The Triumph AuctionWatch site, mentioned elsewhere on the Forum, has already added a new section . . .

This one is called Variants and covers the Peerless GT, Warwick GT and Swallow Doretti - a real bonus for us variant types, trawling ebay for obscurities.

Well done Steve, and many thanks !

Link to the new section

http://www.triumphauctionwatch.com/auction...amp;country=GBR

Cheers,

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ed,

Presumably you're referring to our recently acquired Peerless ? 'Our' as in family project !

The body looks pretty good, until you get closer . . . it is a new, or at least unused, Ph 2 shell from 1959-60. It appears surprisingly lightweight, almost as if it was built as a competition shell - a lot of areas seem a good deal thinner than other Peerlesses I've seen. Inevitably it's suffered quite a lot of damage over nearly half a century of, I'd guess, being periodically hefted around. The other pieces, doors, bonnet and boot, are also nos. We also have a large proportion of the original body, some interior trim, and a fair proportion of body and interior of a second car, plus odd other panels.

Tom has now substantially repaired the shell, with help from colleagues at Essex Boatyards, although there is still a lot to do bodywise. We removed it from the chassis on Saturday. The rolling chassis is, to put it politely, in need of nut'n'bolt renovation. I doubt the car has moved under its own power for 30 years. Judging by various aspects of damage and attrition, it had a hard life . . . possibly including rallying and/or offroading ? No, I'm not joking. And there are more than a few bits missing. On the plus side, engine is definitely the original, albeit seized, and the gearbox and diff look to be the original units too.

The rolling chassis will be trailered to Mere shortly, leaving Tom to finish bodywork whilst we strip the mechanics out of the spaceframe at this end. Meanwhile, I'm acquiring parts . . .

Tom has been comprehensively photographing his labours, a principle we'll continue with the mechanical side as it comes apart and goes back together. Hopefully at some future stage there'll be more detail in print and/or on the 'net.

Cheers,

Alec

Fantastic news, but a lot to get done in time for Malvern!!

Is it true that Tom will be racing it? Amazing way for raising the profile of a 50 year old car that's not widely known about!

Celia will have to watch for the competition :-)

Keep us posted on any updates, will be good to see another Peerless on the road/track.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Yes, the car was purchased purely for racing, although it will also be road legal. Hence buying a basketcase, at least rebuilding from the ground up you know it's as good as you can make it. Structurally and mechanically that is, cosmetics are secondary !

Cheers,

Alec