Broken Annulus

I hope some of you experts can help me with this.Set out for the Stoke club run yesterday, called for petrol, set off again changed to second loud clunk then no drive to the rear wheels!!!! Towed the car home, jacked up rear end. Ran in gear & found the prop shaft was not rotating. Removed seats & gearbox tunnel, disconnected propshaft from overdrive, and found i could turn the flange with the car in gear!!! Removed gearbox rear mounting and jacked up the gearbox as far as I could. Removed the tail of the A type overdrive unit and discovered that the annulus had snapped just in front of the bearing.

My question is, is this a common fault. and what could have caused this to happen.

Thanks John.

Hi John,

don't know if it is common but yours is the second failure this summer that I have come across - the first being on the way back from Classic Le mans.

Is your 6 tuned slightly or otherwise as the first on was.

Roger

Hi Roger

It's a 150 bhp PI with extractor manifold and twin pipe exhaust, so pretty much standard.