Radator shround to wing stays

I did refit mine but I'm not convinced they actually achieve very much if anything so unless you're interested in originality, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

I wonder if the front valence was causing some problems due to the brick like aerodynamics and they added these to stop it resonating or something. Its hard to see what other purpose they might serve. They went to the trouble of welding in the attachment studs on the inner wings and specially shaped tubes that are unique to each side so it doesnt look like a hack.

Stan

I wonder if the front valence was causing some problems due to the brick like aerodynamics and they added these to stop it resonating or something. Its hard to see what other purpose they might serve. They went to the trouble of welding in the attachment studs on the inner wings and specially shaped tubes that are unique to each side so it doesnt look like a hack.

Stan

No idea, possible I suppose; they certainly arn't capable of providing any structural stiffness. It does seem that someone went to a lot of trouble to fit them & make them handed for what doesn’t appear to be any practical purpose; perhaps it was some junior design engineer’s thesis or pet project. :unsure:

Perhaps they are intended to reduce vibration and movement which could eventually fracture the bottom mounting brackets and stress the top hose. They may even help deter the radiator being pushed back onto the fan in the event of a minor front end impact.

Yes, they do look like a rather useless afterthought.... and yet... leaning on the top of the radiator surround panel yesterday, the front end being all stripped at the moment... normally one can't really get at this area because the bonnet is in the way, but now I see that if I lean on the top of the surround, it's quite strong, but if I press it backwards it's pretty flimsy... which the stays are designed to reinforce. Sort of.

In fact, peering more closely I see that the top horizontal web of the surround panel is actually cracked right through in the centre where it has that V notch, probably because the oil cooler is hung on it.

So Stan's thought that the stays are designed to damp resonance could be right, and I guess that I'll put them back.

Or could I rivet a strip of angle along the web to stiffen it, hmmmm.

Would have been better and I'd have thought cheaper to make that web a bit stiffer in the first place - black mark to Karmann on that one..

Ivor

I agree with Brian and it must be to do with vibration and fatigue. Also don't forget that the air cleaner on the PI cars is supported off the top of the front valence on the one side and that will put quite a bit of load into the panel. The TR5 also had these two stays as well so nothing to do with the cardboard as they didn't have the shroud albeit it could serve that puropse.

Derek