Martins Fuel Injection

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I used to see ad's for Martins Fuel Injection in TR Action and around 1981-ish I drove my 72 TR6 from Geneva to Martin's shop where he rebuilt the engine and tranny, fitted a Bosch pump and fixed a liitle problem due to someone running a key down the side of the car 3 days after its new (Saffron) paint, and this was in the company parking garage !. When I picked up the car, Martin gave me a nice watercolor painting of my car (I think it was a generic TR6 sketch that was painted in with the appropriate color and then personalised). I still have that painting. I was just curious to know what happend to Martin and his business.

Stan

Hi Stan,

You're bringing back happy memories. My last dealing with Martin was at the International TR weekend in August 1985 at Malvern when he fitted a Bosch pump to my TR for the princely sum of £87.40 including labour. I'm not sure what happened to Martin after that however his pump is still going strong located in the old Lucas pump position, still with the CAV filter, standard bore inlet and standard wiring all of which seem to give everyone so much grief nowadays. He obviously knew his injection!

cheers

Derek

• 2 years later...

Hi Stan

That certainly was many moons ago.

I remember your car and I carried out most of the work on it including building the engine.

Don't know what happened to Martin as we fell out and lost touch many years ago.

Do you still have the car and is the engine still running good, I put a lot of my own time into building those engines and to date know of only one other unit that I built & that still runs as sweet today as the day it was fitted.

Derek

Those Bosch pump conversions were the best mod ever for the old Lucas system & credit where it's due Martin was very instrumental in perfecting the conversion and making it reliable, in fact we used to rebuild and set all the PRV's in the workshop at Thaxted.

Only found this thread after a random search on Google so thanks for bringing back some old but good memories.

Malc

Hi Stan

That certainly was many moons ago.

I remember your car and I carried out most of the work on it including building the engine.

Don't know what happened to Martin as we fell out and lost touch many years ago.

Do you still have the car and is the engine still running good, I put a lot of my own time into building those engines and to date know of only one other unit that I built & that still runs as sweet today as the day it was fitted.

Derek

Those Bosch pump conversions were the best mod ever for the old Lucas system & credit where it's due Martin was very instrumental in perfecting the conversion and making it reliable, in fact we used to rebuild and set all the PRV's in the workshop at Thaxted.

Only found this thread after a random search on Google so thanks for bringing back some old but good memories.

Malc

Malc, thanks for stopping by and for the info. I moved back to the UK briefly from 1983 to 1986 and regrettably had to sell that car (UK reg PTJ 274L) before we moved again to the USA. According to the UK car registration database it disappeared in 1988 and Derek tells me it was never seen again in his register so I'm afraid it was hit or stolen or abandoned. It broke my heart to have to sell it but my wife had another one in storage in the US (near basket case, slowly brought back from the dead over the last 20+ years) and that is the car we are have now.

Stan

Malc, thanks for stopping by and for the info. I moved back to the UK briefly from 1983 to 1986 and regrettably had to sell that car (UK reg PTJ 274L) before we moved again to the USA. According to the UK car registration database it disappeared in 1988 and Derek tells me it was never seen again in his register so I'm afraid it was hit or stolen or abandoned. It broke my heart to have to sell it but my wife had another one in storage in the US (near basket case, slowly brought back from the dead over the last 20+ years) and that is the car we are have now.

Stan

Stan someone must have updated the cars V5 registration document to new V5c within the last few years otherwise it wouldn't be on DVLA site now so either someone has just kept the identity up or its still sitting in someone`s garage somewhere waiting for resto.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Just noticed this thread. In the history file for my car there are invoices for body work done by Martins Fuel Injection back in 1989. Their address then was Unit 6B, Parsonage Farm Industrial Estate, Stansted, Essex.

There still appear to be a couple of body shops on that estate but Martins seems to be long gone.

I used Martin's Fuel Injection back in the early 80s to replace the fuel pump and metering unit on my both my TR6s with standard Lucas units - he worked out of his domestic garage then. He obviously knew his stuff, but as I remember could be rather grumpy for the most part – or maybe it was just with me?! :unsure:

Cheers

Andrew