Tr3a rally conversions

can an expert tell me what kind of conversions/upgrades are allowed w/o penalty on a TR3A for historic rallying in HERO, FIVA or other events? (I am not referring to time keeping or navigational equipment but looking for info on engine tuning, chassis, electrical, suspension,exhaust, etc....)

Any upgrades one should certainly do even with the penalties? Any books/papers available on the subject?

So far there is no reply to my post. Are there no fellow TR3A owners that participate in road rallying (HERO, FIVA,...) and log in from time to time (and want to release their secrets)? There must be, as there was a good interest in starting a specific rally forum. Meanwhile I have downloaded the FIA rules for historic cars, rallies and some info that I could fiind on the Hero web site. But still I would like to see some advise from experienced rally men with specific examples of what one can do, should do and/or is allowed to modify on a TR3A. Come on let us read some good advise here.

Rudi,

Although not extreme this is what I did to my TR3A to do the LE JOG (HERO event)

Roll over bar, 4 point harnesses, fire extinguisher, reversing light (vital), rear fog light, front spot and fog lights (had to be disabled in North Wales for some reason), alternator (Rover 200 circa 1986 item), long sump guard and rally springs.

Performance Wise

I had a TR4a engine (inc head), gear box and SU carbs fitted already and having declared these I was OK.

Any specifics please ask. I noticed a TR4 was running with Webers, I'm not too sure about homologation etc.

John

Thx for the reply and your experience John. Re. the TR4, I believe Webers are allowed as they were part of the period factory modifications for TR4 works rally cars.

The TR3(A)'s have also been used as works rally cars. I wonder if there is any literature on the factory modifications for those cars. I understand these would be seen as period upgrades and therefore allowed (??). I ask myself if eg. an extractor manifold incl. big diam sports exhaust system would be allowed. What about the TR4A/5/6 brake discs and calipers (because of availability and price of spare parts and pads). What about a dual circuit brake system (for safety reasons)? A lot of questions are open.

Also, the FIA rules seem to be different from the HERO ones which are again different from the FIVA ones.

I would like to go for a FIVA ID-card to start with (to be able to compete in FIVA Rallies). I believe very minor modifications are allowed here, on paper at least. Because if one has a close look to cars competing in such FIVA events, you notice a lot of modifications and accesories that according the written rules are not accepted. But these cars start anyway. I ask myself what the rules are. Only the rallymen/scruteneers out there will be able to tell I guess. Lets be on the lookout for their posts.

Rudi, In the Classic Racing world I have noticed exactly what you mentioned in your post. There are rules, but they are not necessarily followed, if you brake them it depends on the sruteneer how much weight he allocates to it. I think a 100% follow up of the rules would empty the starting grid at the same speed a thirsty Englishman or Belgian would empty a pint. Small alterations are mostly tolerated as long as no one is complaining, anyhow who is going to dismantle an engine to verify if the insides are standard. This would probably kill the Clasic Car sport straight away. Safety devices are the most important subject to be checked. For rallies anyhow technical reliability is far more important than HPs or speed.

Jean