tr7 su carbs - will they fit??

hi all

i have been having loads of problems with the strombergs that are on 'my little baby', and not being very mechanically minded but not fearing having a go, wondered if a set of Hs6 su's originally from a tr7 could be adapted to fit?

ideally needs to be fairly cheap to do as i require a new hood, as well as the front end being resprayed so you can imagine i need to keep costs down, especially with the expensive liquid gold at the mo.

many thanks for any info

k

SU carbs from a TR7, amongst others, will surely fit on a TR6 especially a LHD one. If I remember well, the 2 rods between the carbs need to be made longer and you will need other needles. Perhaps the piston springs are not correct either, but I wonder how one can tell if the listed springs are better than the TR7 springs. Dolomite1850 SU's can also be adapted for a TR6.

hi and thanks for the replies so far,

marvmul, again excuse the lack of knowledge, but is there anything for the linkages from the strombergs that could be saved and adapted or will i need to start looking around for other spares, Gary, i have already bought a complete set with manifold and linkage but thanks for the offer, if anything is useless on it i will drop you a call, i am from the staffs area btw.

cheers

k

Kegsie, the rods can made longer by welding a short piece of rod on them. Some clearance should be maintained to avoid strain on the butterflies.

The linkages that connect the SU's together on a Dolomite Sprint 2litre are longer than those on a TR7 and therefore may well be the length you require. It would be worth seeing if any are available from fleabay as it could be the answer you need.

Regards

Gary

thanks again for the answers

sounds like a good idea for the sprint linkages ngtf, i have already bought the carbs im afraid alec so i will give fleabay a try or have a go at manufacturing some when i finally get round to fitting. the TSSC show at stafford showground is in august this year so i may have a look around there as i only live down the road.

cheers

k

Hi Kegsie,

I may be a little late in posting a comment, but I have fitted a pair of Su HS6's from a Dolomite Sprint to my TR6. The throttle and choke rods that go between the two carbs on the Sprint are not long enough when the carbs are fitted to the TR6 inlet manifold.

I went to B and Q and bought a length of aluminium rod for a couple of pounds and cut two lengths to size.

I hope the picture helps. I also used the accelerator linkage from the Sprint.

Good luck,

Chris

post-3656-1215381596_thumb.jpg

post-3656-1215381596_thumb.jpg

Chris,

thats brill mate, when the carbs arrive i will find myself having a wonder down to B&Q and will manufacture just like yours i think, can i ask what air cleaner(s) you are using?, i have just bought (without seeing) some ram pipes to give these a try but not sure if this is the right way to go.

thanks for the photo, it will come in handy

cheers

k

Hi Kegsie,

I used the original large oval airbox that was fitted to my Strombergs. Triumph in their infinite wisdom made the Stromberg interchangeable with SU's where they mount to the inlet manifold, but the three holes that mount the airbox to each carb are upside down, so you have to refit the original airbox upside down as well. Not a problem because it is oval, but it does mean that the airbox now sucks air in from the back of the engine bay, not the front. I cut two new holes at the, now, front of the airbox and closed up the original holes at the back. The airbox now draws in nice cold air from the front, via a pair of plastic pipes, as per original.

It would have been easier just to go down the trendy route of fitting a shiny pair of K+N's, but I'm from the Tightwad School of Automotive Engineering and didn't see the point of spending £95 on a pair of performance filters that suck in hot air from the engine bay. I have replaced the two original round air filter elements with K+N's, as the oiled cotton elements are far superior to the old paper elements.

If you have already bought the rampipes, depending on how long they are, you could use airsocks over them or fit them inside a pair of deeper K+N's. I haven't tried it but hundreds of people out there must have.

You may need to refurbish your SU's. I did mine and followed Moss' advice and fitted BDQ needles and heavier 8oz yellow springs. I replaced the throttle shafts and got rid of the butterflies with the poppet valves and replaced them with plain butterflies.

I also took out the two Waxstat units at the base of the jets and replaced them with two 1p coins apiece. I considered spending 4p much more effective than spending £53.94 on a pair of jet conversion kits. The Triumph Dolomite Club printed an article on how to do this conversion in issue 119 Nov/Dec 2006. I gets rid of the hot starting problems that can occur when the Waxstats make the mixture too weak.

Have fun with it all,

Chrispost-3656-1215595643_thumb.jpg

post-3656-1215595643_thumb.jpg