Hazard warning switch

I have just installed a new veneered fascia from Rimmer. My problem is, that my hazard warning switch don´t fit in the hole in the fascia (the switch is too big or the hole is too small). Does anybody know if it is possible to buy another type of switch, because I do not want to manipulate the new fascia.

I have just installed a new veneered fascia from Rimmer. My problem is, that my hazard warning switch don´t fit in the hole in the fascia (the switch is too big or the hole is too small). Does anybody know if it is possible to buy another type of switch, because I do not want to manipulate the new fascia.
What size is the hole?

You can alter the fascia without damaging the veneer, provided that you always file or chisel with pressure only from the front, so that the veneer is pressed against the backing. Otherwise the veneer will pick off at the edges of the hole. Use a second-cut file and be careful on the back-stroke.

If the veneer has already been lacquered, you are correct to be concerned, as lacquer is very brittle

and easily cracked, and the cracks spread alarmingly. :o

You still can chisel or file it, but I would drill it only with the greatest care and I would not attempt to open an existing hole by drilling, only by filing.

Let me qualify that: I would open a hole if I were putting screws into it, but before going up a drill size, I would cut the surface with a countersink bit so that the lacquer and the veneer is cut away to a larger diameter than the next drill bit.

If I were drilling a 1/2" hole in a lacquered dash, I would either use a very sharp Jennings bit or precut the circle of veneer with a veneer knife.

As regards switches, plenty here:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...me/homepage.php

and

http://www.vintagemotorspares.com/

Ivor

15eren, I wonder if the switch on your car is the original size, many have been replaced by a model used in MG's which are larger. Beside the wooden dash you will probably also have to file the opening in the metal part underneath. It's rather difficult to find an original switch, because as far as I know, but I'm still eager to learn, these switches were only fitted to european spec early LHD cars. Up to now I only saw U.S cars with the circular switches.

The alternative is to position the switch somewhere else, like the H frame.

What I lately did on a friends TR6, who did want to fit the MG switch, was to replace the wide bezel by a thin one that fits into the opening of the dash. Unfortunately the rocker button comes to sit higher on the dash and not inside, but he did not care ;)

If your switch is original and you aim to keep all original, I'm afraid you will have to follow Ivor's advise :)

Edited by jean
It's rather difficult to find an original switch, because as far as I know, but I'm still eager to learn, these switches were only fitted to european spec early LHD cars.

I don't seem to have a switch myself i.e no hazzards at all - unless someone can tell me otherwise. It's a 1969 UK model. Is this correct?

Mine's a '72 UK car - hazard switch is aftermarket on mine. Sometimes it works, too!

Hi all!

Thanks for reply. Rimmers have now told med, that I have to file out the corners and buy another switch.

Filing out only the corners should be possible without removing the fascia (and all the instruments) :rolleyes:.

The hole is exactly 17 x 36 mm and the corners are very sligthly round.

Tage

The orignal type TR5/250 switch ( don't know how many TR6s used this one, but some did I believe ) was recently available new from MOSS in the U.S. at a terrible price ( $130 if I recall ). Very good quality, fit for concours.

Sounds like the fascia in this case was designed for use with this switch. Later ones were larger :mellow:

So cars before a certain year (UK) didn't need one then?

Mine has passed MOTs without one, so am guessing this is correct.

Hi trfella,

To answer your question, hazard light switches were not fitted to the UK market TR6 until 1973. Then they were the red round pull type with a bulb fitted. European and USA TR250/5 and 6 had a black rectangular rocker switch mounted between the speedo and rev counter until 1972, then they standardised them using the same as the UK TR6s' from 1973 until 1976

Hope this helps,

Regards

Hi trfella,

To answer your question, hazard light switches were not fitted to the UK market TR6 until 1973. Then they were the red round pull type with a bulb fitted. European and USA TR250/5 and 6 had a black rectangular rocker switch mounted between the speedo and rev counter until 1972, then they standardised them using the same as the UK TR6s' from 1973 until 1976

Hope this helps,

Regards

Thanks for that Dave.

This was the earliest car I had seen, with all the others I looked at having the hazzard swich fitted. The PO did inform me that it wasn't a requirement, and I took his word for it as the MOT was fresh.