Hi

I have just completed the LeJog touring trial in my MGB (hood down all the way!) and have now got rather bitten by the bug.

Next year I want to do the reliability trial and perhaps other rallies, which is going to mean a few mods to make the car more suitable (and it needs a bit of repair!)

As I prefer the looks of the TR4/TR4A and think it would be more suitable, the MGB was an impulse first classic buy before I looked around, I want to change car before spending out on making it more suitable.

Now to the reason for the message, as someone with limited knowledge of TR's I would appreciate advice on:

- advantages/disadvantages to a TR4 or TR4A

- anything to look out for - I had thought hardtop (done it hood down already!), overdrive etc

- what modifications would be suggested  

Thanks

Cedric

I'm no TR4 expert but see my posting below on LE JOG.  Pleased to see you made it in one piece...................what did you think of the Garbole stage after Aviemore.

Bob

Bob

The touring trial did not do this stage.

The touring trial has to visit each control while open, preferably following the recommended route, the reliability trial adds a few "special" stages, such as timed events around a course of cones, sections of road that have to be done at specified speeds and even crossing deep fords.

It is the reliability trial that I would like to do next year!

Cedric

Cedric

Pity you didn't get the chance to do Garbole, its a real class stretch of road with some big unforgiving rocks just off it to catch out the unwary.

Touring or Reliability you still did well.  I went along to the Main Control at Aviemore and it was damn cold out there.  Must admit from reading the regs on it and looking at the route details at the halt it looks a real challenge and reminded me a lot of the days when I used to do a lot of road rally navigating.

Wouldn't mind doing it next time if TR6's are eligible.........just means I've got to get right down to Lands End first.  Still, the run home at the end wouldn't be too bad!

Bob

Guest mrodbert

Cedric,

I've also just finished Le Jog. We were in the Reliability trial in a (now very off) White TR4. We were the very very tired ones. We were also in the same class as some real experts (Willy Cave, Robin Eyre-Maunsell, etc.) so didnt do so well on handicap as we might have done. Did you get beaten by the armoured car? Now those guys really were crazy.

On the car, what car you get depends on what sort of events you want to enter. I was faced with exactly the choice facing you about 2 years ago and chose a road standard 1963 TR4, which we then modified, for the following reasons:

- wiser heads than I seem to suggest that the live rear axle is more robust than the IRS version and I've seen nothing to disprove that.

- a 4 allows you to compete in pre-62 classes. Some organisations (the CRA mostly) use 62 as a cutoff point, some use 67 (HRCR I think). However, I have seen the 4A shown as a variant not as a new model in which case 4s and 4As compete together. It just depends on the event.

- the 4s were rallied in period so there are lots of nice bits that were homologated and you can use without penalties.

So most people suggested a 4 over a 4A, but you pays your money...

On the top - definitely go for a Surrey top with the Aluminium roof section. Ours is open in the summer for touring, but then virtually a coupe for serious winter rallying. I couldnt do it in an open car, not with maps, regularity schedules and watches and the roll cage fits better. Revington do one that specifically "hugs" the surrey top.

If you're interested, the other 4 in the Reliability section is for sale. It belongs to some friends of ours who pranged their MGB on the Winter Challenge and when it wasnt fixed in time and they'd already entered Le Jog had to buy another car, hence the TR4. The bad news is its done Le Jog and needed a new diff afterwards. The good news is its got a new diff and they did a lot of the basic work to turn it into a rally car (skid plate, alternator, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Mark