TR2 - It's all coming together now

Well... today I finished connecting the engine and gear box.  I also connected the prop shaft between the gear box and the rear axle.  Things are moving forward... or at least they will be one day (honest).

And to celebrate.. here is a photo taken today:

engine.jpg

:blues:

Don't trust Innitial City Link with your packages!

Why?

Well, they attempted delivery last Friday of a package from Jigsaw containing my inlet manifold (modified) and my distributer (refurbished).  I wasn't in!

I rang on Monday to re-direct it to work, they couldn't do it without Jigsaw's consent.  I rang jigsaw, they rang City Link etc...

They tried to deliver it again on Monday, to home!  Failed.

On tuesday they tried to deliver it home again (despite redirect) and instead left it with a neighbour.  Yea?  I know, almost standard practice, but not after a re-direct I would have thought, and especially as they wouldn't redirect it for me to a place where I could prove identity... waht else you ask?  Well, they didn't leave any card to say it was with the neigbour, and the neighbour didn't tell me... etc... etc...

So, tonight I finished off tightening the nuts holding the engine in.. don't ask, but, oh! ok then!  I was short of a few nuts!  At least I have most of my Marbles!  I've also put the radiator on (and wrapped it in bubble wrap again).

The major problem with the radiator tonight has been the realisation that the captive nuts wern't supposed to be welded to the radiator, but to the chassis... it wasn't me, it was part of the history of the car... maybe even one of those experiments at Triumph.  With the rally sump shield in place this means you don't get a lot of movement on your spanner as you try and tighten them up from below!

Not to worry, they are in place now, and the top hose is on to stabalise it all.

One day I'll finish putting the front suspension on!

More progress tonight... the bar accross the fronto of the engine is on, the fan bvelt is sourced and hanging loosley... mostly because I refuse to fit my dynamo which my brain said was "almost new" and my eyes now say is "rusty".  A little work required there I think!

I've fitted the clutch slave cylinder, and the minute I got in the house I realised I'd put it the wrong way up!  So that's to re-do in the morning before I forget... well, at least all the parts are cleaned and to hand!  DUH!

Found something I'd forgotten about!

Fuel pump... just sat there, covered in oil, grime etc... and with a diaphram that looks worn around the edges.

Ordered a re-build kit... fuel pum now soaking in cleaner...

Anything I should know bwfore taking the screws off... like leaping springs etc...

??

If the garage is still standing tomorrow morning, that's where I'll be, bolting a few more parts on!

If the garage is not still standing, I'll be upset... BIG STYLE!

In the afternoon I'll be watching Emma do her forst Kart Race in the Junior GP at Castle Coombe!

Oh!  And the newly arrived Smart Roadster Coupe is fun!  :P

• 2 weeks later...

Retract that bit about the smart... it's the worst car i ever bought!  It's actually going back... for a full refund!  Pitty, the drive is great, much of the disatisfaction is with the customer service.

The TR2 did progress a bit last week.  Maddog (Andy) came around to help with the front suspension... well, everything went well untill we realised that I'd not got (altho' I'm sure I ordered them from somewhere) the grease seals that go between the trunion and the upright.

Then we discovered that one trunion was fine, and the other, you guessed it, was not fine in the slightest!

So, now I'm awaiting a parcel from Moss again, but everything is just ready to go on.  I'm hoping the parcel arrives tomorrow, which means I'll get it from the post office on Wednesday... and have half a chance of bolting it on on the same day or by Thursday!

I've noticed a lack of response and encouragement on this posting.  Are you all getting bored with it?  It seems to get plenty of views, but some replies about "how I did it" or, "keep your chin up" might be nice...

Hi Clive , no we are not getting bored . Well done with your efforts it seems to be comming on great guns. I am seriously jealous as you are way in front of me now - but then it seems you have a supply of helpers . Unfortunatly up here there is only me to do it - welding , fabricating , mechanics , cleaning , painting etc - you know the thing . Keep up the good work - what replaces the Smart?

Hi Clive

I also check every day for updates on your progress. I would be most interested to hear of some of the (frightening) costs involved, by private e-mail if you like, so that I can arrange counselling and therapy before my own rebuild begins.!!!!!!

Guest bob-men

Hi Clive

No,we are not flagging - tales like yours are an inspiration !!

My own TR4 (  sorry if I'm an interloper on this section) restoration of a basket case is still chugging along after 8 years.I took early retirement and thought I would concentrate on the restoration only to find full time employment again after a three months break.

The speed of your resto makes me ashamed but I blame the DIY demands of my two sons and their respective houses and looking after the Grandchildren.

I am still thoroughly enjoying the resto and all the little ( ? ) challenges it throws up.

Best of luck with yours.

Clive, just look at the number of viewings, almost 1400 at posting time.   We're all reading, there's not a lot to answer unless you set us a poser (not poseur!).   As Rex says above, and to my mind it's a great shame, no re-builders' diaries in TR Action anymore,  I'd like to see some more from Harry Dent - if you're reading Harry!!!

Eeek... I'm pleased to hear you all keep an eye on the topic.  The only progress today is a little card from the post office saying there is a parcel for me.  I guess that's the Trunion and seals.  I'll pick it up tomorrow morning and hopefully fit it on Thursday evening.  I won't be able to fit it on Tomorrow because I will, yet again, be paying smart Bristol a call.  I have a meeting with some senior management.  They have offered a refund or another car, at the moment I bet they are hoiping I'll acept another car... well, if you go to www.thesmartclub.co.uk and go to members areas/message boards/roadster topic(no adds) and look at the stories on there I'm sure you will see why I'm not going to accept another car from smart!

As for it's replacement... I think it's going to be an MR2... well, it's the nearest I can get to a car called TR2 you see!

Great stuff Clive. This confirms that a picture is worth a thousand words, but do I spy a 3a rear panel in place, or will this be modified into a 2 ?

Bloody nice metal work clive, I had not realised how much new metal would be needed to fettle your car, it looked ok at malvern, when do you expect to get the body back home and have you decided who is going to paint it for you?

Keep the reports coming along with photos, as mentioned in other posts it is an inspiration for anyone doing any work on there TR, or any classic for that matter, however small.

Phil

ps we have just bought a classic Mini, so there will no doubt be plenty for me to do of an evening in the garage!!!