Air Filter assy for TR5/6

Hello all,

I am in need of a couple of photos. I need to know how the stock air filter housing mounts to the car, and also if someone had a couple of pics of where the 2 small hoses from the housing terminate at the front of the car?

Are there any special brackets/fittings that i need to make/buy?

Once again, thanks in advance for any and all advice,

Mitch

I am in need of a couple of photos. I need to know how the stock air filter housing mounts to the car, and also if someone had a couple of pics of where the 2 small hoses from the housing terminate at the front of the car?

Are there any special brackets/fittings that i need to make/buy?

I can post a pic tomorrow. Presumably it's a PI system you have ?

As regards the hoses this was discussed a while ago and I seem to recall we agreed that the intake hoses to the air filter housing are superfluous. :unsure:

Ivor

As regards the hoses this was discussed a while ago and I seem to recall we agreed that the intake hoses to the air filter housing are superfluous.

I didn't.....but there's always one :D

OK I found a pic of my TR6 from when I first bought the car, I also took a couple more. The triangular bracket at the rear - third pic - is welded onto a round tube that fastens into the filter box with a jubilee clip. The intake hose then slips over the tube (as you see in the first pic). Attached to it in this third pic is the right-hand radiator support bracket.

My filter box only has one inlet hole, so I don't know how two hoses would attach - as you will deduce, my car doesn't have them. :P I think the discussion on the topic of the hoses was in the TR6 forum.

It appears from the Moss cat that there is only one filter assy for the TR5/6, if there is some difference on the 5 then I'm sure someone will pipe up.

BTW you did me a favour, I meant to paint the box and I put it in the back of my travelling shed (Landrover) and forgot. This is the trouble when you start painting things under the bonnet - paint one bit it makes other bits look tatty, what Stan calls 'Shipwright's Disease' :lol:

Robin take note. :(

Ivor

Blownupfilter.jpg

Filterbox.jpg

Backoffilterbox.jpg

Just what i was looking for Ivor, now i should be able to knock off the brackets that mount the filter assy. My PI system only came with a mesh filter over the end of the Intake plenum, but i really do want the stock air filter. For some reason i have it in my mind that my filter box has 2 intake hoses, but it has been so long since i looked at it, im sure it just has one.

thanks again for the pics,

Mitch

For some reason i have it in my mind that my filter box has 2 intake hoses, but it has been so long since i looked at it, im sure it just has one.

Funny you should mention that. Just listed on eBay is what looks like an early injection set, from a TR6, and there are indeed two intakes to the filter box.

So you may be right, even though Moss show only one type of box in their cat, and mine has just the one intake.

Looks like the brackets would be the same though.

Ivor

Hi,

That looks like a TR5 airbox with a single large diameter inlet. Its the same as the one fitted to the 5 I've had for 30 years.

I'm not sure but the MK1 PI saloons may have had the same part but virtually all the TR6's I've seen have had the 2 inlets fitted, either with, or without, the flexy hoses across the back of the grille.

All '125' cars seem to have had the flexys.

Thats my two penneth for what its worth.

regards, Chris

Hi,

That looks like a TR5 airbox with a single large diameter inlet. Its the same as the one fitted to the 5 I've had for 30 years.

I'm not sure but the MK1 PI saloons may have had the same part but virtually all the TR6's I've seen have had the 2 inlets fitted, either with, or without, the flexy hoses across the back of the grille.

All '125' cars seem to have had the flexys.

Thats my two penneth for what its worth.

regards, Chris

Chris

i trust you are keeping well, my 5 filter has two ports (feb 1969 build) as i am collecting all the correct bits for the rebuild, should i be looking for a single pipe air filter housing as it could have been changed prior to 1984 when i got it ??????,

regards

david

Great info on the air boxes gents, thanks again. I wonder if someone could give me a bit more information on the 2 "flexy" hoses that run across the grill? Does someone have a pic of that? Or maybe a description of where they terminate at the grill? Its the small details like this that have been giving me grief with this car as i really don't have any other ones to look at.

Again, thanks for the information...

Mitch Smith

I wonder if someone could give me a bit more information on the 2 "flexy" hoses that run across the grill? Does someone have a pic of that? Or maybe a description of where they terminate at the grill?

Hi Mitch,

I don't have a picture because the radiator shroud is in the way but on my car the hoses go across behind the grill to either side of the centre point and then point down toward the opening in the front valance (below the bumper). Each hose is attached behind the grill by a loop of steel strip.

Hope this helps

Hi Dave, Mitch

I can confirm that the 2 TR5's I have, both have the same air box. It has a single large diameter exactly as shown on 88V8's photographs. The bracket that suspends the 'can' is bolted to the front panel as shown in the photos, however there is normally a tubular strut that goes from the curved part of the wheel arch onto the same pin. ie the same bolt fixes both the strut and the airbox.

Neither car ever had a hose on the inlet part of the filter housing and during my ownership and awareness of both cars, (which amounts to 30 yrs each) neither had a duct panel to the radiator. My cars are in the CP900's and CP3000's.

I can say that my brothers' very original '72 early CR series TR6 has a 2 inlet airbox with the two flexyhoses supported by large metel loops, hung off the top of the front panel. pretty much as described in a previous posting. As far as I know the 'CP' TR6's had the 2 inlet box but I've no idea when the flexys were fitted.

Dave.......Are you sure your car was built in Feb '69 ???

As for 'Am I keeping well ?' Yeah, not bad ,but wishing I'd kept my daughter away from old TR's as the spitfire she had for her 18th is looking for a new home as (Quote) 'I really fancy a TR dad' :rolleyes: Learn from my mistake Dave, and get your kids into Football, dancing, clubbing etc. The phrase 'Hi Dad.....Cars broke again' seems to never stop. Joking aside, I'm fine and hope you and yours are all well too.

Sadly reckon you should have the airbox shown in the photo on your car - Post a note to Santa - he may be a Forum member :lol: .

Best Wishes, Chris

Just to confuse things even more (!!! :o ), my 5 has what I believe to be the original Filter housing 'can'... there are three holes - all around 70mm dia. - two facing inboard with the third facing the opposite direction (behind the headlight) with a short length of metal tube as per 88V8's 2nd pic...

Brgds

Edited by ianhoward
OK I found a pic of my TR6 from when I first bought the car, I also took a couple more. The triangular bracket at the rear - third pic - is welded onto a round tube that fastens into the filter box with a jubilee clip. The intake hose then slips over the tube (as you see in the first pic). Attached to it in this third pic is the right-hand radiator support bracket.

My filter box only has one inlet hole, so I don't know how two hoses would attach - as you will deduce, my car doesn't have them. :P I think the discussion on the topic of the hoses was in the TR6 forum.

It appears from the Moss cat that there is only one filter assy for the TR5/6, if there is some difference on the 5 then I'm sure someone will pipe up.

BTW you did me a favour, I meant to paint the box and I put it in the back of my travelling shed (Landrover) and forgot. This is the trouble when you start painting things under the bonnet - paint one bit it makes other bits look tatty, what Stan calls 'Shipwright's Disease' :lol:

Robin take note. :(

Ivor

Blownupfilter.jpg

Filterbox.jpg

Backoffilterbox.jpg

Ivor

duly noted but the need still burns. Yes my 5 has the single inlet as well. On my sixes I used two 'plastic funnels' from B+Q to create a funneled inlet for the air box and whilst I cannot claim better performance they certainly didnt cause a problem. I thought I'd try these after reading loads of stuff about more cold air for the PI system and noting that 'ram air' systems cost serious money whereas two palstic funnelds about £3.

Hi Dave, Mitch

I can confirm that the 2 TR5's I have, both have the same air box. It has a single large diameter exactly as shown on 88V8's photographs. The bracket that suspends the 'can' is bolted to the front panel as shown in the photos, however there is normally a tubular strut that goes from the curved part of the wheel arch onto the same pin. ie the same bolt fixes both the strut and the airbox.

Neither car ever had a hose on the inlet part of the filter housing and during my ownership and awareness of both cars, (which amounts to 30 yrs each) neither had a duct panel to the radiator. My cars are in the CP900's and CP3000's.

I can say that my brothers' very original '72 early CR series TR6 has a 2 inlet airbox with the two flexyhoses supported by large metel loops, hung off the top of the front panel. pretty much as described in a previous posting. As far as I know the 'CP' TR6's had the 2 inlet box but I've no idea when the flexys were fitted.

Dave.......Are you sure your car was built in Feb '69 ???

As for 'Am I keeping well ?' Yeah, not bad ,but wishing I'd kept my daughter away from old TR's as the spitfire she had for her 18th is looking for a new home as (Quote) 'I really fancy a TR dad' :rolleyes: Learn from my mistake Dave, and get your kids into Football, dancing, clubbing etc. The phrase 'Hi Dad.....Cars broke again' seems to never stop. Joking aside, I'm fine and hope you and yours are all well too.

Sadly reckon you should have the airbox shown in the photo on your car - Post a note to Santa - he may be a Forum member :lol: .

Chris

thats teh Yoof for you they start taking the cars off you, our boy wants the bumpers off as it looks better (more sporty), i have a bling gear knob is that not enough, we are into Football but the TR is a lot better than Sunderland at the moment, off to Blackburn at the weekend so lets hope it gets better, keep his mind off the car

i will post a wanted for the filter asy

cheers David

Best Wishes, Chris

It is a case of 1 inlet pipe is TR5 and 2 inlet pipes is TR6.

The sad part is that like most things TR5, original 1 inlet pipe air filter boxes have sold on ebay for very silly money, even though they are not worth the stupid prices some people are prepared to pay.

Unless you have a car that is original and concours in every other example, does it matter how many inlet pipes it has.

I'll help and give the answer....of course not!

However, perhaps David and Ivor can come to some arrangement where David supplies Ivor with the correct part for his car and Ivor does the same for David.

Will the Forum show its power and usefulness?

Mind you, Ivor's TR5 airbox doesn't have its original paint finish!

David

..perhaps David and Ivor can come to some arrangement where David supplies Ivor with the correct part for his car and Ivor does the same for David.

Unfortunately someone else may have beaten David to the kill.... if not, then by all means we can swap as I am pretty unconcerned about the number of holes in a component that can be seen only by peering myopically through the grille :P

Paint - it looks quite aged, just as well it wasn't original as I've since applied even more non-original paint to it. :lol:

Ivor

Paint - it looks quite aged, just as well it wasn't original as I've since applied even more non-original paint to it. :lol:

Ivor,

With the price of 5's, I think you have the right idea.......getting it "one piece at a time" :D

It is a case of 1 inlet pipe is TR5 and 2 inlet pipes is TR6.

The sad part is that like most things TR5, original 1 inlet pipe air filter boxes have sold on ebay for very silly money, even though they are not worth the stupid prices some people are prepared to pay.

Unless you have a car that is original and concours in every other example, does it matter how many inlet pipes it has.

I'll help and give the answer....of course not!

However, perhaps David and Ivor can come to some arrangement where David supplies Ivor with the correct part for his car and Ivor does the same for David.

David

The TR5 always had a large single entry air filter box and was silver in colour whereas the TR6 always had the smaller twin port entry and was painted black. Whilst the very early Pi

saloon had a box similar to the TR5 item it was in fact, different. The twin flexible pipes fitted to the TR6's twin port air filter box were fitted from CP52894 onwards. The TR5 single entry air box should be fitted with the entry port towards the inner wing and not towards the radiator side as this ensured it was getting fairly fresh air without the possibility of taking in water or air borne muck.

Alan

(ex. X755) :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
The TR5 always had a large single entry air filter box and was silver in colour whereas the TR6 always had the smaller twin port entry and was painted black. Whilst the very early Pi

saloon had a box similar to the TR5 item it was in fact, different. The twin flexible pipes fitted to the TR6's twin port air filter box were fitted from CP52894 onwards. The TR5 single entry air box should be fitted with the entry port towards the inner wing and not towards the radiator side as this ensured it was getting fairly fresh air without the possibility of taking in water or air borne muck.

Alan

(ex. X755) :rolleyes:

I can confirm what Alan says mine is exactly like that.