Help please.

I removed and replaced the half shafts as I had diff problems. Problem now is that the setup for the handbrake and hydraulic pipes seems wrong.

I assume that I've put the shafts in out of square if that makes sense. i.e the drum has rotated too far one way or the other.

When looking at the drum what position should the handbrake lever be?

The only way to get the h/brake cable to fit the o/s is to have the lever as shown in the pic. Anywhere more vertical and the cable rubs on the check strap.

Looking at the manual the picture seems to suggest the lever is vertical yet the drawings I've seen suggest it is horizontal at the 12 o'clock position.

Should the cables go outside or inside the check straps. Have I put the the half shafts back on the wrong sides? :angry:

Do I wish I'd taken a photo first? :P

post-2226-1219343704_thumb.jpg post-2226-1219343835_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Steve

post-2226-1219343704_thumb.jpg

post-2226-1219343835_thumb.jpg

Steve

The handbrake cables should be "behind" the metal check straps ( hoops ) the boot side with the cable horizontal going from the compensator to the back plates.

Looking inwards to the car the cable is at the nine o'clock position.

The lever is neither horizontal or vertical.magine the brake shoe ends, (split by the adjuster one side and the wheel brake cylinder the other ) being at 2 o'clock and eight o'clock , again when viewed looking inwards towards the differential.

I think you have realised what has happened already.If things don't look right on a TR ,it usually means it's not.

I'd like a pound for every time I got it wrong first time on my restoration.

I haven't got a digital photo but will send a photo copy of pictures of nearside and offside with body off the car, if that woud help ?

Best of luck with that

Bob

Steve

The handbrake cables should be "behind" the metal check straps ( hoops ) the boot side with the cable horizontal going from the compensator to the back plates.

Looking inwards to the car the cable is at the nine o'clock position.

The lever is neither horizontal or vertical.magine the brake shoe ends, (split by the adjuster one side and the wheel brake cylinder the other ) being at 2 o'clock and eight o'clock , again when viewed looking inwards towards the differential.

I think you have realised what has happened already.If things don't look right on a TR ,it usually means it's not.

I'd like a pound for every time I got it wrong first time on my restoration.

I haven't got a digital photo but will send a photo copy of pictures of nearside and offside with body off the car, if that woud help ?

Best of luck with that

Bob

Bob

Sent you a PM

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

I realise your main query is the hand brake, but in your first picture I can see what appears to be a copper brake pipe in mid air going round the outside of the check hoop. This is a serious no no. The brake pipe will vibrate, work harden and eventually fracture. Even if it is not copper it is very bad practice. The pipe should be routed along the axle, inside the hoop but obviously not so it will be pinched by the extremes of axle travel. The pipe should also be secured as much as possible and should not be able to vibrate or shake about - every six inches would be nice.

Nick

Edited by Nick Webster
Steve,

I realise your main query is the hand brake, but in your first picture I can see what appears to be a copper brake pipe in mid air going round the outside of the check hoop. This is a serious no no. The brake pipe will vibrate, work harden and eventually fracture. Even if it is not copper it is very bad practice. The pipe should be routed along the axle, inside the hoop but obviously not so it will be pinched by the extremes of axle travel. The pipe should also be secured as much as possible and should not be able to vibrate or shake about - every six inches would be nice.

Nick

Nick

I agree, it only went that way because the shafts are in the wrong alignment. Hopefully it will be a lot tidier tomorrow

Cheers

Steve