red light staying on

hi

after returning from malvern i have noticed the ignition light staying on

when the ignition is switched of, when applying the lights the amp meter does not move

only when you turn the car over then the amp meter shows a discharge

any ideas before i start trowing bits away

pinky

hi

when the ignition is switched of, when applying the lights the amp meter does not move

pinky

Pinky,

I had similar problem after installing a MSD electronic ignition which will run on very low voltage. That leaked to this unit via the ignition lamp and so the engine could not be turned off with the ignition key.

Solution provide in the installation kit was a diode fitted between the lamp and its power lead.

Stan

Pinky,

I had similar problem after installing a MSD electronic ignition which will run on very low voltage. That leaked to this unit via the ignition lamp and so the engine could not be turned off with the ignition key.

Solution provide in the installation kit was a diode fitted between the lamp and its power lead.

Stan

hi Stan,

i can turn the engine of no prob in fact every thing is working fine just the symptoms

pinky

hi Stan,

i can turn the engine of no prob in fact every thing is working fine just the symptoms

pinky

Pinky

Have you checked the alternator is charging, ie voltage across the battery when running should be 13..14.5 volts, check also all connections into the alternator are intact and ok.

Also check battery with engine off and water level.

Cheers

Guy

Also member of the Numpty TB s

Edited by Jersey Royal
hi Stan,

pinky

Pinky,

I just remembered that I also accidentally shorted the spare connector on the back of the ignition switch

and it was then that my symptom started. Must have damaged the ignition switch!

Stan

hi

pinky

Hi

Writing this away from my workshop manual - but I'm sure back in the 80's I had the same problem - with a Lucas ACR15 alternator. In that there is a full wave rectifier (6 diodes) that generate the DC to actually charge the battery, and a separate half-wave rectifier (3 diodes in a single 4 pin package) that is used for the ignition warning light. I'd guess when you say the car works fine, the main diodes are OK. But one of the diodes in the half wave rectifier will have failed meaning that the battery is finding a path through the ignition warning light and the field windings back to the negative battery terminal. All you need is a new diode module which I recall wasn't very difficult to fit. Cost me a couple of quid back then from an auto electricians.