Radiomobile 1085X Instructions

Hi

Does anyone have a copy of the Instruction Booklet, that came with this radio ,that they could photocopy for me please ?

Many thanks.

Bob

Sorry no, but waht is it you want to know?

Mike

Guys

Thanks for the responses so far.

Alex/Gary I found these two websites but the Tadpoleradio seems to refer to instuctions for his converted ( MP3 player) radio, whilst the Savoy-Hll one only lists instructions for a model 1085X " cassette " player.

Angelfj's attachment answers a little of the problem.

Mike I'm trying for the "cheap answer" to the radio set up, so that I can test it,to see that it operates correctly.I believe I can guess at the wiring leads emerging from the case.

A purple power supply lead,a thick aerial lead. combined black and black & white speaker leads.How do the five preset buttons work ? The left hand button does the tuning.The right hand..... on /off and tone ?

I bought an old spare Radiomobile to use for missing/ broken plastic knobs.The model number sticker is missing from the back of the casing but I guess it is a 1070 model.This has the same wiring with an additional thicker blue wire.Could this be a power source for a cassette player ?

Once I've established I've got a working model I'll ponder on the upgrade options.I have an ex Navy radio/ electronics expert mate Dave who owes me a favour and is quite good with a soldering iron !

A photocopy of the Instructions would get him off to a good start.

Bob

Hi Bob,

most of these press button tuners works in the following manner.

Using the tuner knob select a programme (ie the 'Light' programme) then 'pull out' the first pre-set tuner button (make sure it is still in tune) then press the tuner button fully in.

This should set the first button to your programme. Repeat for the rest of the buttons with the 'Home service', Radio luxemburgh' etc

I'm doing this from a 30 year memory gap but I think is about right.

Roger

Hi Bob,

most of these press button tuners works in the following manner.

Using the tuner knob select a programme (ie the 'Light' programme) then 'pull out' the first pre-set tuner button (make sure it is still in tune) then press the tuner button fully in.

This should set the first button to your programme. Repeat for the rest of the buttons with the 'Home service', Radio luxemburgh' etc

I'm doing this from a 30 year memory gap but I think is about right.

Roger

Yes , the tuning is a mechanical arrangement on those old Radiomobiles (and the contempory Motorolas , (I think the Smiths was actually a licened Motorola) done as Roger says with bits of string behind the front panel. The left most button was long wave , tune that to 198khz or more likely marked 1500m. That is now Radio 4. Usually in the middle of the dial.

On the M or medium wave buttons I think you will find that Virgin and Radio 5 now occupy waht was the light Programme around 1031 metres. At least one M button should actually be pretty well exactly i nth e same place as the Long wave setting as reagards position. I hope the tuning needle does move about move about when you do this as again I have a 30+ years memory of it being a reall picky thing to sort out.

The left knob was usually pull/push for on/off and twist for volume. An outer rotary lever set tone. The right knob was tuning. Can't remember the wire colour codes, but these things are simple enough that you can just look inside and see where they go.

You will need to have good suppression on your ignition, possibly dynamo/alternator as well and a properly earthed and decent aerial or you will not be able to hear anything other than engine razz or hiss.

Mike

Mike