing it properly. That six slot tool is the answer for those bezels - makes the jobe quick, safe and easy. No affiliation except I bought one.

I just bought the two-prong type of switch nut tool from that site. Looks better than my home-made device. Thanks for pointing that out, Stuart.

I just bought the two-prong type of switch nut tool from that site. Looks better than my home-made device. Thanks for pointing that out, Stuart.

I am impressed at the range of tools he has and they also look well made which is more than can be said for a lot of the others around.

Stuart