Cadwell Park Track day

I've been suffering this year without seeing any track action due to the sad loss of the Mallory Park track day :( , and I thought I'd give the Nordschlieffe a miss this year, however I am intrigued by a Classic track day at Cadwell (http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/trackdays/event-details.asp?ProductID=4348#).

Never having visited Cadwell,

1) can anyone recommend this venue?

2) are any other TR's going?

3) can anyone recommend a B&B in the area?

Cheers,

Jerry

I've been suffering this year without seeing any track action due to the sad loss of the Mallory Park track day :( , and I thought I'd give the Nordschlieffe a miss this year, however I am intrigued by a Classic track day at Cadwell (http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/trackdays/event-details.asp?ProductID=4348#).

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry

I know how you feel, so I got it out of my system and did Goodwood last weekend, very fast track.

Cadwell Park is great if a little twisty for us, unfortunatly I can't make it as I'm off to Angoulême that week. Should be a good day though as the crew arranging it also run Snetterton which I have also done several times and its always well organised. Enjoy!

Don't forget to post some pics :lol::lol:

Cheers,

Jerry

Hi Jerry

I will recommend it Cadwell is set in a lovely woodland surrounding, very testing at that time of year if the leaves get blown off early it can be very interesting. B&B the nearest place for choice is Louth. I might have a go at this is anybody else?

Regards

Neil

Neil

Certainly tempted! Never taken my car on a track day...

Rgds

Hi Ian/Jerry

The good lady is booking this for me tomorrow. We live approximately 1.5 hrs drive from the circuit.PM me with regard to accommodation if going

Regards

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Right I've mentioned this before and I've been doing a bit of bartering on behalf of the Register with Nick Rice (the organiser) and he's said if I can get at least 10 cars to go he give the members of the register 10% discount from the whole cost of day, i.e. cost of additional drivers, helmet hire etc...

One point to note anyone in an open top car must wear a full face helmet these are available to hire for £10.

Its a fairly new concept and he's trying to increase the classic side of it and really after some support and what could be more fun than getting the cars out and seeing what they can do. Would be great to see some of the cars I've been reading about on the forum too.

For more information about the day see http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/trackday...?ProductID=4348

Cheers

ntc

Cadwell! The Nurburgring of England!

You missed an excellent race meeting there, last weekend, with some sterling Triumph participants, including (ahem!) myself.

It is my favourite UK track, with an extraordinary variety of elevation, gradient, camber and corner to contend with. It is also one of the narrowest circuits with many corners that have minimal run-off, but that makes it far more alike to driving a real road than any other circuit, including the 'Ring! I would enjoy a Cadwell track day more than say, Silverstone, and Mallory is dull in comparison. Go for it!

Can't find a video of Triumphs at Cadwell, except for bikes, so here's a good one of Peugots giving it some: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1fB5WsqLvMc

John

"Seemingly a million miles from anywhere, Cadwell Park nestles in the Lincolnshire Wolds between Louth and Horncastle. Dubbed 'the mini Nuburgring' due to its undulating and twisty nature, this circuit is very different from your regular airfield track. ... a dizzying variety of corners and gradients which offer a truely unique challenge." Hillclimbing and Sprinting, Phil Short and Steve Wilkinson, 2007

'Nuff said.

Well I'm doing it :blink: The last time I drove on this circuit was in a rally car a long time ago and the stage was run backwards yep down the mountain that was interesting so some tips from JRD and Jellison would be most welcome.

Regards

Neil

Yikes! I am promoted to guru status!

AH, think well, Little Grasshopper, for much anticipation means little enjoyment.

Cadwell? ER......

Coppice, left, uphill, after the start finish straight, can be taken flat, but build up to it.

Charlies, next corner, is double apexed, take a wide entry.

Gooseneck, somehow they've done something to it - it's not as hard as it used to be, but make sure you're straight before you accelerate again.

Hall Bends - go into the first with only a lift, THEN brake before the next.

Hairpin, the right angle right at the end of Hall must be apexed late, or you run out of road and visit the very closeby Armco.

Good luck!

John

Yikes! I am promoted to guru status!

AH, think well, Little Grasshopper, for much anticipation means little enjoyment.

Cadwell? ER......

Coppice, left, uphill, after the start finish straight, can be taken flat, but build up to it.

Charlies, next corner, is double apexed, take a wide entry.

Gooseneck, somehow they've done something to it - it's not as hard as it used to be, but make sure you're straight before you accelerate again.

Hall Bends - go into the first with only a lift, THEN brake before the next.

Hairpin, the right angle right at the end of Hall must be apexed late, or you run out of road and visit the very closeby Armco.

Good luck!

John

Many thanks o wise one :P I only do sideways so going straight will make a change

Well I'm doing it :blink: The last time I drove on this circuit was in a rally car a long time ago and the stage was run backwards yep down the mountain that was interesting so some tips from JRD and Jellison would be most welcome.

Regards

Neil

No Really you do not want any tips from me - last time there (never again - too many other track and in the middle of no way for us!) I crashed at Park. I was really pushing in torrrentail rain from the back though.

You will be fine, my tip brake early for Park and accelerated through the apex.

Very slippery into the twisty bit after the mountain.

ENJOY.

Hello all

Just got back, what a tremendous day! Totally professionally organised, nice to meet up with Jerry with one very quick TR5!

Only 10 cars ran the track so fantastic time, the ten included 2 RS1800 BDAs, a TR7 etc... Plus a tremendous collection of classic bikes including a Triumph!

Last pic is a proud Dad navigating the Daughter having her first drive on a circuit and first time driving a TR...and whooping an MGB! :lol:

The others I thought might be of interest to a few to you.

Now required 2 Rear hubs as one let go 1 session from the end! :( I think, will let you know!

All in all a brilliant event and we should get together and have a look at this as a group event in the future.

Regards,

Neil

p.s. Thanks JR and Jellison I did a nice 360 going into the Mountain!!!! :lol:

Edited by ntc
Excellent!

Good pics, thanks for posting them.

Have you got the bug? Betcha racing in three years!

John

Hi John,

I'm the daughter! and after a fab day I learnt when seeing the bottom of the mountain a couple of times when Dad spun I realised that he still thinks he's in his rally car at Cadwell but forgot the TR doesn't have a limited slip dif!

Fingers crossed that will be the winter project! ;)

Emma

Edited by Emoes

Agree with everything Neil and Emma have said and nice to meet you all. Hope the 6 is easily fixed.

You were right Neil, you can take Coppice at full chat right the way up the hill and round to Charlies. I only had the b*lls to do it on the penultimate lap though :o

I got down to 2:04 at one point, but mostly I was doing around 2:06. Had a good dice in the last session with the red 240Z trying to keep up. He was quicker on the straights but I had him from Mansfield through Barn. Awesome. Never did get the Gooseneck quite right though.

This is a fantastic circuit for our cars - we'll have to encourage the Register to link up with MSV for a Triumph day.

See you next time.

Jerry

Jerry, Neil,

delighted you had fun!!

Just to give you a bogey time, at the CSCC Swinging 60s race on the 7th Sept. the TR drivers did thusly:

Mark Campbell TR5, 1:42 (and 1st place!)

Malcolm Turnbull TR6, 1:46 (but DNF)

You may feel that my own time, in the RAFMSA race and my 2500 Vitesse, is more real world for you; 1:56.

Best wishes,

John

Jerry, Neil,

delighted you had fun!!

Just to give you a bogey time, at the CSCC Swinging 60s race on the 7th Sept. the TR drivers did thusly:

Mark Campbell TR5, 1:42 (and 1st place!)

Malcolm Turnbull TR6, 1:46 (but DNF)

You may feel that my own time, in the RAFMSA race and my 2500 Vitesse, is more real world for you; 1:56.

Best wishes,

John

Next year hopefully I'll have a run Against Mark Campbell in the Ex- Hendo 5.

One think I forgot to tell you IS - "DON'T TAKE A TR4A, 5 OR 6 ANYWHERE NEAR A TRACK IF PUSHING HARD, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE STICKY TYRES - WITHOUT STEEL REAR HUBS.

IT CAN KILL YOU. IF THEY GO AT WHEN LOADED UP IN A FAST BEND WITH NO CAGE YOU AND A PASSENGER COULD BE A GONNA IN THE FOLLOWING HUGE ROLL".

Don't wish to be a kill joy, but no way I would go near a track in any of those 3 types of trailing arm TR's with out steel hubs.

and this gut did not seem to be pushing THAT Hard. (4A).

Neil you were Lucky with the hub going. First thing we did when our car (fast road spec with a cage basically in the TR6) was going to be raced was get the hubs. They are huge Bucks but I do not want the die just yet.