Gear stick vibration

Hi Nick,

Could be anti rattle spring/ plunger is missing from end of gear stick ( common problem)

paste this link, and scroll down to near the bottom to find out more:-

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/G...earboxCover.htm

Regards

Dale

Nice one. I am sure this is missing having recently put the gear stick back in. Trouble is, I am not sure I have the energy left to remove the centre console! Pain in the proverbial. I will do it next time around. Thanks

Nic

The rattle is part of the joy of TR motoring and is there to tell you and your passenger - should there be any doubt - that you are accelerating (although the push in the back should also be present)!

The reason I bought a TR2 in 1963 was that it was the first car in which I had travelled where one could feel acceleration at 80 mph, it would do 100 mph and 30 mpg, yet cost £200 - an unbeatable combination in those days!

Ian Cornish

A missing anti-rattle spring and plunger it the most likely cause, but while you're in there, check another possibility: the reinforcing strap on the left side linking the shifter housing to the transmission mount. Mine was missing, and the shifter would rattle in first and third, but not in second and first, probably because in first and third the shift rods moved to the rear of the extension where there is more play without the reinforcing strap. The other possibility, if you do not have overdrive, is a missing counterweight on the rear end of the transmission. TR6s did not need this, but the vibration of a 2.2 litre four cylinder is such that all TR4s had this counterweight. That's also why Mitsubishi invented the counter-rotating balance shafts, and Porsche was able to build a 3 litre four with very low vibration levels. And even with all this, you'll still get a slight rattle in a TR4 - it'a part of the character of the beast. And why TR4s were meant to be driven with the top/hood down - then you won't hear the rattle.

A missing anti-rattle spring and plunger it the most likely cause, but while you're in there, check another possibility: the reinforcing strap on the left side linking the shifter housing to the transmission mount.

I concur with Smokey. The strap is mandatory. if you can't find one, just make one with a robust piece of metal. Well worth the effort.

The replacement spring sold by all parts suppliers is too long. You have to cut 1/4 off. Still a major pain to install but it's a TR, right? Got to be painful....

Cheers,

Edited by Badfrog