Competition radiator,

Oil cooler,

Minilite wheels,

Quick rack,

Battery cut-off,

5-Speed gearbox,

Strengthened shell etc. etc.

From the Arthur Carter Collection.

With Heritage certificate and extensive history.

Ready for the most serious of rallies.

Incredible value.

and what's it on sale for?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

£14,995

Kevin,

Follow this link for some info on this car below.

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/p...SaleSectionNo=2

This car was for sale at stoneleighly about two years ago, if I remeber correctly for £7995 at the time by the owner.

Hope this helps a bit also look at my link on the TR Drivers web site about this car

http://www.trdrivers.com/early_tr7_sprint_competition_c.html

Jim Johnson

Edited by tr7jim
Thanks Jim,

you know more about the interesting Wedges than most people !

Looking at the Bonhams website, it doesn't seem as if the car sold at Goodwood, at its estimate of £7-10K ?

Cheers,

Alec

I agree with you it didn't sell. This car is a Very yearly ACG TR7, which was one of the first UK TR7's to be launch by BL in 1975.

Jim

Hi Reg,

IF, and that's a big IF, the description as relayed by Kevin is accurate . . . then £5K would be the bargain of the year in my book. You couldn't build a 16v TR7 to that spec for twice the money, and that would be a bitsa without any sort of provenance. Historic rallying is a money game, however you look at it, and the most ridiculous cars with any sort of provenance fetch serious spondoolahs . . .

Cheers,

Alec

When the car was sold at auction by Arthur Carter it made £3,4540 not that long ago. As Jim says it was for sale around 2 years ago for £7995, the car was however much improved after the original sale and probably worth that figure. Alecs right, you cant build much of a replica sprint engined rally car for £5000 and this car belonged to Arthur Carter who had a super collection of rally cars.

Edited by chris turner
When the car was sold at auction by Arthur Carter it made £3,4540 not that long ago. As Jim says it was for sale around 2 years ago for £7995, the car was however much improved after the original sale and probably worth that figure. Alecs right, you cant build much of a replica sprint engined rally car for £5000 and this car belonged to Arthur Carter who had a super collection of rally cars.

Bearing in mind the provenance of this vehicle and the fact that it is an ex press demonstrator, therefore a very early car plus taking into account the work that has been done to it to bring it up to the standard you see it in, I would suggest it is worth a fair bit more than £5000. £4-5000 generally buys an absolutely superb TR7V8 and even then the vehicle would have had considerably more spent on it. I can quote from experience (not personal but almost) of a certain TR7V8 that was involved in an accident where the rebuild costs exceeded £15,000 (yes, fifteen thousand) and was subsequently sold very recently for £5750.

As a very early, ex demonstrator, rally sprint replica I would be looking at paying possibly around £10-12,000 for it especially taking into consideration where it's come from.

My opinion of course but ultimately, the car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Gary

I tried to add a reply on Thursday to all the interesting comments regarding the ex Arthur Carter Sprint that we currently have for sale - but for some reason it did not appear !! The car is in fantastic condition with recent expenditure into the thousands of pounds !! A rare, very interesting car with a good history and in excellent condition. I have now attached more photographs on our web site - www.sherwoodrestorations.co.uk - so please have a look. we are open seven days a week so there is no excuse should anyone wish to come and have a look. You are all welcome and the kettle`s is always on !! You could not bulid this car, especially a genuine `sprint`, to this spec and condition for anywhere near our asking price !! Your money is probably safer here than in the bank !!!

• 3 years later...

Hi Andy,

having done a little research after this post first appeared 3 years ago, I'm not convinced there is any significant competition history - just one of more than a few Wedges that enjoyed some modest clubbie motor sport in the 70s and 80s and were subsequently rebuilt.

I'd suggest you have to value it on what it is now, taking into account a wee bit of history as a 'press car' - and the suggestion that it may have been one of the cars 'dolled up' to look the part at dealer shows at the time. I wouldn't suggest that adds a great deal to its intrinsic value though.

Cheers,

Alec

• 2 years later...

OK guys I have watched this thread for a little while and here's the lowdown -all of which is correct:

The car was an early press demonstrator car registered KDU 367N, it belonged to the late David Lister who bought it on a whim with a view to perhaps racing it in the TR Register Race Championship in 1989.

He didn't and it sat at Chris Carter's establishmnent Chestnut House Sports Cars in Wisbech for a few months whilst Dave explored the possibilities. Its original colour was a very fetching shade of dull orange which was certainly not to everybody's taste.

Chris' uncle Arthur (see the connection?) had run a number of Formula 2 & 3 and other race cars over the years and had probably THE definitive collection of BMC rally cars anywhere plus a huge collection of MG and other vehicles.

His experience with Triumph was limited to a 2.5PI special in which he had a major accident whilst driving on his farm track. This resulted in his wife ordering it destruction whilst he recovered in hospital!!

Over the winter of 1988/89, Arthur was introduced to Dave Lister and agreed to buy the car. He did some research on it and discovered what it was. His engine builder at the time was Chris Conoley who was then based in Kings Lynn; he now owns Mass Engineering in Little Gransden in Bedfordshire.

Chris Conoley was given the task of building the car up to be a major contender in the TR Race Championship. Arthur's business interests included restoration and he stripped and repainted the car in BL competition colours whilst Chris developed a sprint engine for it. He raced it for one season only and it was retired but it was a successful enterprise and it was a shame that it disappeared from public view.

When it came up for sale a few years ago, it was strange that no one managed to link its history.

Hope this helps.

Chris Turner knows a lot more than most about TR7 & 8, so his view is always worth listening to. Don't think it's been mentioned yet but the ACG comm number relates to an 8 valve TR7. Genuine factory Sprints have ACH series numbers.

Nigel

Yes Nigel is quite right, the car originally has a standard 8 valve engne plus of course a 4 speed gearbox. When Chris Conoley had finished, the sprint engine was mated to a 5 speeder; he wanted to dry sump it but was prevented by the TR Reg Championship regs.

Small correction to above: I think it was the 1988 season the car raced in; Chris Conoley's Mass Engineering, for whom Jon Wood briefly worked, is based in Great Gransden... sorry!

None of the N registered press cars were actually used to advertise the TR7,the cars were supposed to be launched in 1975, as demand in the USA was so great the UK launch was postponed. When the car was eventually launched in 1976 all the advertising had photos of P reg cars. The most famous one is GAC 866P, if you check this number you will see it doesn't exist. This is because it is in actual fact GAC 866N with the suffix letter changed to make the car look new. Also the very first factory built prototype Sprint engine cars were in fact early ACG cars converted, the brother of KDU 367N is KDU366N (ACG5), was the car featured in the first Gaydon Sprint photos. It is being restored at the moment ready for its 40th birthday in 2015.I almost bought KDU367N from Arthur Carter(couldn't afford his 240Z) a few years ago but bought another famous TR which I have owned for 8 years now.

Edited by chris turner
  • 1 year later...