Best oil for a TR4A????

Brad Penn 20w50. It has plenty of ZDDP and costs the same as Castrol or other readily available brands of 20w50 (at least on this side of the pond). It's refined from 100% Pennsylvania crude oil and is actually green in color. John

Linklaw, are you sure that IS an oil....look like a film star to me :lol:

Brad Penn 20w50. It's refined from 100% Pennsylvania crude oil and is actually green in color.

John

yep,

Used to smoke that green stuff way back in Colorado....Man, time sure flies.....

Castrol XL20w/50 still formulated to the original SE spec with ZDDP in it. Castrol say that it is good for 60s and 70s made engines. I phoned them and spoke to an advisor re TR4 engines. From whay I understood, because it is an older, "boutique ", formulation, they do not have to comply with the later regs regarding reduced ZDDP. I bought a 25 litre drum.

Rod

Ref the Castrol link............'somebody' in Castrol told a buddy who told me that Halfords 20/50 is a licenced Castrol product ;)

Its a bit cheaper too :lol:

• 10 years later...

My TR4A when hot has low oil pressure 18psi at idle and just under 40 at 2500rpm (when cold it is 70psi).

Car runs well - no noise or rumbling from the engine which had a rebuild at some point in its past. Before considering a rebuild at some point, a suggestion to raising the pressure was to use a higher grade oil...20/60...thoughts?

Giles

Hi Giles,

If only that would work.  When the oil gets hot it thins out

I don't know what oil you use at present but 40psi at 2500rpm indicates (to me) a loose engine etc.

There are various mod's on the engine that can help to LOWER the pressure. What have you got fitted?

Roger

Penrite Medium is a 25w-70w oil that is designed for engines that originally used SAE 40 Oil.  It will raise the oil pressure a bit.  What is the oil pump like?  It's only a couple of hours work to drop the sump and remove it for checking.

Rgds Ian

Giles, 

My 65 Tr4a oil pressure is similar when hot. I even checked the gauge to be sure it was telling the truth (it was). I run 20/50 in it. The car runs fine, good compression, doesn’t burn oil, plugs look good. No worrying noises from the engine. I was advised that while a rebuild probably awaits in the future, just drive it and enjoy it.

Jim