Exhaust manifold paint

Hi,

Why do I see so many detailed engine bays, let down by a rusty exhaust manifold?

Those concerned, please take this as an observation rather than critisism.

I had the same problem on my TR6, but decided to find a solution. I searched for a high temperature paint at motor shops and the web. I finally found what I was looking for at our local 'Wilco' store.

HOTSPOT HIGH TEMPERATURE STOVE PAINT

Heat resistant to 650 deg C.

£ 9.90 for 100 ml can, more than enough. Not cheap, but works great.

Easy to brush on, with minimum preperation (no primer). Looks good. I have driven about 500 miles since, all is OK.

Thought I should share this with you all, has anyone found other solution?

Cheers

Steve

Hi,

Why do I see so many detailed engine bays, let down by a rusty exhaust manifold?

Those concerned, please take this as an observation rather than critisism.

I had the same problem on my TR6, but decided to find a solution. I searched for a high temperature paint at motor shops and the web. I finally found what I was looking for at our local 'Wilco' store.

HOTSPOT HIGH TEMPERATURE STOVE PAINT

Heat resistant to 650 deg C.

£ 9.90 for 100 ml can, more than enough. Not cheap, but works great.

Easy to brush on, with minimum preperation (no primer). Looks good. I have driven about 500 miles since, all is OK.

Thought I should share this with you all, has anyone found other solution?

Cheers

Steve

This stuff is well regarded over here.

http://www.calyxmanifold.com/

I used it on my manifold last year and it still looks great. The advantage is that the small tub goes a long way and you can touch it up any time (every few years). My experience with paint is that it eventually will peel off. Perhaps ceramic is the most durable and best looking in addition to being the most expensive.

Stan

Hi TRfella,

even the stainless manifolds discolour to a grotty brown albeit without the rust.

There are a number of VHT aerosol paints that would give a long lasting paint finish in a number os shade - silver, red, black etc.

Or one could go for broke and have the manifold ceramic coated in chrome effect - very tasty.

Roger

Hi TRfella,

even the stainless manifolds discolour to a grotty brown albeit without the rust.

There are a number of VHT aerosol paints that would give a long lasting paint finish in a number os shade - silver, red, black etc.

Or one could go for broke and have the manifold ceramic coated in chrome effect - very tasty.

Roger

Hi TRfella,

Roger

Has anyone got a pic of an exhaust manifold ceramic coated in chrome effect as mentioned by Roger?

Richard.

This stuff is well regarded over here.

http://www.calyxmanifold.com/

I used it on my manifold last year and it still looks great. The advantage is that the small tub goes a long way and you can touch it up any time (every few years). My experience with paint is that it eventually will peel off. Perhaps ceramic is the most durable and best looking in addition to being the most expensive.

Stan

Here's how the calyx stuff looks

DSC_0007-2.jpg

Hi Richard,

Charlies is the original cast manifold, the chrome effetct doesn't come through as well as on a tubular manifold but looks clean and should help with the heat.

I'll see if I can do a photo of mine.

Roger

Thanks Roger,

I'll look forward to seeing that. I'm rebuilding a 6 engine for a future (soon) TR6 purchase, I just want to see as many different examples of finishing aesthetic touches as possible.

Richard.

Anyone used the one (exhaust pipe paint) done by the POR15 mob? (Done on a newly garnet blasted surface.)

I've done my manifold and the pipes down to the first join with it, but it will be a couple of years before I get to heat it up.

Edited by littlejim
Anyone used the one (exhaust pipe paint) done by the POR15 mob? (Done on a newly garnet blasted surface.) I've done my manifold and the pipes down to the first join with it, but it will be a couple of years before I get to heat it up.

I used “Hermetite” VHT (are they still around?) black on the block & bright silver on the cast manifold & rocker cover which I sprayed. To get around a similar “curing” problem, I waited for the wife to go see her parents & cooked the lot it in the oven @ 240 degrees for an hour; she never had a clue & the original finish on all still looks good!

I now have Phoenix manifold.

Hi Richard,

see attached pic's of my manifold. There is the odd blemish on the surface but as the pipes are well tucked away it would be difficult see.

However the point of the coating is the heat protection and fire safety, no agricultural wrapping of old sacks.

When I come to fit it I'll do a comparison between S/S pipes unlagged, lagged with sacking!!, coated with ceramic.

Roger

Hi Richard,

see attached pic's of my manifold. There is the odd blemish on the surface but as the pipes are well tucked away it would be difficult see.

However the point of the coating is the heat protection and fire safety, no agricultural wrapping of old sacks.

When I come to fit it I'll do a comparison between S/S pipes unlagged, lagged with sacking!!, coated with ceramic.

Roger

Hi Roger,

The coating on your manifold looks superb, that's what I'll go with!

I'll look forward to you posting the results of your comparison.

Richard.