I have a 1967 TR4A chassis number CTC77140 and am experiencing a lot of muck in the fuel system so decided to remove the fuel and either clean or replace however I have noticed that my tank appears slightly different from the illustrations in both the workshop manual and the Moss/SCParts catalogue. My tank does not have a vent pipe on the top right hand side of the tank also the illustration in the Moss catalogue seems to suggest that the fuel outlet is on the left hand side of the tank with the drain plug on the right and both can be accessed prior to removing the tank which doesn’t appear to be the case with my tank. Also the SC catalogue offers three different options for the fuel pipe to tank connection early, intermediate, and late, would I be correct in thinking that my car would be intermediate.

I don’t have a flat surface to jack the car up at home and see what is happening underneath so when I come to do the job I want to make sure that I can do it in one go. Any comments or advice would be most welcome.

Chris

Chris, I can't answer all your queries but can advise that the vent pipe eminating from the top right hand side was deleted when a vented fuel cap was introduced. I think this was half way through TR4 production but would have to look it up to get the exact date change.

I have a 1962 TR4 and it has the vent pipe but I know the vent pipe was deleted subsequent to that.

The exit pipe for the fuel is indeed on the near side and the drain plug on the off side. On a TR4 these are only accesible from underneath the car with the tank fitted. You cannot get at them from the boot with the rear tank board removed. Although a more long winded job I would suggest removing the tank to clean it out rather than merely leaving it in situ and trying to undo the drain plug. The drain plug may well have seized in position if it hasn't been moved for a long while and any undue force could split the tank around the plug.

My original tank was leaking, and I had it cleaned and repaired when it was out of the car for restoration. However, it started leaking again, so I bought a new tank from Victoria British in the US. It was a universal tank designed for TR4 to TR6, so it required some slight modifications to the set up, but it works fine. My 1962 TR4 has the vent with a tube running to the right side of the car behind the rear wheel. If it helps, I can scan the pictures of the installation.

My 65 4a has the vent pipe out of the right hand side of the tank, the exit on the left and drain on the right underneath. Its possible that you may have an early 5 tank though. Does it have a union on the top left next to the filler that is blanked off?

Stuart.

Chris,

If you are suffering a lot of muck in the filter bowl of your pump, I think you would be well-advised to treat the tank with Slosh Tank Sealant, as I did some 12 years ago. This is a tank out job and, to be honest, easier in warmer weather!

If the muck coming through is very fine and in considerable quantity, it can block the gauze when running at reasonable cruising speed, the engine will stall, you will spend time investigating and you can re-start the engine - it will tick over quite happily as the flow rate is insufficient to lift the muck to block the gauze. However, a few miles down the road, the performance will be repeated!

For a full description of the Sloshing process, read my article in TRaction 144 or Section K3 of the Technicalities CD. If you don't have access to either of these sources, e-mail a request to: ifcornish@btinternet.com and I'll scan the article for you.

Ian Cornish

Chris, I can't answer all your queries but can advise that the vent pipe eminating from the top right hand side was deleted when a vented fuel cap was introduced. I think this was half way through TR4 production but would have to look it up to get the exact date change.

I have a 1962 TR4 and it has the vent pipe but I know the vent pipe was deleted subsequent to that.

The exit pipe for the fuel is indeed on the near side and the drain plug on the off side. On a TR4 these are only accesible from underneath the car with the tank fitted. You cannot get at them from the boot with the rear tank board removed. Although a more long winded job I would suggest removing the tank to clean it out rather than merely leaving it in situ and trying to undo the drain plug. The drain plug may well have seized in position if it hasn't been moved for a long while and any undue force could split the tank around the plug.

Thanks that explains a lot. I do intend to remove the tank but as I can only do this outside I will wait until the weather is better

Chris,

If you are suffering a lot of muck in the filter bowl of your pump, I think you would be well-advised to treat the tank with Slosh Tank Sealant, as I did some 12 years ago. This is a tank out job and, to be honest, easier in warmer weather!

If the muck coming through is very fine and in considerable quantity, it can block the gauze when running at reasonable cruising speed, the engine will stall, you will spend time investigating and you can re-start the engine - it will tick over quite happily as the flow rate is insufficient to lift the muck to block the gauze. However, a few miles down the road, the performance will be repeated!

For a full description of the Sloshing process, read my article in TRaction 144 or Section K3 of the Technicalities CD. If you don't have access to either of these sources, e-mail a request to: ifcornish@btinternet.com and I'll scan the article for you.

Ian Cornish

Ian

Spot on, exactly the problems I have been having and I agree it is a warm weather job if you have to do it outside so I will be waiting a month or two before having a go

Chris

Chris, Refereing to my previous post I have since looked up the vent change over date and it seems the Vent pipe on the fuel tank was deleted in favour of a vented fuel cap from TR4 CT19970 which would be in 1963. In theory therefore all TR4a should have the vent pipe deleted. Any anomalies could be due to a retro fit of an earlier tank or possibly Triumph may have reverted on ocassions if they ran out of vented fuel caps but the later seems pretty unlikley as this would be a number of years after the change over.

Chris, Refereing to my previous post I have since looked up the vent change over date and it seems the Vent pipe on the fuel tank was deleted in favour of a vented fuel cap from TR4 CT19970 which would be in 1963. In theory therefore all TR4a should have the vent pipe deleted. Any anomalies could be due to a retro fit of an earlier tank or possibly Triumph may have reverted on ocassions if they ran out of vented fuel caps but the later seems pretty unlikley as this would be a number of years after the change over.

Trevor

Thanks for all the info I now understand, very helpfull

Chris