The Great Wheel debate

I have a nice original 6 but I don't much care for the wheels though as far as steel wheels go they're about as good as they get.

I always like to change wheels to make the car more personal. The question is would you do it to such an original car or if you would which way would you go given these choices.

Keep it standard as Triumph intended

Center laced painted wires

These 7" Wolfies

cars011.jpg

I have a nice original 6 but I don't much care for the wheels though as far as steel wheels go they're about as good as they get.

I always like to change wheels to make the car more personal. The question is would you do it to such an original car or if you would which way would you go given these choices.

Keep it standard as Triumph intended

Center laced painted wires

These 7" Wolfies

cars011.jpg

Hi Lee,

I have a set of original Wolfrace wheels but had to change them as the offset wasn't correct for my new brake calipers. I fitted superlites which are very similar to Minilites. Must admit, I do prefer the look. It's all down to personal choice I guess.. :)

cheers

Tony

Hi Lee

When I bought my 6,it had been fully restored to original spec in 1985,and had only done 11k miles since then when I bought it in 05.

I happened on a full set of chrome wire wheels,and adapters locally at a bargain price,so bought and fitted them.

2 wks later I sold them!

Personally, I dont think wires suit the 6,so when I baremetalled and repainted the car due to micro blisters,caused by its 2yr bad storage before I bought it, I restored the original steels and fitted new nuts,trims,badges and chrome trim rings.

I also think that wolfies look too boy racerish,but I cant decide about minilites.

With a car like yours,and with the other cars in your stable,I think you should keep it as original as possible,maybe with some subtle and non obvious period upgrades!!

At the end of the day,its your car and your personal preferences that count!!

Cheers Dave

IMAG0148.jpg

Hi Lee

When I bought my 6,it had been fully restored to original spec in 1985,and had only done 11k miles since then when I bought it in 05.

I happened on a full set of chrome wire wheels,and adapters locally at a bargain price,so bought and fitted them.

2 wks later I sold them!

Personally, I dont think wires suit the 6,so when I baremetalled and repainted the car due to micro blisters,caused by its 2yr bad storage before I bought it, I restored the original steels and fitted new nuts,trims,badges and chrome trim rings.

I also think that wolfies look too boy racerish,but I cant decide about minilites.

With a car like yours,and with the other cars in your stable,I think you should keep it as original as possible,maybe with some subtle and non obvious period upgrades!!

At the end of the day,its your car and your personal preferences that count!!

Cheers Dave

IMAG0148.jpg

[/quote

Hi Everyone

When I accquired my early 70 6, it had chrome wires on, I have since accquired a set of like new original steel wheels and tyres, so am in the position of having both, however if I want to change from one to the other and back again, does anyone know if i can use the shortened studs (for the wire wheel adaptors) with the steels safely or do i have to change the wheel studs to the longer original ones to use the steel wheels ? Cheers ... Steve

Thanks for your thoughts.

I do like the Wolfies particularly with the 215/60s I had fitted, they fill the arches perfectly though there is the small issue with them hitting on the upper wishbone on lock.

When I was a nipper I would always prefer the chrome wire wheel look. As I've grown older I much prefer the painted version as I feel they look less garish.

With the E Type I love the Chrome pressed wheels and now hate the chrome wires with a passion. It's funny how opinions can change so violently after years....probably a fashion thing.

I've a real problem with changing to Wires as it's not such a n easy job to put back to standard and to answer your question Ryan, you would have to change studs for longer ones to enable you to fit the steelies again.

I have the new wires in a box waiting and the Wolfies newly refurbed. :unsure:

Hi there

I took off the original restored steels in preference for pukka minilites.

I do think the wolfies look superb though, very period indeed.

Steve, you will need longer studs than the wire adapters use.

Steve

Hi Steve.

I trimmed my original studs down by just enough to fit the wire wheel adaptors and wheels.

I refitted the steels without replacing the studs without any ill effects and I have done about 3k miles!!

I worked out how many threads/turns they were going into the nuts,,3/4 of the way in!!

They are longer than if I had fitted the proper short wire wheel studs!!, which would only just make it to 1/2 way!

Some members will no doubt say that I need to replace the studs for proper long ones,and I no doubt will eventually,but I have taken advice on this from an expert,and as long as I do the normal wheel nut,tyre etc checks before doing a long journey,I should have no problems.

I dont hammer it about or throw it round bends,so the stresses are minimal!!

If you run the wires most of the time,and only use the steels occasionally,then I would use the short studs,as long as you can get ample thread into the nuts!!

You however have to do what you think is right and safe!!

Cheers Dave.

Hi Everyone

When I accquired my early 70 6, it had chrome wires on, I have since accquired a set of like new original steel wheels and tyres, so am in the position of having both, however if I want to change from one to the other and back again, does anyone know if i can use the shortened studs (for the wire wheel adaptors) with the steels safely or do i have to change the wheel studs to the longer original ones to use the steel wheels ? Cheers ... Steve

hi steave,

i personally love the wire wheel look, its how i remember the car in my mind when i was a small boy

the wire wheels could be baught as an extra when the car was new i believe

i still have the original steel wheels, i baught 4 packing plates these fit on the hub under the wire wheels,

this allows me to change the wheels back to steels, (very quickly) and you do not need to crop the wheel bolts so i feel i have the best of both worlds

regards pinky

ps people grizzle about cleaning them i use custom wheel cleaner with a long brush they come up lovely

There's some good looking cars on here. I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the wheel choices/suggestions on here.

Love the green car with the Chrome wires....think they work particularly well on dark colours.

The superlites look better than the more common minilites used. They seem to have better definition on the spokes. Do they do them in 7"?

Chrome wires are looking better to me with the passage of time :rolleyes: though I do wonder how one reconciles modern tyres with the inner tube requirement :unsure: Darker colours do fare better with these, and for my taste the bodywork must be of superb quality to qualify <_<

I have used Panasports for the last 18 years, and like their similar counterparts pose an issue regarding the centers. I've got 2-eared spinners on mine but as they came to me via ebay I don't know where to get more :(

Pic for reference:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/im...15L9-6-8001.jpg

Chrome wires are looking better to me with the passage of time :rolleyes: though I do wonder how one reconciles modern tyres with the inner tube requirement :unsure: Darker colours do fare better with these, and for my taste the bodywork must be of superb quality to qualify <_<

I have used Panasports for the last 18 years, and like their similar counterparts pose an issue regarding the centers. I've got 2-eared spinners on mine but as they came to me via ebay I don't know where to get more :(

Pic for reference:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/im...15L9-6-8001.jpg

I think wires look fine on the TR6, it was an option from the factory and if you can deal with the cleaning, spoke tightening, tire issues etc go for it. Personally I like the mini-lite clones. I also have Panasports which are great looking wheels and well constructed. I have the Panasport plastic centers which just clip into the wheel. I wonder Tom how do those spinners attach to the wheels, do they just snap into the centers ?

Stan

I wonder Tom how do those spinners attach to the wheels, do they just snap into the centers ?

They require adaptors - the spinner comes with a threaded sleeve but it doesn't fit the wheel center, so other adapter(s) are needed to key into the wheel center and thence into the provided sleeve. These are all held by setscrews hidden inside; sets of (3) equally spaced. I just drew them up and had them made at a local machine shop in alumin(i)um ;)

It would be a decent little enterprise to offer these conversion kits on ebay if the source for the spinners were known - I got mine from a gent in the UK on ebay, but they had a little " Made in Taiwan " sticker on them :P

There's some good looking cars on here. I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the wheel choices/suggestions on here.

Love the green car with the Chrome wires....think they work particularly well on dark colours.

The superlites look better than the more common minilites used. They seem to have better definition on the spokes. Do they do them in 7"?

Hi Lee,

The Superlites are indeed available in 7''.

Cheers

Tony

post-6273-1230681098_thumb.jpg

post-6273-1230681098_thumb.jpg

Are they the 7"s you have there? They look like they have a fair rim on them.

Any pics with them fitted to a fully built car?..................Not that your car doesn't look superb, but...... :rolleyes:

Lee,

Personally I think that your TR looks great with the Wolfrace and if I was you I would stick with them. They are period correct for the TR and yours are already refurbed so why look any further? If you do want to change as noted by the other guys there is a vast choice out there. I have been gathering information for a future article in TRaction and so far have got details of nearly thirty manufacturers who either still make wheels or who used to. My own favourite is Cosmics however that is probably because I have enough for two sets, I also like the ARE in both 4 spoke and 8 spoke probably also because I have a set of the 4 spoke.

Happy New Year and lets have some more alternatives posted to help Lee make a decision

Derek

Fully agree with Derek, the Wolfrace wheels look great on a 6. I fitted mine in 75, but as I never liked BLING, I painted them. In the mean time they could have a respray..... ;)

Be carefull, tyre centres with their pneumatic lifters might become your alloy wheel killers :angry: They managed to damage one of my wheels

Thanks Derek. Look forward to seeing the article.

Personal favourite is the 7" Wolfrace Turbovec. Just missed out on a set. :( Another period wheel.

The pic shown is my old TR now somewhere in it's original colour, White. Derek do you know if it's back in the club?

Cosmics look great....a true late 60's early 70's wheel if ever there was one.

I like 7" as they fill the arches nicely and adds to the TR6's aggressive stance.

cars010.jpg

Lee,

Your old TR6 is not back in the club as yet, will let you know when it does appear. With regards the article it is a bit of a long term project and I have a lot of images to get hold of yet. I don't want to hijack your thread but if there is anyone out there with good images of their alloys, one of the wheel and one of their TR then please email to me at saffrontr@tiscali.co.uk. Please also post on here to let us all see them.

An image of a 4 spoke ARE is attached

Cheers

Derek

post-1290-1230743687_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1230743687_thumb.jpg

I just gotta put my 2 cents in here and say that the stock TR6 wheels are hideous. Wire wheels look nice (but I think less spokes look better) and panasports are the best looking and what should have been stock in my opinion.

I may be a little bias on the panasports cause I just bought a set of 17x8.5 that I am going to put on as soon as I get the extra cash to put the rubber around them.

I apologize to anyone I offend, but the stock wheels remind of of the kind of rim that someone would put hubcaps over, or the kind of rim that is put on a spare tire. Definitely an afterthought when designing the TR6.

I just gotta put my 2 cents in here and say that the stock TR6 wheels are hideous. Wire wheels look nice (but I think less spokes look better) and panasports are the best looking and what should have been stock in my opinion.

I may be a little bias on the panasports cause I just bought a set of 17x8.5 that I am going to put on as soon as I get the extra cash to put the rubber around them.

I apologize to anyone I offend, but the stock wheels remind of of the kind of rim that someone would put hubcaps over, or the kind of rim that is put on a spare tire. Definitely an afterthought when designing the TR6.

Will

I tend to agree with you, but they do look better with the chrome trim around. <_<

OOOPS .. :blink:

Think we should go and hide now!! :mellow::lol:

Cheers

Guy

I happen to think that the tin wheels don't look too bad especially when you consider they're std fit.

My first 6 had them with 215/60 rubber buldging off them. Looked great.

It may have looked great but it will have handled like a snake 7j also useless unless used on the track

Edited by ntc