1973 tr6 uye760m

Guest CJTTR6

Anyone know the whereabouts of a 1973 TR6 UYE760M?

It was sold against my better judgement in 1992 to a chap who lived in a village called Ranton just outside Stafford - but I can't remember his name!

I bought it from TR Bitz - when they were still at High Legh Filling Station - in 1982 for £2250. I'd actually gone up there to look at a Lotus Europa, but when I heard that gorgeous roar of a TR6 being started I became hooked for life and suddenly forgot about the Europa.

I was only 22 at the time and all my friends who had Metros and Fiestas thought I was nuts to have a car which I could just about afford the insurance on!

When marriage came along, I steadfastly refused to consider selling it. We would just put a smaller deposit down on the house instead!

The turning point came when the first nipper made his noisy entry into the world and even I realised that a 2 seater was not the most practical family car. So it was sold to this chap near Stafford, at the time it needed a bit of fettling and TLC.

Incidentally, I had returned to driving God's own cars again in 1998 when I purchased my beautiful 1963 TR4.

But my "6" will always hold a special place in my heart. I spent a fortune on it and was in it that I did alot of my courting. I even met the present Mrs Dykins in it - but I'm not one to bear grudges.

So does anyone know the whereabouts of UYE760M?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chris

No, on both counts I'm afraid.

It was a geniune UK RHD car. It left me with it's full history from it's original purchase. It spent most of it's life in Essex, with an owner called - if I remember rightly - Eaglesham. This guy spent a fortune on the car, and came to me with 2 box files of reciepts/service data/history

The car was originally Mimosa, but sometime soon afterwards was resprayed Pimento Red. In my ownership it had a body off chassis restoration and again was finished in red.

To show how sad I am, I found the village "Ranton" near Stafford a couple of weeks ago, and drove to it. I was amazed that the locals in that small sleepy Staffordhire village didn't ring the police about this guy slowly cruising around looking up driveways!

I think that I've got it bad. can anyone recommend a psychiatrist?

• 7 years later...

Hi Peter,

Flicking through Youtube for other TR6 related stuff, I came across your old TR6 - I thought I recognized the registration so did a Forum search and 'Bingo'!

I’m guessing you put the video up in your search for UYE 760M – did you meet the guy who said he bought it in Montrose, or was he a bluffer?

Nice bit of retro stuff – nice glasses, nice legs and nice car!

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Yes, I'm guilty of putting that film on to Youtube. :)

Haven't seen or heard of it since I was advised that it had been bought recently. Worryingly, the new owner does not have appeared to joined the club either. :(

Having said that, I'm not too sure that I'd want to see the car again though - you know how you tend to think of old girlfiends still being how they were decades ago - lovely slim and pert - , then you see them nowadays and think disappointingly "Phew, that was close". (Mind you, they would probably think the same of me too!)

Glad you liked my sunglasses and legs - I assume you are referring to mine! ;)

Regards

Peter

Peter,

So the guy from Montrose was a bluffer then! :angry:

I know what you mean about revisiting the past - I bumped into an old girlfriend recently, she reminded me of the BMW Mini! :D

As for the sunglasses and legs............I haven't seen your legs! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

Peter,

I'm afraid that there are no details in the Register records not even from when you owned it however in my "unknown TR6" files I made a note of it for sale in the November 2005 edition of Classic & Sportscar and I also spotted it for sale on ebay in August this year.

If you have any details they would be much appreciated especially the commission number so that I can delete UYE 760M from the other circa 660 sitting there.

cheers

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

By pure chance I have located the whereabouts of this 6. My son was driving through Cumbria when he chanced upon a Frogeye sitting on a garage forecourt. He engaged the owner, who is standing in for the proprietor, in classic car-type conversation. Said chap duly informed Tom that he has, among two or three other classics, the TR6 reg. UYE 760M.

He has since confirmed that he bought it in Montrose, and that he might sell it on, or improve it slightly and keep it for a trip to the Monza GP next year. I have seen pictures of the car this week and it looks to be in goodish nick - it is now pimento red. The new owner has, I gather, joined the register and seems tickled pink with the TR.

I'll Email him (his name is Eric Ritchie) and ask him if he'll post more info on the Forum.

Cheers,

Tim.

Hi Peter,

Good News, Huey is alive and well and living in de-humidified luxury in Brampton, Cumbria.

I bought the car in Montrose a couple of months ago (co-incidentally the place of my birth 60 years ago!) and only now, am I getting around to registering it with the TR club. I haven't yet completed the full registration of Huey, as the log book is in Cumbria and I am in Liverpool.

Like you, I am hooked on the car. My eldest brother and I went for a test drive late one evening in early September. We fired the car up, looked at each other and broke into ear to ear grins. I drove it through the Mersey tunnel and described it like a WW2 Spitfire on full attack. I have never driven a car with such a sound. We were out marshalling on the Roger Albert Clark rally last weekend and even the sound of the Stratos in the snow of Keilder was struggling to eclipse Huey. Since September I have done a few hundred adrenalin fuelled miles in the car, before only recently parking it up for the Winter.

My initial intentions were to remove everything and bare metal spray the tub. I already own a Froggie and various other projects which I have been working on over the past year. My lifetime friend who owns the garage in Brampton had a horrendous accident just over a year ago and having been made redundant, I travelled up to look after the garage whilst he recovered in hospital. A year later and I am still there indulging in my passion for restoring classic British cars. I have just finished my web site and that will tell you a little bit of what I am about. I hope you don't mind but I have linked your fantastic You Tube clip into my spiel about Huey. Level 42 seems to be somehow just right for the car, the clip and the nostalgia of your video.

I can be found on www.ericneilritchie.co.uk

As I have said, my thoughts are really still to return Huey to "concours" condition as it is such a great basis to start from. Yes there is rust patches on the panels, but they are largely surface rust. The car is structurally sound and the excellent basis for a full rebuild. One of the reasons that the man in Montrose sold the car is that he lost his garage and the car was parked in the street. The interior needs re-upholstering, but when you have the top down and are blasting along with the incredible sound of these exhausts, who is looking at the carpets! If I do fully resore Huey, my son and I plan to drive it to Monza for the 2011 Grand Prix.

I assure you that Huey is much admired and is a credit to all who have looked after him so well in his former life.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Eric Ritchie.

Hi Peter,

Good News, Huey is alive and well and living in de-humidified luxury in Brampton, Cumbria.

I bought the car in Montrose a couple of months ago (co-incidentally the place of my birth 60 years ago!) and only now, am I getting around to registering it with the TR club. I haven't yet completed the full registration of Huey, as the log book is in Cumbria and I am in Liverpool.

Like you, I am hooked on the car. My eldest brother and I went for a test drive late one evening in early September. We fired the car up, looked at each other and broke into ear to ear grins. I drove it through the Mersey tunnel and described it like a WW2 Spitfire on full attack. I have never driven a car with such a sound. We were out marshalling on the Roger Albert Clark rally last weekend and even the sound of the Stratos in the snow of Keilder was struggling to eclipse Huey. Since September I have done a few hundred adrenalin fuelled miles in the car, before only recently parking it up for the Winter.

My initial intentions were to remove everything and bare metal spray the tub. I already own a Froggie and various other projects which I have been working on over the past year. My lifetime friend who owns the garage in Brampton had a horrendous accident just over a year ago and having been made redundant, I travelled up to look after the garage whilst he recovered in hospital. A year later and I am still there indulging in my passion for restoring classic British cars. I have just finished my web site and that will tell you a little bit of what I am about. I hope you don't mind but I have linked your fantastic You Tube clip into my spiel about Huey. Level 42 seems to be somehow just right for the car, the clip and the nostalgia of your video.

I can be found on www.ericneilritchie.co.uk

As I have said, my thoughts are really still to return Huey to "concours" condition as it is such a great basis to start from. Yes there is rust patches on the panels, but they are largely surface rust. The car is structurally sound and the excellent basis for a full rebuild. One of the reasons that the man in Montrose sold the car is that he lost his garage and the car was parked in the street. The interior needs re-upholstering, but when you have the top down and are blasting along with the incredible sound of these exhausts, who is looking at the carpets! If I do fully resore Huey, my son and I plan to drive it to Monza for the 2011 Grand Prix.

I assure you that Huey is much admired and is a credit to all who have looked after him so well in his former life.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Eric Ritchie.

That's excellent news and good to read this after following the initial threads.

Another TR6 resurfacing.

Enjoy!!

Rob