Brass Overdrive Cap thing

Hi Chaps,

I have been getting a leak from the large brass drain plug thing. I did have a thin metal spanner that i got from one of the suppliers. Wasnt up to much kept slipping off. I thought i had tightened it as far as it would go

Is there a knack to this, or a special tool anyone could recommend or advise

I know Tr mark there territory, but this is a bit excessive and my garage floor is looking like an oil slick.

Thanks

Guy

Hi Chaps,

I have been getting a leak from the large brass drain plug thing. I did have a thin metal spanner that i got from one of the suppliers. Wasnt up to much kept slipping off. I thought i had tightened it as far as it would go

Is there a knack to this, or a special tool anyone could recommend or advise

I know Tr mark there territory, but this is a bit excessive and my garage floor is looking like an oil slick.

Thanks

Guy

unscrew it a bit and wrap some ptfe tape in the gap.

to tighten i use a hammer and a drift.

if the brass plug and the bottom of the odrive casing fall off ?

that last belt with the hammer was a bit toooooo hard.

richard

unscrew it a bit and wrap some ptfe tape in the gap.

to tighten i use a hammer and a drift.

if the brass plug and the bottom of the odrive casing fall off ?

that last belt with the hammer was a bit toooooo hard.

richard

Hi Richard,

Yeah i have some ptfe on the thread, may be i need to hit a bit harder. <_<:blink::blink:

Thanks

Guy

I bought a C spanner, 68/75 mm, part no KEN5805680K for £8.96 + p and p from www.cromwell.co.uk. On the TR4 the chassis gets in the way a bit so I will have to bend the handle of the spanner and add a bit of length to it to get the leverage. I found that using a drift damaged the brass edges.

Rod

I bought a C spanner, 68/75 mm, part no KEN5805680K for £8.96 + p and p from www.cromwell.co.uk. On the TR4 the chassis gets in the way a bit so I will have to bend the handle of the spanner and add a bit of length to it to get the leverage. I found that using a drift damaged the brass edges.

Rod

A bit like using a pair of Stilsons, effective but does chew the edges!! :o Rod that spanner would be the best bet as a socket to fit would be expensive. The liquid PTFE available for air brake line sealant works very well to seal these plugs.

Stuart

I was able to further tighten (2) of these with a plumber's pipe wrench, placing the upper jaw into a slot. No noticeable effect on the health of the brass nut was seen. Neither was leaking to begin with ( cause was elsewhere ) so apparently not much is required to seal these when all's right.

My present leak seems to be coming from the cover plate on the LH side of the O/D unit, either from insufficient gasket or bad O-ring around the operating lever. Drips from this area do make their way to the brass nut.... :mellow:

I was able to further tighten (2) of these with a plumber's pipe wrench, placing the upper jaw into a slot. No noticeable effect on the health of the brass nut was seen. Neither was leaking to begin with ( cause was elsewhere ) so apparently not much is required to seal these when all's right.

My present leak seems to be coming from the cover plate on the LH side of the O/D unit, either from insufficient gasket or bad O-ring around the operating lever. Drips from this area do make their way to the brass nut.... :mellow:

Tom if you decide to replace the "O" ring make sure you get exactly the correct size otherwise it will cause drag on the operating lever and give disengagment problems.(another one of those dont ask me how I know that moments :(;) )

Stuart.