TR2 - It's all coming together now

Argh!

That's all I have to say tonight.  Tomorrow... I'll be out there, spanner, drill and screw drivers in hand.. I WILL I WILL I WILL

zzzz.............

• 2 weeks later...

Clive, 8 days without any news, whats happened ?

have you got spanner rash ? is the sax draining all your energy ? is the new car that good ? 2744 views so far

cannot be wrong, the TR forum world waits to hear !

:D

Clive, 8 days without any news, whats happened ?

have you got spanner rash ? is the sax draining all your energy ? is the new car that good ? 2744 views so far

cannot be wrong, the TR forum world waits to hear !

:D

Well, to be honest, it's rained so much and I felt it was better not to let the damp into the garage.  I'm also in the middle of doing a lot of Karting (both participating and watching my stepdaughter, and sorting out medicals and stuff for my ARDS test.  Wendy and I are doing a Racing Experience in Genetta's soon.  By then my medical should have been sorted, and if it's OK I'll be booking the ARDS test.  Not exactly sure what I'll do with a "Novice" licence after that.. probibly just let it lapse, but at least I can say "I did that, once..."

A rest was needed, was not going to be had, and was kind of forced by the rain.  This weekend will see the major garage sort out started, and hopefully finished, which leads to more room, and the air drill being able to be retrieved from the back of beyond!  I've removed a lot of genuine 1954 TR2 parts that are still working and they have been replaced by TR3 and Tr6 parts etc...  I do not want to get rid of them, so I'm going to store them in another location to give me more room for now.

And yes.... the new car is THAT good.  Anyone who knocks the new shape Toyota MR2 needs to be committed!  I was never a big fan... but now I've driven one... I gotta wonder why all TR drivers don't have one as an every day car!  It's no where near as good as the TR2, but it's got to be one of the best convertables available today!

Smart sent me a customer satisfaction survey yesterday, I returned it today... what u reckon I said, lol!

:blues:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Clive

Has it all come to a standstill?? Please keep us updated, or are you spending all your time driving around in the 'other car'.

Regards

Graeme

Everyone,

A standstill has been reached, and the carcoon is inflated.

It's was not lack of intrest, but lack of space.  The garage was overflowing with spare TR7 parts, TR2 parts that I wanted to keep, front aprons etc, and many other bits and bobs as well as the buggy and bits of the mini donor for that... anyway, it's all a lot better now.

All the spurious bits have been "relocated" to another garage somewhere else in England, and there is more room again.

In the mean time I've had my first real taste of motorsport (if you exclude the karting) at Croft Circuit driving a Ginetta, as did Wendy, and a week on Thursday I'm sitting my ARDS (Association of Racing Driver Schools) test.  So, this week is swatting and a bit of Karting just to keep my hand in!

With the warmer dryer ( ? ), and lighter nights coming along the rebuild will be continuing.

• 4 weeks later...

Car is going for its spray paint and body mounting this weekend.  Meanwhile I'll be getting bits ready for shot blasting and painting.  There are so many of them I've calculated it's cheaper and much quicker to sent these to a local company than do them myself.

I know many have missed my reports by the e-mails I've got, however, there has been only minor progress recently.  Once the car is painted things should take off again.

My car's going to be bright and shiney soon!

Wendy's charging me a fiver every time I say that!

Anyway, body & chassis are due back here by the end of next month, connected and ready to fit out.  They may even be back sooner... better get all those other parts shot blasted then!

I've chosen, at the moment, Jaguar Racing Green.  There is still time to change my miond, but I think it looks slightly better than the original green (well, not quite original) that was on my car to start with.

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing...

The TR2 is still at the spray shop.  I'm expecting a phone call any day.  As they have the chassis and the body there is not a lot I can do about anything.  I've still not got the rest of the parts prepared, however, I do have a good excuse as the Buggy I started to build before I took the TR2 to pieces is now on it's own front wheels, has seats fitted, and is on it's way to having an engine and rear wheels fitted.

Why?

Well, if it's on it's wheels and can be easily moved I'll have a lot more room in ther garage to put the rest of the TR2 back together without (hopefully) damaging any paint work!

watch this space...

Clive - I was hoping to meet you last Sunday at Gaydon.  I just got back home after spending 2 weeks in London, except for a ride in a TR4A IRS with Keith Bennett from the North London group who drove me up and back.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

http://www.zen21606.zen.co.uk/Forum%20Gallery/don3a2_big.jpg

Don.. was at the Kent Weekender in the MR2!

On another note, as i've changed my web site hosting the images have all dropped off here... I'm not sure why as my address is still the same as far as the rest of the world is concerned but it seems that links using the "domain name" don't manage to connect to the actual host.

not sure why, I'll be asking the new host about it!  Meanwhile, the TR2 is Green again, but I've not seen it yet!

I've edited all the posts so that the picture references now point at my new web space, meaning that you can all see them again!
It really is  looking great, looking at your efforts makes mine seem feeble but it gives me incentive to get ours on the road by the end of the year.  A quick  question  WITHOUT opening the continuing saga on this subject, did you go R&P or keep the original box? Your original listings seem to have gone from the forum and I can't remember (age again!). I was happy with the original arrangements on my old 3A but that was years ago and I am in two minds.......
...A quick  question  WITHOUT opening the continuing saga on this subject, did you go R&P or keep the original box? ...

I kept the original box but had it totally refurbished by Revington's.  They put a new worm and follower in, replaced the steering column and provided a new stator tube.  They also fitted an uprated cover plate which is spring loaded to help compensate for ware on the worm and follower (peg).

The other uprates to the steering were also made by Revington, namely an uprated idler arm and solid (brass I think) bushes in both ends of the drag arm with grease nipples instead of the rubber bushes.

These upgrades should make the steering lighter and more precise, however, they will not make it as good as R&P.

So, why didn't I go for R&P?

Well, I like my indicators where they ought to be, and R&P does not allow that, therefore detracting from the enjoyment of the period style of the vehicle.  (In my opinion anyway)

Thanks Clive - your thoughts are the same as mine. I too would hate to lose the indicators etc. from where they should be, the odds are in favour of going down your line and have everything refurbished and keeping things 'almost' original.  Regards,  Nigel
Not only is the restoration progressing but my research into previous owners took a step forward today when I was given the address and telephone number of the car's second owner.
  • 15 years later...
On 12/19/2003 at 8:51 PM, clive said:

OK... tonight I realised that despite the abundance of tools in my possesion, I am still lacking a major thing.. a worktop with a vice!  I went to fit a new thrust bearing, thinking it was a complete item, and (yes, I know I'm mechanically nieve) realised that something needed pressing out and then in to the new bearing... so.... result is that the engine and gear box are not fitted and I need to crawl around to a mates house again... Dear Father Christmas....

I must appologise for the lack of photo's in my recent posts... I'm having a problem with BM.... erm, no... with my laptop, which is the only pc in the house with the facility to upload.  Tonight I took some pictures of my "jigsaw" prepared engine, but I can't place them here....

I'm still very impressed with jigsaw's work and the "good crack" (is that a northern expression? ) that you get when you phone them.  The chassis will be a rollin just after xmas... that's a promise!!!

Craic, Irish, actually.