The TR8 Turbo Le Mans

After the disappointment of Bert Smeets not being able to run his car last year, it's been a long time since I've mentioned the topic - quite a number of TR folk have been kind enough to enquire recently about progress and prospects.

The TR8 is now complete, engine tested and running, and it's sitting on new race rubber ready to roll. All that remains to be done before initial track testing is a handful of minor tweaks, and fabricating a new (silenced) exhaust system - few circuits still permit thunderous big bangers to run unsilenced.

The whole exercise has taken much longer, and cost much more, than Bert ever envisaged . . . . but that is primarily the result of his insistence on refurbishing and reutilising original parts wherever possible, rather than wholesale replacement with new and/or modernised components. The latter course of action would, needless to say, have been much quicker and cheaper - and tends to be the 'historic motorsport' norm. Originality comes at a costly price . . . . as in forget concours TR5 money, that doesn't even begin to come close.

All being well, the TR8 will be ready to race by late Spring. When and where is another matter. The last of the Group 5 and Group 6 cars which ran 1980/81/82 are rather out in the wilderness. Classic Le Mans and similar series cut off at 1979, whereas the next category for Group C cars of 1981 onwards doesn't include the last of the Gr 5&6 cars.

There will be a comprehensive update feature in Classics Monthly before long - the CM team have supported Bert's efforts unstintingly, the only real support that he's had from the media. So that's where the next instalment will appear !

Cheers,

Alec

Thanks very much for the update Alec, It seems to have taken such a long time for this beastie to raise its head again!

Please keep us up to date with progress, hopefully we can one day see and hear another of Berts wonderful cars.

Cheers

Ian

The TR8 is now complete, engine tested and running, and it's sitting on new race rubber ready to roll. All that remains to be done before initial track testing is a handful of minor tweaks, and fabricating a new (silenced) exhaust system - few circuits still permit thunderous big bangers to run unsilenced.

Any idea where the track testing will be Alec? Like many others, I was looking forward to the Bruntingthorpe testing planned last year, but sadly cancelled due to Bert's family tragedy. I'd love to see and hear this old beast again.

Hi Alec

Thanks for the update - just hope I am at home from sea to be able to get to see it when it does run!

By the way - I have now forgotten about the 'Diff' remarks - just!!!! ;)

Best regards

Hi John,

Sadly not.

As per last year, the Jigsaw race isn't open to Wedges, not even humble 2 litre cars let alone the TR8. Last year the best we could have hoped for was a limited speed lunchtime demonstration.

We now appreciate from dyno runs that the TR8 simply isn't capable of doing 'demonstration runs' . . . . it was built for endurance racing on long fast circuits, it still runs on the original 2.88 axle, and it needs an awful lot of cooling.

Anything less than full chat, and it will cook the lump - as it did in testing almost 30 years ago. There's only one way to drive it, ten tenths, all or nothing. Which perhaps explains why there's never exactly been an orderly queue of kamikaze pilots itching to get behind the wheel. Learning curve isn't an available option.

I'll keep you all posted as and when there's an opportunity to see the last of the dinosaurs. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Alec

Best laid plans of mice and men . . . .

The hopes for a pukka historic race in late Spring appear thus far to have been thwarted, yet more discussions on the “it didn’t race until 1980 and the cut-off date is 1979” theme.

I won’t bore you, the semantics are tedious. Maybe the combination of the ferociously competitive Bert Smeets and the infamous ADA/Janspeed TR8 seems too intimidating ? ;)

Meanwhile, it appears as if an Easter Bunny might well have come to the rescue - younger guns in modern sports racers keen to mix it with the old warrior. Ironic that it's a younger generation wanting to see the old pretender. :rolleyes:

Although the TR8 isn't exactly competitive with current sports prototypes, if this is all that's available . . . . Bert's hardly likely to turn down a challenge. :D

So at last the pressure is on. The car should finally be ready for testing by the end of next week. Then it’s off to Bruntingthorpe, asap, for the initial high-speed shakedown tests.

There are bound to be snags and problems. Fingers crossed that Coventry Automotive (car) and JE Developments (engine) will be able to sort them in time to race.

The race is on for the Easter weekend of April 11/12 - details of venue as soon as it’s confirmed. This may be the only opportunity for the TR8 to race in the UK this year.

As yet, of course, there are no guarantees – Bert has spent 4 years gradually restoring the TR8, and at last the final stages are being crammed into the next 6 weeks. So fingers and toes crossed, please, everyone in the team will be working flat out from now on.

Chris Turner, arch TR enthusiast, has offered to take responsibility for cosmetic preparation and ensuring that the car appears looking its best. By all means send Chris an email or PM if you’d like to lend him a hand . . . . link to Chris

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showuser=1523

Watch this space, I’ll keep you informed of developments. Testing and race.

Cheers,

Alec

The very best of luck (if that is needed) to all involved in getting the car running (and running well!)

I will be home from sea by that weekend - hope to be able to get along!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Another update.

The new exhaust system is being fitted as I type, then there is a modest list of minor finishing touches and 'snagging' to effect before testing. Unfortunately it won't be possible to test next week, so the TR8 should be running at Bruntingthorpe w/c 30 March. Touch wood, fingers crossed, etc etc . . . .

Bert is intending to race at Silverstone Sat 11 April and Sunday April 12 - Easter Weekend meeting, a double header race. This will be on the International circuit, which isn't long enough to fully extend the TR8 in top on its original Le Mans gearing, but long enough to give it some serious welly.

The TR8 will be running by special invitation in the Open Sportscar Series - obviously way outclassed by a grid 30 years younger, but it's an opportunity to test the old Triumph in race conditions.

See the links below to the OSS series and the Silverstone meeting.

http://www.brscc.co.uk/open.html

http://www.brscc.co.uk/calendar/156.html

Limited last-minute testing the week before isn't the best of preparation, but delays in component supply leave no option. Bert wants to give the old nail its first run in front of a home crowd, as it were. Right now I'd rate the chances of the car running at realistically 50/50 - but Bert has coughed up a substantial entry fee, and it'll take a lot to stop him racing !!

We'll make the final decision by Wednesday April 8 and let you know accordingly.

Cheers, and thanks from Bert for all the good wishes,

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to disappoint you Wayne, but not so much of a roar nowadays - evidently the new silencing system is most efficient and the old pretender is more than muted.

Testing today was on/off/on/off right up to the last minute, hence I didn't bother making the trek to Leicestershire - it's a 350 mile round trip from here, and it's not as though my presence was absolutely necessary. So my comments are secondhand, based on 'phone reports from Hogie and from Bert himself.

The bad news is that the car won't be racing at Silverstone over Easter weekend. Apologies to all who were hoping to see it there. Just can't be done.

The good news is that the damn thing actually works this time round.

'Phone reports were a bit jumbled . . . . Paul Hogan in guru babble mode, hardly surprising after a high-speed run sitting on the passenger floor. His nerves must still have been jangling like fire alarm bells. All too clearly he was impressed ( a rare event for Hogie ;) ), the sheer rate of acceleration was beyond his previous experience. He blamed his chattering teeth on the freezing cold east wind . . . .

As for Bert, the original 'red mist' merchant in hyperactive motormouth drive. He has a love-hate relationship with the TR8 at the best of times, going sideways changing from 3rd to 4th at full bore clearly had unnerved him, albeit only briefly. Let's say he now understands what I've been warning him about for the past 4 years. Bruntingthorpe on 20 year old slicks on a cold day must have been challenging - the old tyres having been left in place for the initial shakedown, and someone hadn't thought about rebalancing the wheels . . . .

'Brutal' was the word most used by our intrepid pilot, along with a colourful stream of expletives not suitable for repetition on this forum. The old nail requires total concentration, he tells me . . . . well, there's a surprise ! :P

This was only a shakedown, easy on the loud pedal was the theory, especially as a dodgy servo had to be disconnected - leaving the Le Mans car reliant on unaided leg power to slow down. None of which stopped Bert from topping 170mph by way of 'running in' procedure. Any doubts as to whether the TR8 really was a 200mph car now firmly removed. The rebuilt engine does what it says on the tin - it may be less powerful than the original configuration, but it should be more reliable.

Predictably, the original shortcomings in handling (using the term loosely) were all too apparent. The braking system needs a little further work, as does the lubrication system. All of which can, and will be sorted - but that can't be achieved for Silverstone, more testing/development is required pronto. Round 2 pencilled-in for the end of next week.

Hopefully I'll have some pics before long for Pilkie's kind attention, and with luck Hogie will have some firsthand experiences to recount.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec

Great to hear that the testing went ok albeit the need for a bit of tweaking.

170mph whilst running in can't be bad although it's a shame it won't be racing at Silverstone.

There are a number of us in the NLG waiting for its first race appearance so keep us posted.

Regards

Lee

Today I went back to Bruntingthorpe, not to test my own LM TR but to bear witness to a car that I haven't seen for nigh on 25 +years and to actually see and hear it move under its own power. Yes, Bert Smeets truly awesome TR8LM Turbo.

On what turned out to be a bitterly cold day compared to the lovely weather we had for the rest of the week, we rolled up to the far end of the test tracks main straight - formerly used by Vulcan Bombers, to see the red white and blue monster. Bert was his usual affable self and although we have spoken and emailed each other several times this was the first time we had actually met face to face. Also there was John Eales and his team of helpers so I really didn't expect to get involved. However, as Alec has already indicated, I was very privileged to be asked to 'ride' in the beast as John had found it almost impossible to make notes of guage readings whilst trying to steer the car in roughly a straight line.

Thus it was I found myself climbing in to a footwell dominated by a huge brake servo, the fire extiguisher sytem and a collection of scaffold poles that serve as a roll cage!

Weged on nothing more comfortable than a pair of overalls, the car started up with its now more muted exhaust bellow, thanks to some very large and effective silencers (This is all rather relative as you could still hear the car even though it was out of sight at the other end of the circuit!)

So it's into 1st gear and its all rather lumpy, lots of crashing and banging but no sense of drama. Into second and things start to get 'interesting' The scenery is moving past the windo and the slick tyres are picking up dirt off the runway and it sounds like they are shot blasting the underside of the car as we move along at a fait old pace. John then drpos it into third and then all hell brakes loose! The horizon looms into view quicker than that scene in star wars when the Millenium Falcon goes into light speed! Feck! Is this thing quick?! In fact its so quick I think I may have left my tonsils behind! Bullshit aside, I have NEVER been in a car that is so quick in all my life - and over the years I have been in some pretty high powered cars. 450 bhp in a car that weighs less than a ton is always going to be bloody quick but this was awesomely impressive and we never even maxed it! I managed to take some photos while we were going round but this gives camera shake a whole new meaning. Hopefully, these will appear on the forum courtesy of Pilkie and Alec.

On returning to the pit to make some more adjustments Bert then went out and did some flying laps which were really impressive. There is still a long way to go of course and the car is VERY twitchy at the moment but needless to say that I am VERY impressed. One word of caution though, we all agreed that 24 minutes in it would be enough to turn your insides to jelly. To have sat and raced in it for 24 HOURS would need a very special breed of man or idiot. Therefore the original plotters of the 1980 LeMans attempt, Ian Harrower and co, have my fullest respect for even contemplating doing it.

Finally, it saddened me to see a TR Drivers club sticker on the car but not one of our own. As a club, we really should get behind this car for it IS history and for me it has just been re written.

Many thanks to Bert, John and all the others for the priviledge.

Hogie.

post-5463-1238715639_thumb.jpg

For old times sake - I thought you would all like to see this one from scrutineering way back in June 1980 to compare profile etc !! :lol:

post-5463-1238715639_thumb.jpg

Guest Wayne S

I'd like to think I have some of the DNA of that great car in mine......

Red, 4 litre with a John Eales "101" fast road camshaft giving exactly half the power is about as close as i'll ever get! :o

Good to see a wedge managed to impress you at last Paul ;) But if you think that was fast you wanna try a ride in last seasons LMGT1 Aston Martin DBR9!!! :lol:

Awesome achievement for Bert Smeets, cant wait to watch it driven in anger in a race. We should all look into how, as a club we can lobby the likes of the ACO to allow this car entry to CLM and similar events so Berts huge investment gets to see the light of day as it should.

*btw - is there any particular reason why the rear wheels are so much smaller than the fronts? Surely is should be the other way round?

Edited by Wayne S

More piccys!!

And some slightly edited! ;) natterings!!

Courtesy of Alec! :P and contributions from Hogie."

A rare picture - Bert Smeets smiling !!

Kamikaze Hogie!!

You have to admire his tenacity.

He was multi-tasking!

One hand operating the engine monitoring laptop and the other the camera - at a 'ton and a half',attempting to lose his left arm and camera to the air stream!

Back in 1980 the LM car proudly wore the windscreen badge of the TR Register on its rear wing. Of course I'm prejudiced, but I still reckon that was the Register's finest hour, failure though the car ultimately was. Nothing can ever take away Ian Harrower, in the rain, steering right handed and holding it in top with his left, 201mph through the Mulsanne speed trap . . . . The Porsche works team christened the TR contingent "the real men".

Nowadays only the TR Drivers Club support Bert. Of course lots of Register members applaud his efforts, but the club doesn't recognise them. What a crying shame. One of several reasons why I didn't renew my Register membership.

Note the ridiculously high ride height of the TR8 - that was the starting point, bearing in mind that Bruntingthorpe is very bumpy. Ride height came down during the testing, but eventually Bert chipped a chunk off the front spoiler at Warp 9. Silverstone will be the only circuit to test it flat out. Those old slicks are too small, the new Avon race tyres are significantly larger diameter, but Bruntingthorpe is so abrasive and bumpy that the old 'wooden' jobs had to suffice for initial testing. Bugger all grip, evidently !! The race slicks are a long way over £1000 a set, and a day's testing at Bruntingthorpe will destroy them.

On those little old tyres, Bert clocked 172mph at 7,200rpm - still accelerating for England before he backed off. On the new Avons the TR8 should top 200mph, but it will need a new engine to reach its original 1980 target. Remember it's still running the old 'donkey' test engine from 1979, not the intended 1980 race engine. That target was 600bhp/230mph. The current engine isn't good for more than 450 horses - it's old and tired. Yes it's newly rebuilt, but tuned for reliability - the block and heads are the originals, 30 years old, and they've been cooked in the past once too often.

lemans5.jpg

lemans6.jpg

lemans3.jpg

lemans4.jpg

Edited by PILKIE
Super pictures, nice to see Bert smiling.

Not sure if he was smiling at the drive (which would be well

justified) or just pleased to get a breath of fresh air rather

than Hogie's brown trousers! (equally justified!)

AlanR

Not sure if he was smiling at the drive (which would be well

justified) or just pleased to get a breath of fresh air rather

than Hogie's brown trousers! (equally justified!)

AlanR

For the benefit of the great unwashed, my trousers remained a fetching shade of blue throughout! Bert was probably smiling as not only does the LMV8 give you a stupidly large grin to wear for the rest of the day but also because having gone 'sideways' at 150+mph and got away with it he knew he was still alive!

Hogie.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Is there any update yet on Bert Smeets racing the Le Mans TR8 as I haven't seen it since it appeared at a TR Register sprint day at Goodwood back in the early 80's.

Regards

Lee