Any former owners out there?

Hi all. "Whatever happened to".............my car, before I bought it. I hope this new section of the forum can help me uncover any history of my TR2. When I bought the car I received no written history of its earlier life, just a few verbal bits and pieces. My car is 1955 TR2, TS7072, reg. XPJ 6. Sold when new by Carrs Autos of Croyden. Restored and sold by Northern TR's around 1990. It then had three owners in the Humberside area (none of whom I have been able to contact) before I bought it in April 2002. I believe it can be seen in one picture in Bill Piggott's latest book. Any info will be gratefully received.

Regards. Les.

• 5 months later...

Well............six months on and no replies to my request for information on my car,  1955 TR2...reg XPJ 6. For those of you with Bill Piggott's latest book 'Triumph TR', there it is in the very first photograph in the book, taken by Graham Lowe apparently just after its restoration around 1990. Surely someone out there has come across this car before? Is Graham Lowe anywhere to be found? Where are the people that worked on the restoration at Northern TR's? I have written to the three last owners of the car with no replies. The car seems to have spent its most recent years in the Yorkshire area. Has my car been dropped here by aliens? I have a heritage certificate so I know the registration number is original and issued in Surrey, 1955.

............H....E....L....P................M....E........ :(

anyone called Lewis amongst the owners... used to know of a bloke by that name who had one in the Yorkshire Area (I think it was a 2, maybe a 3... only ever saw it from behind.

It's keepers documents would have shown it either in Acklam or in Great Fryupdale.

Would be a total coincidence if it was... he had the first two (non TR7's) TR's I ever saw!

Thanks to Graeme, I now have a few leads to follow up by snail-mail. I will post any updates. It seems that my car spent some time in the Cleveland area before moving to Humberside. More info will be appreciated.

Regards.    Les

• 1 year later...

Well...........18 months after I posted this search, the first posting on this new section of the forum, I arrived home to find a message on my answerphone from the former owner of my car who actually did the restoration. It was restored privately and not by Northern TR Centre as I had been told. One return call later and I am due to receive in the post lots of photos to scan and return, lots of receipts, handbook, and even the import documents. It seems my car, although a UK RHD original, was taken abroad for a while before being returned home and being re-registered with its original registration number.

Les.  :D

• 10 months later...
Please email: office@tr-register.co.uk - we have been sent some further useful information about your car.

Oh no Les, not the dreaded "outstanding HP"? :D

Les, let's hear all about it - I'm currently trying to locate TRK’s first owner who was a Wing Commander Peter Terry - anyone know him? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
Guest patrick
Hi all. "Whatever happened to".............my car, before I bought it. I hope this new section of the forum can help me uncover any history of my TR2. When I bought the car I received no written history of its earlier life, just a few verbal bits and pieces. My car is 1955 TR2, TS7072, reg. XPJ 6. Sold when new by Carrs Autos of Croyden. Restored and sold by Northern TR's around 1990. It then had three owners in the Humberside area (none of whom I have been able to contact) before I bought it in April 2002. I believe it can be seen in one picture in Bill Piggott's latest book. Any info will be gratefully received.

Regards. Les.

Les

Interesting to see this post on my old TR2. Yes: TS7072, reg XPJ 6. That's correct. Bought Feb 1967 from a chap in SE London for £150 with 93K on the clock. Sold July 1972 having done another 41K. Speedo packed in and changed at 94,500. First registration was to a chap in London W1 - think I can remember details. I was about the 6th owner. Previous owner had just fitted a recon engine. I used the car very little for about 18 months 1968 to 69 - co car - and nearly sold it but couldn't really part with it. Might then have soon gone for scrap. A return to college in 1969 said goodbye to co car and I kept the TR for another 3 years, by which time people were starting to restore them.

How did I like it? Yarning with a former TR3A owner, the other chap said he'd been told: Either it'll kill you or you'll love it. Know what he meant. Too much right foot out of a corner shot the tail out. I only made that mistake once. Then I loved it. Had to sell because I needed a more reliable main car. Couldn't afford to keep a second car. Lots of happy memories.

• 1 year later...

Well............I checked back on this post today for the first time since February 2005, so I had missed the last four postings.

I have emailed the Register office to see what info they may have for me as mentioned by Chris Cunnington.

I never did receive the promised history from the chap that restored the car, and have lost his contact number. If he reads this maybe he will contact me again, I hope so anyway.

Very interesting to see the mileages quoted by Patrick, as I have added the same amount, 41k, during my ownership since April 2002. one much used TR2!

Regards

Les

Edited by Les
Oh no Les, not the dreaded "outstanding HP"? :D

Les, let's hear all about it - I'm currently trying to locate TRK’s first owner who was a Wing Commander Peter Terry - anyone know him? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

Try googling Wing Commander / Sir Peter Terry.

Seems he went on to become an Air Chief Marshall.

• 1 month later...
Les,

Please email: office@tr-register.co.uk - we have been sent some further useful information about your car.

Chris Cunnington

General Manager

TR Register

:( no more info about my car, nothing arrived in the post, and our office have no idea what the "further useful information" was. :(