Leyland badge

As the title.

The little leyland badge that goes on the lower front wing.

Is anything re the positioning documented anywhere? Took the car to the paintshop over 2 yrs ago and didn't expect them to have to be removed.

Many thanks

As the title.

The little leyland badge that goes on the lower front wing.

Is anything re the positioning documented anywhere? Took the car to the paintshop over 2 yrs ago and didn't expect them to have to be removed.

Many thanks

Lee

when i did mine I looked at pictures in the Moss catalogue and scaled them up to the TR and stuck them on...

When I bought mine in 05 there were 2 new BL badges in the box of odds and sods.

I finally finished its repaint and refurb early this year,I decided not to fit them as I felt they didnt really suit the marque! :)

I gave them away to a local Austin 1100 owner. :P

I too had scanned a pic and scaled it up to get the approximate position to fit them.

Pilkie,

Had the same thing with a new bonnet for GT6. Two badges were supplied with it didn't feel that BL had done anything for Triumph so just left them with the body shop.

Mick

I held that attitude also for the 1st 20 years, that plus the cheap repro junk badges that were available at the time ( a sticker on a poorly made base). Eventually I decided the expanse of red could use something to break it up and TRF started making proper enameled badges and I gave in. I used a sample of early original pictures to determine a good approx location. I have read that the factory fitting was not a precision process and the adhesive used often insufficient to survive the trip from the factory. Another testament to BL's contribution to TRIUMPH.

Stan

Indeed so Stan,

On PDI in the 1970s the BL badges had often fallen off Triumphs en route, and badge positioning was variable - depending presumably on the state of the operative's hangover, or whether he was actually looking at the car when he stuck them on, or whatever ! Red Robbo and his clique ruled OK, nobody else gave much of a b*gg*r . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

there have been a number of documentaries about BL and 'Red Robbo' came over as something of a stooge/fall guy.

yes, he was militant, and then some, but he was combating a mangement that, for the main, had a vacuum between its ears and those that could put words togther used

Robbo to divert their incompetance onto the workforce.

The whoe shower from Edwards down should have been boiled in oil for what they did(n't) do.

Roger

Hi Roger,

It wasn't an easy situation ! In the 70s I had a modest amount of contact with BL, one way or another - at the time, in the day job, I was a junior manager for a rather more successful multinational. Translated into today's money, I was responsible for £5+ million in sales. My ancillary evening/weekend job was management in professional motorsport.

I met some bloody good managers at BL - articulate, numerate, competent, dedicated and loyal. Unfortunately they were in a minority. The majority of so-called 'managers' I came across at BL were, to put it bluntly, complete arseholes. My then employers would have tossed their CVs straight into the waste bin. They were a waste of space.

Despite a grammar, public school, and university education, or maybe because of it, my political sympathies have always tended towards the union rather than the management perspective. Sadly, in my experience the trade union situation at BL in the '70s was a disaster, shanghaied by political activists of the 'rebel without a clue' variety. Self-seeking prima donnas with pseudo-political aspirations, lacking any kind of coherent agenda, and who couldn't have cared less about the ordinary working man with average responsibilities and a family to support.

Yes, I agree, the BL management had a huge amount to answer for. But so did the workforce, who allowed the idiots to run the union show.

Michael Edwardes wasn't a fool, with government support he might just have turned at least a chunk of BL around - but faced with profound management lack of competence, a massively uncooperative union situation, and a government of vacillating commitment . . . the poor sod never had an earthly.

All things must pass, and BL did. RIP.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Roger,

" I wonder if there is any link between then and now in the financial community."

You may very well think so, I couldn't possibly comment . . . .

other than observing the old truisms that sh*t always floats to the top, and politicians were ever a corrupt shower of b*st*rds. Oh yes, and that we can always rely on the media to make any situation finish up worse than it was going to finish up otherwise, journalists being in the business of self-fulfilling doom'n'gloom prophecy.

Thought for the New Year. 40 Years On. They got the guns, we got the numbers . . . .

Rock on, Tommy ;)

Cheers,

Alec

There are measurments for those badges, I will see if I can find them. They are online somewhere, as I fouind them 3 yrs. ago when I put mine on. Regards

Thanks Guys.

Measurement would be helpful if you can find them.

I must admit I thought they might have been randomly stuck on.

The reason I want them is that the car is absolutely bog std and original and for once in my life I want to keep it this way.

I'll report on another thread re the car itself.

Thanks Guys.

Measurement would be helpful if you can find them.

I must admit I thought they might have been randomly stuck on.

The reason I want them is that the car is absolutely bog std and original and for once in my life I want to keep it this way.

I'll report on another thread re the car itself.

Lee.

My car was absolutely bog standard before I started the restoration and as I'm the first restorer ...it is an American car and I'm in touch with the 2 previous owners who verified it was still untouched...I can tell you exactly where the badges were fitted as I made measurements before removing them.

If you measure up from the point where the swage line at the bottom of the wing starts to move outwards 4 5/8" (Four & five eighths, this is the position of the bottom of the badge) then forwards from the rear of the wing by 2" that should be the position of the back edge of the badge.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards Derek

I bought my 1971 UK, CP car when it was around 3 years old, it was original & totally unmolested. Measurements taken from car before resto were;

• 52 mm from the rear edge of the wing

• 125mm from the top of the sill swage line

The 125mm is slightly different to Derek’s, maybe due to his being an American car or maybe it just wasn't that important!

Just been looking at my BL badges and noticed they are plastic. I always thought they were metal/chrome? Or is that just the repro ones....or vise versa

They should be metal. There have been several repro variants over the years so materials, construction and color all vary. I prefer the one piece all metal enameled versions.

They should be metal. There have been several repro variants over the years so materials, construction and color all vary. I prefer the one piece all metal enameled versions.

The undoubted originals on my car were plastic but I’ve also seen metal die cast on original UK 6’s, the wing badge was not unique to the TR so I suspect there were many supply sources for BL. Both plastic & painted die cast (I don’t think they were enamelled) were available when I bought replacements many years ago but I couldn't find any with the blue background as dark as my originals. I suspect the die cast ones are long gone unless you can locate some originals at an auto jumble.

The undoubted originals on my car were plastic but I've also seen metal die cast on original UK 6's, the wing badge was not unique to the TR so I suspect there were many supply sources for BL. Both plastic & painted die cast (I don't think they were enamelled) were available when I bought replacements many years ago but I couldn't find any with the blue background as dark as my originals. I suspect the die cast ones are long gone unless you can locate some originals at an auto jumble.

I stand corrected and TRF concurs that there were indeed plastic variants. I have tried a few different products over the years but the current TRF badges are excellent quality.

http://www.zeni.net/trf/TR6-250GC/206.php?...0&s_ht=1024

Stan

• 9 years later...

Hi

I have a really nice TR250 1967 and am nearing the end of its renovation. The rear wing side badges are very faded and I am struggling to find new or good condition original ones. I have tried here and in the states and no luck. I am not sure that they are enamel and chrome or some kind of cream paint infill.

I was hoping to find who made the originals or get help on the exact make up and how to find two replacements.

Any thoughts?

David

Rear wing side badges are 621866 - They were a foil badge in a cast chrome housing.

TRF USA

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6-TR250GB/330.php

or Moss UK

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/badge-rear-wing-tr250-621866.html

Moved content to TR250/TR5 section

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Just been looking at my BL badges and noticed they are plastic. I always thought they were metal/chrome? Or is that just the repro ones....or vise versa

There were two types: plastic and myzac, Graham will tell us when the two types were fitted! Mine are still stuck on after 45 years! I have the metal type and my car was made in Jan 1973.

Bruce.