TR7 Owners buck the trend

Our hon.chairman Graham Robson made an interesting speech at the AGM.  Part of it involved the inevitable ageing of classic car clubs' memberships.

A while back Martin Thomas ran an age poll in the main forum.  Although this is now gone it unsurprisingly proved that the average Register member isn't as young as he/she used to be.

The TR7 is our trump card here.  Still cheap to buy,practical to use and a head-turner on the road (especially in DHC form).

So let's have a quick poll - TR7/8 Owners only this time please - and see ...........

I also recon on getting in touch with the office to see if they can do us a car/age profile as I can't with my database

:(

Malcolm.

Mind you when you get that old you do get to have a dodgy taste in shirts.......

Funny that Jim.  I've noticed that too - do you think taste really deteriorates with age?  Surely we would all be selling up and buying TR6s  :P

tastefulshirt.JPG

Malcolm.

Guest john wood
19 years old in 1984 when i bought my first one, a rusty 1977 model, the insurance for me back then was £420 TPF&T, most my mates were driving their mothers metro. I was taking home £65 a week and putting £40 in the tank because I could'nt stop driving it as it fell apart beneath me. Replaced in 1986 as my career progressed with a 1981 model that was mint. Have owned 8 TR7s over the past 19 years 5 DHC + 3 FHC, been without one for a few months but will be purchasing number 9 when found (anyone selling a Triton Green DHC in V/good condition). If so mail me on johnwood3@aol.com

Interesting this.  I was also rather younger (21) when I bought my original Triton green DHC.  So where are the younger members now?  I'd have though we would find them here on the Internet if anywhere??

Malcolm.

Guest Chris Draper

Seems to me that the current age of most "7" drivers means that the 7 was available new when they were young - for example a 30 year old would have been 9 in 1982 while a 45 year old would have been 24.

Certainly applies to me - I bought my first in 1985 when I was 21, a rather well rusted red FHC which lasted 16 months before I wrote it off in the rain...

Always had a hankering for the DHC though, particularly with a V8 & eventually got a Poseidon Green one in 1999 which receives lots of care & attention, not to mention the folding stuff.

My thought is that younger drivers are more interested in the vehicles of the day (Imprezza's being a fair example at present) and classics are much more appreciated by a slightly more mature individual (although not necessarily in terms of mental age of course, mine being anywhere between 4 and 22 depending on the day...).

I think you are right Chris.  Though this logic does still suggest that TR7 owners will be statistically the youngest in the Register.

It is also a point that young drivers' car insurance costs are so high now that few under 21s are likely to be able to afford to run a TR7 (let alone an Imprezza or Evo 6)  :(

Malcolm.

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered when someone would notice.  Nice job on S&S' site by the way.  I noticed that a certain Richard Connew is technical director of the company responsible for the video updates!

(That nice enough?)

Malcolm.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest trminator

Maxwell

That's why we have to take time to encourage the next generation by talking to them about our cars, bringing them for runs (with their parents permission) and generally sewing the seeds for the future.  Which brings me to an idea Wendy had come up with months and months ago.  Junior membership.  A cracking idea, an intelligent and willing person to look after the administration of it and......nothing.  But some months ago the TR Drivers club started a junior scheme.  Come on TR Register hierarchy, you can't all follow the "Phil Biggot" (yes, I'm still pi**ed off about that article!) philosophy of "selection" of members so why the complaceny?  We are in a depreciating market and need to do all possible to gain new membership if we are to thrive now that the TSSC have expanded their horizons.

- Kyle.

• 1 month later...
Guest Churchill

I test drove a battered old green FHC when I was 21, I opened the sunroof on the road leaving the garage. Five miles later, I shut the sunroof, trapped my hair in it, almost scalped myself and lost control of the car.

10 years later when I'd recovered from the experience, I bought a DHC.

Read and learn youths!

:D

• 1 month later...
I remember TR7's when I was quite young and I used to think they were the 'ultimate' car!! :blush: Had a Revell model one when about 6 'ish. Have now got a real one - '81 dhc, can't wait to use it properly (don't like ready salted cars)
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought my 1st car as a student in 1985 aged 20. It was a speke built TR7 FHC  VGP849R in red with full length webasto roof ( as my mum said convenient for my girlfriends stilletoes), with red check interior. Not many other students had such an "interesting" car. Blew the engine on the A34 slip road of the M4 at the end of term, still owe my dad half the cost of the rebuild. Sold it on a whim as it fell apart around me so p/ex for a MK4 2.0 Cortina Ghia.

Had my second 7 aged 27 which was a navy blue DHC 3.5 PNM66W which went like a scolded cat. Traded a Lancia Gamma Coupe in for it down in Kent. The car was absolutely brilliant, only sold her to reduce the negative equity in a house move.

Current & 3rd 7 is a 4.6 DHC in Midas Gold, bought aged 39........... 250 bhp of heaven.