Miata (MX5) Seats in TR2-3B

I am planning to install Mazdz Miata (MX5) seats in my project TR2. Saw an install in Roger Williams book on how it Improve Triumph TR2-4A on page137 and he gives credit to one Trevor Gilks who I am assuming may be a TR Register member. Have been hoping to be able to contact him and determin the details of how he accomplished this feat! Or---perhaps there is someone else out there in TR land who has attempted this swap. I would be most grateful if you would reply to this post whith any information you can share.

Thanks, Dan2

Roger Williams has done more damage to the classic side screen cars than even he recognizes. The very thought of installing Mazda high back seats in a TR2 is pretty disgusting.

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana

54 TR2LD

Miata seats in a TR4-6 might be acceptable ;) but in a sidescreen car it's an overkill. Would prefer to see some period looking sports seats. As my car had no seats when purchased it, I fitted a pair of secondhand Lancia rally seats, I think they came from a Stratos. They make " boarding " a little difficult with top on, but they seat great.

Spent 14 hours in them on The M5 two years ago , was quite a good test :lol::lol:

I fitted a pair of secondhand Lancia rally seats, I think they came from a Stratos.

Jean

I don't suppose you were lucky enough to have the remainder of the Stratos offered to you at the same time?? :lol::lol:

Regards

Peter

I am planning to install Mazdz Miata (MX5) seats in my project TR2. Saw an install in Roger Williams book on how it Improve Triumph TR2-4A on page137 and he gives credit to one Trevor Gilks who I am assuming may be a TR Register member. Have been hoping to be able to contact him and determin the details of how he accomplished this feat! Or---perhaps there is someone else out there in TR land who has attempted this swap. I would be most grateful if you would reply to this post whith any information you can share.

Thanks, Dan2

Hello,

I think it is easier to buy a set of COBRA CUB seats (ref ECOBCUB), they fit PERFECTLY to the TR2/3. see the photo attached

Rgds

GG

PS : see this page of my site http://www.trregisterfrance.com/TR3rallye/...allye_fin1.html

post-5266-1225916961_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1225916971_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1225916961_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1225916971_thumb.jpg

I don't find the standard TR3A seats particularly uncomfortable (if properly refurbished), although lateral support is poor in comparison with the Corbeau GT4 bucket seats I had in my previous TR3A. My only concern is the lack of head restraints and I suspect this may be a factor for some in choosing MX5 or similar high-back seats.

Personally, I'd rather keep the original seats and fit removable head restraints. These used to be quite common in the 60s/70s, but have presumably been forced out by H&S laws and the fact that all new cars have head restraints built in as standard. I know Pilkie was lucky enough to find some (although not the design I was thinking of), but they are extremely rare. Anyone got a pair lurking in a dusty corner of the garage?

Can I ask those who have fitted alternative seats such as Corbeau or Cobra what sort of seat runners they used ? My TR2 came with no seats and I have purchased a pair of new seats from a supplier in Belgium for less than the standard vinyl seat covers costs on their own. I think they are Corbeau but look like the ones photographed above, so could be Cobra. The reason I ask is that I have had a trial fit, placing the seats on early TR4 separate runners in the car and the seat seems possibly a bit high for me being 6 feet tall. Final fit may prove different...I hope. The TR4 runners are not very high and not as high as the "standard" new runners I bought with the seats. Obviously I don't really want to bolt the seats straight to the floor pans without runners, particularly as my wife intends to drive it as well.

Dan , I don't know how tall you are, but it may be worth checking into before you buy anything.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Can I ask those who have fitted alternative seats such as Corbeau or Cobra what sort of seat runners they used ?

These Corbeau Retro GT4 Seats are the modern equivalent of the seats I fitted in my previous TR3A and appear virtually unchanged. They only just fitted and I bolted them directly to the floor without runners, probably because there was very little room to adjust them anyway and also to keep the seat back below the tonneau level.

Adjustment was an issue for me as I' m not very tall ;) From person having fitted alternative seats in a 3A body I noticed that they allowed for almost no forward travel. Compared to newer BF Torino seats, having the same layout, mine are much narrower and so they gave me a rather good seating position in relation to pedal/steering wheel :)

The seats in the 3A are mounted on TR6 rails, a left-over when I fitted Recaro seats in the 6, what took place as early as 1975 :rolleyes: