Just to let people know t hat I will be starting on the few remaining parts in about 2 weeks

The next job is to produce the dies for casting the mounting feet,this will be time consuming and not the sort of job to fit in with other projects

I will keep you informed on progress.

for those that want to know what aeroscreens make in the US. Ebay listing number 370111867648 just watch this space

Just to let people know t hat I will be starting on the few remaining parts in about 2 weeks

The next job is to produce the dies for casting the mounting feet,this will be time consuming and not the sort of job to fit in with other projects

I will keep you informed on progress.

for those that want to know what aeroscreens make in the US. Ebay listing number 370111867648 just watch this space

$1550 That is £1000 thats in spite of the credit crunch

These are exact copies good enough to fool anybody, except me

Tom

You have previously posted photos of your pre-production aeroscreens but I can't find them on searching, so could you please post them again?

Do you have any indicative costs yet?

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Something tells me these don't look right for a TR as the seller claims.

eBay #140286343198

Any thoughts?

Bob Brennan

S, Freeport, ME

TS 24528

Hi Bob,

these look like what they're described as, traditional 'Brooklands' aeroscreens - well used and well aged.

These were, and are, a proprietary aftermarket accessory - quite distinct from the original Stanpart TR aeroscreens.

As far as I'm aware, they haven't changed much with the passing decades. Current production varies considerably in price, depends where you're buying from, anything from £100-150 the pair in the UK.

Whether these ebay items are worth $400 a pair for the patina is another question.

However, it's fair enough to suggest that they'd be at home on pretty much any British sports car of the 50s or 60s.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

Assuming that these screens with their double mounting holes in each post are TR correct, was it the practice to patch the single hole per post (13-1/4" o.c.) and drill new ones? That hurts, just thinking about it! These look like they'd fit my TC EXU, but I'm not sure how you'd mount them on a TR without a transitional two-to-one mount.

I seem to recall that Moss used to sell screens with "Brooklands" cast into the frame.

Hi Alec,

Assuming that these screens with their double mounting holes in each post are TR correct, was it the practice to patch the single hole per post (13-1/4" o.c.) and drill new ones? That hurts, just thinking about it! These look like they'd fit my TC EXU, but I'm not sure how you'd mount them on a TR without a transitional two-to-one mount.

I seem to recall that Moss used to sell screens with "Brooklands" cast into the frame.

Those are not TR2/3 originals and will not fit the holes in your scuttle.

The Original TR type look like this, note the different 'foot' that matches the one hole in out TR's....

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/44b1_1.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/6b1c_1.jpg

Those are not TR2/3 originals and will not fit the holes in your scuttle.

The Original TR type look like this, note the different 'foot' that matches the one hole in out TR's....

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/44b1_1.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/6b1c_1.jpg

Another picture as the one screen was missing the proper rubber seal..

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/67df_1.jpg

Perhaps a comparative checklist would be helpful in identifying the different aeroscreens.

ORIGINAL FACTORY OPTIONAL EXTRA ITEMS

Have no brand on them, although believed to have been made for Stanpart by Brooklands.

Have a chunky chromed foot at each end with one bolt hole only, to match with TR scuttle bolts. (These bolts deleted at car TS 32833)

Have a rubber seal to close the gap between the aeroscreen and the scuttle.

Have glass which bulges slightly on each side after it leaves the frame.

Very rare, and worth a great deal of money, so never advertised cheaply like the items below.

AFTERMARKET ITEMS STILL IN CURRENT SUPPLY

Have the Brooklands brand along the bottom rail of the chrome frame.

Have thin pedestal mounts that attach to the aeroscreen with grub screws, and feet that take two small countersunk fixing screws.

Have no rubber seal to bridge the gap to the scuttle.

If fitting the aftermarket items, regardless of whether the car has the factory aeroscreen mounts or not, two holes have to be drilled in the scuttle each side. If wanting to leave the aeroscreens on the car when using the windscreen/hood, the pedestal feet need to be fixed just behind the trimmed dash capping. One way to set up fitting them is to have the windscreen on, and tape them in place behind it. Put a piece of masking tape down on the scuttle beneath the foot, and mark the front drill holes through the pedestal feet. Remove the windscreen. Drill one front hole, then set up the aeroscreen and check across to the other side that the mark is correct before drilling. Then drop in the front fixing bolts and mark and drill the back holes. Drill through the masking tape so the drill bit won't skid off and damage the scuttle duco.

Fix with csk stainless (no rust) metal threads with a flat and a spring washer underneath. Boat or caravan supply places have them. DON'T use self tappers, as an aeroscreen detaching itself at speed wouldn't be fun.

Regards,

Viv.

There is someone doing a pair of conversion brackets to use the original fixing holes with the "Brooklands" repro style, they appear on ebay now and again.

Stuart.

Perhaps a comparative checklist would be helpful in identifying the different aeroscreens.

ORIGINAL FACTORY OPTIONAL EXTRA ITEMS

Have no brand on them, although believed to have been made for Stanpart by Brooklands.

Have a chunky chromed foot at each end with one bolt hole only, to match with TR scuttle bolts. (These bolts deleted at car TS 32833)

Have a rubber seal to close the gap between the aeroscreen and the scuttle.

Have glass which bulges slightly on each side after it leaves the frame.

Very rare, and worth a great deal of money, so never advertised cheaply like the items below.

AFTERMARKET ITEMS STILL IN CURRENT SUPPLY

Have the Brooklands brand along the bottom rail of the chrome frame.

Have thin pedestal mounts that attach to the aeroscreen with grub screws, and feet that take two small countersunk fixing screws.

Have no rubber seal to bridge the gap to the scuttle.

If fitting the aftermarket items, regardless of whether the car has the factory aeroscreen mounts or not, two holes have to be drilled in the scuttle each side. If wanting to leave the aeroscreens on the car when using the windscreen/hood, the pedestal feet need to be fixed just behind the trimmed dash capping. One way to set up fitting them is to have the windscreen on, and tape them in place behind it. Put a piece of masking tape down on the scuttle beneath the foot, and mark the front drill holes through the pedestal feet. Remove the windscreen. Drill one front hole, then set up the aeroscreen and check across to the other side that the mark is correct before drilling. Then drop in the front fixing bolts and mark and drill the back holes. Drill through the masking tape so the drill bit won't skid off and damage the scuttle duco.

Fix with csk stainless (no rust) metal threads with a flat and a spring washer underneath. Boat or caravan supply places have them. DON'T use self tappers, as an aeroscreen detaching itself at speed wouldn't be fun.

Regards,

Viv.

Just to confuse things further, there's another screen that was sold by Vic Derrington back in the fifties (look at his adds in contemporary AutoSport) which to my eye is better than any of them (I was lucky enough to get one from our esteemed Registrar to go onto the TR2 Derrington used to prepare and race).

Conversion feet for a brooklands to fit directly on to the TR mounting brackets are available from me. These are similar to the feet used on the correct factory screens

Shown here with the glass replaced with the correct TR shape. Making a very acceptable alternative to spending a fortune on the real thing

Conversion feet for a brooklands to fit directly on to the TR mounting brackets are available from me. These are similar to the feet used on the correct factory screens

Shown here with the glass replaced with the correct TR shape. Making a very acceptable alternative to spending a fortune on the real thing

Is it possible to fit a rubber seal to the underneath of the frame as well?

Stuart.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01224.jpg

Stuart,

They appear to be the Moss screens with the addition of higher glass/ proper feet. I've added the rubber seal to the same by applying an alloy bar across the front with the rubber seal made from an older windshield seal cut to fit. I doubt you could inlet the alloy Moss frame from the bottom as there isn't much depth to the brooklands and the originals looked to have more metal there.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01224.jpg

Stuart,

They appear to be the Moss screens with the addition of higher glass/ proper feet. I've added the rubber seal to the same by applying an alloy bar across the front with the rubber seal made from an older windshield seal cut to fit. I doubt you could inlet the alloy Moss frame from the bottom as there isn't much depth to the brooklands and the originals looked to have more metal there.

Oh well it was only a thought. Back to waiting for the expensive ones!!

Stuart.

Just out of interest what are the differences that make it more appealing than the original.

Any chance of a photo of the Derrington aero screen................???????

Richard ;);)

Richard - a few TRActions back they printed a copy of a photo from AutoSport August 29, 1958 of Peter Gammon driving the Derrington/Parkin TR2 at Goodwood. It shows the screen but in real life it's a bit better looking. It follows the curve of the scuttle. It's perspex in an aluminium channel. Bolts straight into the holes provided in the scuttle. To my eye the conventional aeroscreens are essentially are pre-war style. The thing about the TR2 is that it was a post war effort. So as I see it the two don't go together in style terms although no doubt Standard Triumph sold them. The reason the conventional screens work on MG midgets is that the post war MGs were a pre war style. In fact isn't the only difference between a TB and a TC that one is pre war and one post? One day I must get round to sending the Registrar a photo of the car now complete with Derrington screen and steering wheel for his column in TRAction - perhaps this Spring. I can try and get a photo of the screen separately if you like and will try and discover how to post it on here. But as I've never done it before, have to borrow my lovely wife's camera, and her laptop to do it........................... don't hold your breath. Best regards JJC

Is it possible to fit a rubber seal to the underneath of the frame as well? Stuart.

Stuart

What's all the fuss about a little draft under the areoscreen, if you’re putting up with flies and a few stones stuck in your forehead and teeth then a few more on the chin is not a problem............. :P

Cheers

Andrew