Hi Everybody

Has anyone got any more information on the TR3 BETA grill? - NOT THE TR3B grill which is the same as the TR3A.

In Bill Piggott's book "TRIUMPH BY NAME TRIUMPH BY NATURE" on page 23 is a superb frontal picture of a TR3 BETA, and this grill looks ideal for us chaps in hot climates to increase the air flow.

(Bill P. this includes you too please, if you are reading this enquiry!)

What I am looking for are dimensions and fixing arrangements, and if it can be modified to accept the parking/direction lights as these could not be fitted on the standard TR3A wings, the BETA wings being more bulbous to suit the wider track of the BETA.

I do not expect to be able to buy one of these grills, but maybe I can fabricate one up from drawings.

Thanks

Dave

Hello again:

I just sent a pm to you. Pls, check your "New Messages" box (upper right-hand side of website).

Dave-

If you are still in the hunt for a beta-like grill, in the U.S. they had an aftermarket tube grill that is similar and shows up once in a while on ebay. I believe it was made by Amco. Here is a picture of one in action

IMG_0230.jpg

Regards,

Randy

Hi Dave,

I doubt if factory drawings exist for this. For prototypes, the factory would

typically make something up based on an existing production part but

would not produce drawings unless there was some possibility of production.

The rally TR4 wing vents are a perfect example.

What I do have is an original factory B&W negative of the Beta, front end

first, that would give an even better idea than the photo in the Pigg's book.

If you are serious about copying this grille and would like a 'full frontal'(and

give me a few days) I should be able to scan the negative to a pdf file, say

300% actual size, and email it to you.

PM me with your email address if you are interested.

AlanR

I have scanned this negative, converted to positive, emailed it to

Dave and can email it to anyone else who is interested.

PM me with your email address if you are interested - image size

is too large to post here.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100
Dave-

If you are still in the hunt for a beta-like grill, in the U.S. they had an aftermarket tube grill that is similar and shows up once in a while on ebay. I believe it was made by Amco. Here is a picture of one in action

IMG_0230.jpg

Regards,

Randy

Hi Randy Greetings from Spain

Thanks for the info and picture you have gone to great lengths to help me with, it is greatly appreciated.

However the grill in the picture bears no similarity to that shown in Bill Piggott's book and Alan's photos which do bear out Bill Piggott's info.

Clearly the Amco one has either 5 or 6 horizontal bars where the authentic photos clearly show only 3.

If I am to reproduce the grill, then it must be accurate in the number of horizontals and verticals or it is not worth the effort or expense. I agree, obviously my one would have to differ from the original in that the indicator lights will have to be mounted in the grill as per a standard TR3A as they could not be mounted in the wings or fenders as you would call them.

However let me once again thank you for your splendid efforts.

Lets all keep Tr-ing ad enjoy our following of the marque.

Dave

Dave

• 2 years later...

I doubt this helps with the discussion, but I thought it might be of interest to those tracking the whereabouts of our TRs.

Attached are two photos I took in 2009 at the Bodensee Klassik in Germany. This appears to be a Beta in poor condition, but apparently roadworthy, registered as a vintage car in Germany (south of Munich, in fact). It was parked in the visitors' garage at the classic car, boat, and aircraft show. It has a regular 3A grill, with two odd little marker lights added.

Does anyone knownif this is could be a real Beta?

Cheers,

TR (yes, those are my initials...)

post-10502-0-20018500-1318948181_thumb.jpg

post-10502-0-41340000-1318948190_thumb.jpg

post-10502-0-20018500-1318948181_thumb.jpg

post-10502-0-41340000-1318948190_thumb.jpg