Valve / tappet adjustment

After the engine was run warm I removed the rocker cover and took the thinnest blade on my feeler under each rocker arm when the engine was

running, starting from the front ,its a bit scary , but I discovered the ticking rocker arm this way.

Adjusting “running” with the appropriate size feeler gauges is a very quick method & I used to do it all the time with old motorcycle engines; these had a covered rocker with access through a screw cap. You start with a cold engine & will have finished the lot by the time it warms up enough to close up the clearances to any appreciable extent. The problem with it is acquiring a “knack” of adjusting the tappet on a moving rocker arm & it also tends to chew the ends of the feller gauges up especially if the rockers are worn. I have done it on car engines but you tend to end up with oil everywhere! :rolleyes:

• 5 years later...

I read this thread just after ordering a new (Gunson) click adjuster - the common wisdom is that a click adjuster is not worth it...

Well, I have to agree with Ivor and say that it is easier to use than juggling a screwdriver, spanner and feeler gauge - for a start, you only have one thing to hold, and secondly the handle of the built-in screwdriver is big and easier to hold steady whilst you tighten up the nut.

But don't scrap the feeler gauge - it took a bit of getting used to, so I found it necessary to check my first attempts with the gauge.

And the results? Total lack of tapping noise (where previously it was a riot...) And just to make sure I had not closed too far, I checked the gaps with a feeler gauge. I had tried many times with screwdriver + spanner + gauge and failed.

For reference, as mentioned on the similar thread in the TR3 forum, it's 5 clicks for .010".

If there is any wear on the rocker tip, the feeler gauge will "bridge" the worn area over the valve stem and give an inaccurate reading. I would think (always dangerous) that cutting the feeler gauge width to slightly less than the dia. of the valve stem would provide a more accurate measurement..

Berry

• 5 years later...

What's the best option to use, the WSM says adjust 1 and 3 with 10 and 12 open, and so on,  I rechecked with the pistons at their TDC and find there is a difference, so which is the best to use, a CP engine on PI?

John 

Easy to check 1 and 6 at TDC, the others not so.     The Rule of 13 that the WSM refers to is a way of telling that, without resorting to screwdrivers down the plug hole   And as the base circle of the cam occupies more than half the circumference, I don't think that a minor error in the precise TDC will make any difference.   The cam will be a LONG way from lifting the push rod, anywhere near that point.

Do it the WSM way, Rule of Thirteen.

John 

Edited by john.r.davies

go by firing order. So you need least turns on Crank and adjusting Inlet/outlet of each cylinder at once. 

adjust 1 --> with 6 in overlap

adjust 5 --> with 2 in overlap

adjust 3 --> with 4 in overlap

adjust 6 --> with 1 in overlap

adjust 2 --> with 5 in overlap

adjust 4 --> with 3 in overlap

Jochem

Edited by JochemsTR

I've got an electric fan, and there's barely any clearance down the front for the big monkey wrench which is all I have capable of gripping the nut on the crank pulley. I recommendations for an easy method of turning the crank engine off? 

I took a spare socket, drilled and tapped the side to take length of threaded rod, with a length of threaded tube on the end to save my hand.    Think I've posted a pic in the modified tools thread.

John

2 hours ago, barkerwilliams said:

Adrian,

Top gear hand brake off and move (nudge) the car. No good on slopes or with automatics though.

Alan

Variation on this theme:

Top gear, jack one rear wheel off the ground, then turn that wheel by hand.