Rover SD1 brakes

Guest Wayne S

Yep the 4-pot SD1 calipers bolt straight onto the TR7 strut. You just need to make an adaptor to chnage dual line brakes into single, a t-piece in the pipework or similar. Go for the Vitesse ones as they have a spacer allowing you to use the vented discs which are just that bit more effective.

You will have to be careful about wheel clearances on standard rims however, both my cars have 15" wheels so never needed to worry what the wheel clearances are - maybe someone else will offer an answer... ?

Both Rimmers and S and S do full conversion kits with all you will need using Rover Vitesse 4 -pot calipers.

The princess ones as above are a good upgrade too, but very heavy also some people favour the stronger 2 pot capri 2.8i calipers with a small adaptor plate.

Edited by Wayne S

Does this use the rover discs,or are they specials?

Yep the 4-pot SD1 calipers bolt straight onto the TR7 strut. You just need to make an adaptor to chnage dual line brakes into single, a t-piece in the pipework or similar. Go for the Vitesse ones as they have a spacer allowing you to use the vented discs which are just that bit more effective.

You will have to be careful about wheel clearances on standard rims however, both my cars have 15" wheels so never needed to worry what the wheel clearances are - maybe someone else will offer an answer... ?

Both Rimmers and S and S do full conversion kits with all you will need using Rover Vitesse 4 -pot calipers.

The princess ones as above are a good upgrade too, but very heavy also some people favour the stronger 2 pot capri 2.8i calipers with a small adaptor plate.

Hi Tom,

brakes aren't the 7's strongest point, hardly surprising when the standard front pad , Lockheed LP10, is shared with Mini, Midget and Viva.

The TR8 set up is better, the LP45 pads are considerably larger, and shared with the Stag, 2000/2500 saloons, lesser SD1s and LDV and Transit vans. LP216 pads also fit, cut the wear indicators off. This will fit under the standard TR7 rim.

The Capri option, as it's usually called, uses a similar sized LP154 pad, common to assorted 70s Ford, TR6, P6 Rover and big Morgans.

Moving up to 4-pot calipers, the old Princess units utilise a significantly larger pad than any of the above, LP47, also found on later Morgans and the MGRV8.

Both Capri and Princess calipers are a tight fit under 13" steel rims, may need a touch of relieving, and may well not fit under 13" alloys.

The big 4-pot Rover calipers use LP651 or 472 pads, seriously big kit in comparison, meant to stop the EFI/Vitesse models. 14" steel rims are the minimum I think, and preferably 15" in alloy.

Obviously the various makes of alloy rims differ in dimension, which can be relevant . . .

The bigger calipers can be used with solid or vented discs, the latter require appropriate spacers in the calipers, and the Capri discs require specific hub adaptors. The big SD1 calipers/discs were intended for 5-stud hubs, usually found where a 7V8 has been converted to Rover hubs, as were many Grinnalls.

My son Tom (tr7v8) is more knowledgeable about the detail of the various brake options, we've a whole damn cupboard full of spare systems new and s/h. Needless to say, the heftier calipers and discs work better with larger master cylinders and/or servos. I'll try and get Tom to chip in with some more detail.

Cheers,

Alec