New member with a question

Hi all,

I am a new member just bought a TR7 DHC Carnelian red and only one small patch of welding 1" square on the whole car so happy as paid not a lot for it 55k on the clock. I bought my first TR7 12 years ago, an expensive good looking patchwork quilt (i.e. tarted up rot box). I then decided to buy another good shell (needing minor welding and an auto) and tranplant the parts. With a house build and working never got time, so last month the wife how much it would cost to make a good car so gave her a figure. Divorce was mentioned and she said how much for s good runner I said about £2k, she get one and sell any parts you don't want!!! Wow!! I love my wife. So I now have a TR7 with all MOT's from new and less rust than my 4 year old eurocrap and for just over half the price I told the wife.

Well any way questions:

1, Will 15" MGF alloy wheels fit without any mods (i.e. spacers) and what wheel nuts to use and prefered tyre size (185etc).

2, How the **** do you get it to idle properly, balanced the carbs using my ear and gunsons carb balancer. Set the mixture with colourtune and it idles more like a rabbit (if you get the analogy).

All the best

Hi all,

I am a new member just bought a TR7 DHC Carnelian red and only one small patch of welding 1" square on the whole car so happy as paid not a lot for it 55k on the clock. I bought my first TR7 12 years ago, an expensive good looking patchwork quilt (i.e. tarted up rot box). I then decided to buy another good shell (needing minor welding and an auto) and tranplant the parts. With a house build and working never got time, so last month the wife how much it would cost to make a good car so gave her a figure. Divorce was mentioned and she said how much for s good runner I said about £2k, she get one and sell any parts you don't want!!! Wow!! I love my wife. So I now have a TR7 with all MOT's from new and less rust than my 4 year old eurocrap and for just over half the price I told the wife.

Well any way questions:

1, Will 15" MGF alloy wheels fit without any mods (i.e. spacers) and what wheel nuts to use and prefered tyre size (185etc).

2, How the **** do you get it to idle properly, balanced the carbs using my ear and gunsons carb balancer. Set the mixture with colourtune and it idles more like a rabbit (if you get the analogy).

All the best

Yes, MGF wheels and tyres do fit. THe minilite style ones look particularly good, if I was any good with bloody computors I'd attach a picture of my white FHC with them on! The rears come with 205's and the fronts 185's. Just bought another set for my blue DHC, got them from a chap in Glossop who breaks MGF's on an amateur basis. He did me both sets for £230, 5 wheels and nearly-new tyres! Try him on 07887 760113, names Darren. He even delivered the second set to me at work in Lichfield as he gets around the country a bit with his air-conditioning business!

As to nuts, I just used the set that came off and they seem perfectly ok.You can get a set with Triumph logos on for £30 off e-bay.

The MG logos on the wheels upset a few people though, but you can get stick-ons to cover them.

All the best

If you are happy the carbs are now set-up correctly, I guess you should now look at the igintion side of the engine. e.g. Check the dizzy cap, roto-arm and condensor. Make sure the HT leads have not gone high resistance. If you use the colour tune in each cylinder it should help to pip point where the igintion problems are. Then there is of course the timing, check both the static and the dymanic. If I remember this should be 10 deg BTDC.

You don't mention the year, but if its a late model it may have waxstats (I think that is the correct spelling) which can cause problems with very uneven tickover. I am replacing mine with fixed jets to solve the problem and to avoid the risk of damaging the engine

Good Luck

Howard

All the best

If you are happy the carbs are now set-up correctly, I guess you should now look at the igintion side of the engine. e.g. Check the dizzy cap, roto-arm and condensor. Make sure the HT leads have not gone high resistance. If you use the colour tune in each cylinder it should help to pip point where the igintion problems are. Then there is of course the timing, check both the static and the dymanic. If I remember this should be 10 deg BTDC.

It may be the waxstat jets as I had a similar problem on the wifes Spitfire a few years ago.

It is a 1981 registered, 2 ltr Canley build DHC. I have changed the points rotoe arm dizzy cap but haven't checked the timing. On the go it runs fine but it is just the idle that is annoying me.

Thank you very much for your comments it is very much appreciated.

Gareth