Tyres

Guest colinTR2

Guest colinTR2

Hello all.

Having gone through the discussions on tyres a little while ago I bought a set of 4 Vredestein Sprints for my TR2. Price at £38 included VAT and delivery. So I take them down the road for fitting. The old Michelins were fitted with tubes so these came off. And then we discover that the valve hole in the wheel is too big for the box of valves on the shelf. The garage know nothing about getting bigger diameter valves.

My thinking is that the holes are this size because in the early-mid 50s the wheels were designed to take tubes, and probably cross plies. Although I know radials became an option, when? I also have a barely legal 'X' which may just about suffice as a spare when I am desperate, I suspect this may be an original fitting.

So, two choices. Leave the car at the garage or in order to get the car back home we put old tubes, which look very good, into two new tyres for the front. Next problem, I shredded one of the old tyres which of course shredded the tube as well, so I now need a new tube. Locally two or three people looked totally blank, almost a case of "what is a tube". Anyway a call to Vintage Tyres at Beaulieu, they have them in stock and will send two out today, one spare. Really good service.

Does anyone know if valves come in different diameters? after all the debate it looks as if I shall end up with tubes all round anyway!

Cheers for now

Colin

Hello all.

Having gone through the discussions on tyres a little while ago I bought a set of 4 Vredestein Sprints for my TR2. Price at £38 included VAT and delivery. So I take them down the road for fitting. The old Michelins were fitted with tubes so these came off. And then we discover that the valve hole in the wheel is too big for the box of valves on the shelf. The garage know nothing about getting bigger diameter valves.

My thinking is that the holes are this size because in the early-mid 50s the wheels were designed to take tubes, and probably cross plies. Although I know radials became an option, when? I also have a barely legal 'X' which may just about suffice as a spare when I am desperate, I suspect this may be an original fitting.

So, two choices. Leave the car at the garage or in order to get the car back home we put old tubes, which look very good, into two new tyres for the front. Next problem, I shredded one of the old tyres which of course shredded the tube as well, so I now need a new tube. Locally two or three people looked totally blank, almost a case of "what is a tube". Anyway a call to Vintage Tyres at Beaulieu, they have them in stock and will send two out today, one spare. Really good service.

Does anyone know if valves come in different diameters? after all the debate it looks as if I shall end up with tubes all round anyway!

Cheers for now

Colin

Colin these wheels were as you surmise designed for tubes and some of the tubes available today have smaller valve stems but most good tyre fitting shops should have a collar piece that fits over the valve neck to make up the difference. They should also be able to get hold of a larger push in valve. I always fit tubes anyway and have never had a problem with them even on tubeless tyres despite some of the thinking on here. Its always worthwhile fitting new rather than second hand tubes as they do degrade over time.

Stuart.

I expect to end up with tubes when I swop the tyres on my TR3 (steel wheels) in the spring.

My local fitter recommends tubes anyway, but thinks that the profile of the inside of the casing is the potential problem which leads to early failure on some cars. The internal ribs which are a feature of tubeless tyres can rub the tubes if they are too pronounced; so he suggests that I try to examine some different makes before I order.

Presumably because Vredesteins ans Avons are quite popular their internal profile isn't too bad, but can anyone confirm the position.

thanks

Guest colinTR2

Thanks Stuart and emptyat. I feel a little happier about the situation now. Hope to be able to give the car a spin on four brand newies on saturday afternoon. Am told I will amazed at the improvement, let's hope!!

Colin

Hello all.

Cheers for now

Colin

Hello,

even with Vredestein tyres (I have some on my TR3s), I put tubes. I bought them from Vredstein at the same time as the tyres... no problems, even after few tough rallye. Cheers

Gg

I'm on the third set of tyres for my 1958 TR3A in the past 18 years (100,000 miles) and have never had tubes during this period. I have steel wheels. The tyre shop where I bought my most recent set (Vredestein 165 R 15) tyres merely reached into a closed cabinet to get 4 valve stems with a larger outside diameter. I have to assume they must be readily available.

During this time, I have never had a puncture.

Hi Guys,

this is all very straightforward.

A lot of early wheels had a 15 mm hole for a wide valve, later wheels standardised on a 13mm hole hence the valve designations RV 13 and RV 15,

Would you believe rubber valve 13 mm etc.

Modern tubes, obviously are 13 mm so you need a plastic ferrule in the larger hole to stop the valve moving, and maybe chafing on the rim, it also helps stop moisture getting inside the wheel with all the associated problems,

I wrote an article on this very subject for TR Action years ago now, andit is still on technicalities CD if you have one to hand.

Colin, these ferrules are very readily available in the tyre trade, but if you are struggling, get in touch, I am happy to send you some FOC.

Re Tubleless tyres on ORIGINAL TR 3A wheels, No I am sorry this is wrong.

It is a well base wheel, the norm for the period, and yes it will hold air, but it is unsafe to use with tubeless tyres because of the danger on the tyre rolling into the well of the wheel during cornering, and the highly dangerous consequences, I would strongly urge anyone contemplating using ORIGINAL Tr wheels with tubeless tyres to think again, read all the literature of the time, and the original fitment details, OR ask your local tyre people, but it is a NO NO.

john.

Colin,

I bought some Vredestein Sprints for my TR3A earlier this year. When the local garage fitted them they asked me if the wheels took Land Rover valves! I have had several tyres fitted to my TRs over the years and have never had a problem with the fitter not knowing about the larger valves.

John,

I have also never used tubes on my TRs on their standard steel wheels. I suspect if this was going to cause me problems I would have discovered this during the many auto tests or rallies I have competed in. Last year someone commented that my front rims were almost touching the tarmac (on my old Uniroyal tyres).

Don,

I said that I would report back on my Vredesteins after a few miles - they are GREAT. They seem to have firmer side walls than my previous tyres and therefore have improved the cars handling, they grip well in the wet and the steering is very much lighter, yet more responsive. Thanks for the recommendation.

Nick