Check this £40k TR4A out.... and a Question

All,

I'm sure the purists will hate it but I love the look and spec of this car: http://www.royal-falcon.de/Fahrzeugangebot...4_A_IRS_.html#5

Anyone else removed their bumpers?

Anyway, my real question is, are those side grille vents specially made? Are they cut into your own existing panels, or is this a remanufactured wing thing?

John :huh:

All,

I'm sure the purists will hate it but I love the look and spec of this car: http://www.royal-falcon.de/Fahrzeugangebot...4_A_IRS_.html#5

Anyone else removed their bumpers?

Anyway, my real question is, are those side grille vents specially made? Are they cut into your own existing panels, or is this a remanufactured wing thing?

The wing vents are works rally style vents and you see them a lot on TR4's that are going for that particular look (lamp bar, no bumpers etc)

revington sells them, RTR7019K for a mere 350 gbp a pair. I assume you have to cut out the right shaped hole in the wing but they do look cool, as is their purpose.

Stan

All,

You're right, mexican TRs are not the ultimate chic.

The famous vents are even dumber as serious airflow studies have shown they screw-up the carbs air intake and do not cool the engine at all. The only good place for heat expulsion is the end of the bonnet, rignt under the windshield. Sad point is that oil mist goes straight onto the glass.

"If it won't run, chrome it" (George Barris)

Cheers,

PS: I'm not a purist, I like stuff that really works (NOT talking about A7 Ulsters).

Edited by Badfrog

"and do not cool the engine at all".

Badfrog

Well, at the risk of starting something, thats a little harsh, they work on my car :lol:

It may be right that they mess up airflow but the SUs seem fine, and the pressure points maybe wrong for a car at speed BUT........................

More to the point they COOL the engine by allowing warm air to LEAVE the engine bay, pushed out by the Kenlow

when stationary in traffic queues. Thats when our old cars overheat, crawling or standing in traffic, not when doing highway speeds (unless its really messed up)

The amount of hot air that exits via the vents has to be felt to be believed:P

Sorry, just my opinion and observation QED They work in the modern age if maybe not as originally intended :lol::lol: !

PS: Quite like the 4a, little rich for my blood though..................

Shame about the bootlid fit :lol: and the plate over where the master cylinders should go ;)

Stuart.

43,000 euro... No way.

Im sure at least 10,000 of that is for his wife, in exchange for letting him keep it in the living room :P

Nice colour though. Is it Aston Martin grey or something like that? Im sure I saw a dove that colour at Malvern.

Richard.

"The amount of hot air that exits via the vents has to be felt to be believed".

Funny you should say that - the engine on my 4A gets so hot, I don't need to use the heater in the cold! I can feel it coming through the bulkhead...

maybe I need to get it checked out!! ;)

Well, have to say that I like it

Lovely colour, and very nice interior.

Can't understand German, so I'm not too sure what has been done to the engine, but again it looks very nice to me.

Being picky, I agree with Stuart about the boot lid, and also the bonnet medallion isn't lined up correctly (or the central upright on the grill is skee-wiff)

But as for £40k :o:o

Well, at the risk of starting something, thats a little harsh, they work on my car :lol:

It may be right that they mess up airflow but the SUs seem fine, and the pressure points maybe wrong for a car at speed BUT........................

More to the point they COOL the engine by allowing warm air to LEAVE the engine bay, pushed out by the Kenlow

when stationary in traffic queues.

Mike,

As always, truth lingers in the middle of things.

The study I'm referring too, and that I can't find right when I need it to give you exact figures, was performed on a basic ventilated TR. The data were such:

1) SU airflow is disturbed

2) heat elimination is weak (no kenlow here)

3) heat elimination by vents at the rear of the bonnet is several-fold more efficient.

Haven't you ever released the bonnet catch to cool the engine on a very hot summer drive ? This may be a rare opportunity in the UK, but a steep mountain road in the south of France in July can turn easily into a furnace.

BTW, I believe that in this precise car, the vents are a little low. Edit: Sorry, I meant too high.

Cheers,

Edited by Badfrog
Haven't you ever released the bonnet catch to cool the engine on a very hot summer drive ? This may be a rare opportunity in the UK, but a steep mountain road in the south of France in July can turn easily into a furnace.

Cheers,

Badfrog

Yes, I have on my race Frogeye (front hinged bonnet), and my mates Sumbeam so yes, it does work................but the 'works' vents are a signature for either rally, works reps or modified TRs, so they will always be around and they are better than no vents (just) :P

There are some TRs running around with just the vents in the outer wing with NO link to the engine bay, just for the look, now that would really upset you :lol::lol:

Badfrog

Yes, I have on my race Frogeye (front hinged bonnet), and my mates Sumbeam so yes, it does work................but the 'works' vents are a signature for either rally, works reps or modified TRs, so they will always be around and they are better than no vents (just) :P

There are some TRs running around with just the vents in the outer wing with NO link to the engine bay, just for the look, now that would really upset you :lol::lol:

Mike,

As a frenchman, doubled with "auvergnat" (that's our Scotland), I don't upset easily, except when considering mint sauce on lamb :o .

Going for looks is a common trend. Isn't Lady Ann equipped with a copy of Le mans TRS's windshield ? Yet, overheating comes easy to our engines and this problem requires more than disguise. I am currently rebuilding the rear suspension but as soon as it's done, I intend to look at that problem.

I have a pair of these grilles and the question is where to put them when you're looking for efficiency rather than replica look. I have some ideas already and will describe the best one on the forum for TRR members' enlightment, although an enlighted member may be a rather disturbing sight :blink:.

Cheers,

The dutch way to feed SU's.

Does it work ?

Cheers

I would have thought the bonnet scoop is a little too far back to achieve a good flow in the right area. Although I see there is also an intake in the grill as well so maybe a combination of the two is the way to go. Although the bonnet scoop would also be problematical in the rain.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
I would have thought the bonnet scoop is a little too far back to achieve a good flow in the right area. Although I see there is also an intake in the grill as well so maybe a combination of the two is the way to go. Although the bonnet scoop would also be problematical in the rain.

Stuart.

Stuart,

I agree with you. Looks good, probably does not work.

Neil,

This looks much more logical too me. Will try it.

Cheers,

PS: I will never ever show you my engine bay....... :ph34r:

Hi Badfrog

The other mod for when it is really hot linked to electric rad fan ,pic before fitting in the tube

Cheers

Neil

Edited by ntc